Help with charging Dell laptop on investor? (1 Viewer)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,
In our quest to be self sufficient power wise the only issue we are yet to solve is the charging of our Dell laptop when off hook-up.

Does anybody on fun successfully charge their Dell laptop via a Pure Sine Wave invertor? Our current modified sine wave inverter does not work and we've tried a 12v charger lead which allegedly should have worked but didn't. :Sad: As it's quite an investment it would be good to get some feed back.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have used (with 100% success so far) an Everfast Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor which I bought from Maplins.

It converts my 12 volt DC up to 18 volts (you have several settings) and comes with a variety of connectors.

I use a Sony Vaio VGN-TZ31VN laptop (which cost me almost as much as my van did!) and it has done the job perfectly...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi,
In our quest to be self sufficient power wise the only issue we are yet to solve is the charging of our Dell laptop when off hook-up.

Does anybody on fun successfully charge their Dell laptop via a Pure Sine Wave invertor? Our current modified sine wave inverter does not work and we've tried a 12v charger lead which allegedly should have worked but didn't. :Sad: As it's quite an investment it would be good to get some feed back.

I used a Dell Air and Car charger until Rita bought me a Compaq laptop, which made the charger redundant and surplus to requirement. :winky: I used it to recharge my 70 watt Dell, and Sundowners used it to recharge their 90watt Dell

The charger is in excellent working order. If interested please PM me.

Regards,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
You're all getting me worried now! :Eeek:

I've just ordered a DELL Laptop!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I've been charging my Toshiba on the inverter very successfully for 3 years so what is the difference with a DELL?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You're all getting me worried now! :Eeek:

I've just ordered a DELL Laptop!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I've been charging my Toshiba on the inverter very successfully for 3 years so what is the difference with a DELL?
not sure but i think Dell have some kind of sensing circuit in the charger socket.....if it doesnt reconise the plug as a genuine Dell accessory it wont charge..:Angry:

just looked at my Dell plug and it looks like it has a dual earth and single live pin.
the outer sleeve (presumably earth) is metal on the outside and inside with an insulating ring between.

could be the reason other plugs wont work

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a couple of Dells, in the van i use something likeLink Removed Its not this exact one but you get the idea, but mostly I use this [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002XDERD8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00361SXOA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1TW0K2DW81C122EM6DAY"]these[/ame] to charge stuff while on the move.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I have used (with 100% success so far) an Everfast Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor which I bought from Maplins.

It converts my 12 volt DC up to 18 volts (you have several settings) and comes with a variety of connectors.

I use a Sony Vaio VGN-TZ31VN laptop (which cost me almost as much as my van did!) and it has done the job perfectly...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

£30 Pounds can you get me 2 off them and a van

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a 12v charger similar to those mentioned by JJ and Jim which I bought via eBay a few years ago.

The thing to do, though, is check the wording in the listing because some will list the machines they will work with and some will list machines (e.g. Dell, Samsung) that they will not work with.

If in doubt ask the seller before purchasing.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Prior to buying the original Dell Charger, I purchased chargers from Maplins and from Ebay, having been assured that there was a Dell charging pin in amongst the adaptors. Absolute rubbish. Both items had to be returned.

The only one to actually work, was the original Dell product, and that its the one I am in possession of. :thumb: Dell have it stitched up.

Regards,

Jock.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi,

I have a dell pc My van came with an inverter (non sine wave) and I use it to charge both dell computer and mobile phone with no problem (no damage ) for over 15 months now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back