Help with adding folding panels. (1 Viewer)

Transit Neil

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self build Transit
Exp
Since 2018
Can anyone offer me any advice on adding folding panels? I currently have a 50W panel on my roof with a PWM controller and a 110a lead acid battery. Over the winter, I would like to add another battery, and a 150W folding panel. When I put out the folding panel, what is the best way to connect it up to the battery? Do I just connect it with the crocodile clips?

I wasn't sure if having 2 power sources would ruin the batteries. Will the PWM controller cope? I will upgrade this anyway, but I'm trying to work out the best way to do it. Thanks for reading. Neil.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
To save faffing about accessing the battery and using croc clips I'd fit a permanently connected socket for the battery and a mating (shielded) plug for the panel.
I can't help with circuitry or controllers though.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
As Spriddler has said, a male and female socket is best, a more positive connection and less messing about. I would use a seperate controller also for the solar panel.
The 50w panel won't give you much power, if you can change it for a bigger panel that may help. Certainly the bigger battery bank will help also. I would connect the 2nd battery to the first and a lead with plug from both batteries to the 150w fold up. solar. panel via a controller. Some fold ups come with a controller. You may also need to secure the panel to your van when you go out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you are going to connect a socket to the battery with a short wire, it's best to wire in an inline fuse in the positive wire near the battery. For a 150W panel a 15A fuse should be fine.

Some panels come with special solar panel connectors. These are very good, 100% weatherproof and UV resistant etc, but can be a pain to take apart without the special tool, which you can never find when you need it. There are many possible plug and socket types available, but I like to use MNL (Mate'N'Lok) connectors, which have separate crimp terminals. I find standard NON-insulated crimp pliers work fine on MNL terminals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back