bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Thanks for all the help. This morning I went out and connected the original lead (blue 16amp to 13amp 3 pin) to a domestic extension lead and plugged it into the downstairs ring main socket. Everything works in the van (well, everything I have not disconnected) but charger now works. Plugged electric kettle into outside socket and house tripped again. Would not reset until outside spur turned off.
Electrician on his way to sort out.
Will post result if he tells me what he finds.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Thanks for all the help. This morning I went out and connected the original lead (blue 16amp to 13amp 3 pin) to a domestic extension lead and plugged it into the downstairs ring main socket. Everything works in the van (well, everything I have not disconnected) but charger now works. Plugged electric kettle into outside socket and house tripped again. Would not reset until outside spur turned off.

Bertiebasset, that's a result, saves taking the van apart (y). Now just to see what he finds

Cheers

Trevor

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Unlikely there is discrimination between RCDs, both 30mA
Disconnection time for 30mA at 5 times current
RCD times are 300msec.@ x1. 40msec.@ x5. ( TT systems it's 200msec.@ x1. )
The trip time of 200ms at x1 is for the older RCD types BS4293, for BS EN 61008 trip times are 300ms max.
Depends how old the RCD is in the van, new in the house and there's no discrimination between the RCDs
When doing a ramp test on RCDs even from the same manufacture they all trip at slightly different times/mA (however within the required times to comply with the regs) so possibly why house tripping before van
The latest spec RCDs check for things the old ones don't. As I mentioned in my first post we had an earth/neutral fault in the house which didn't come to light until we had the latest RCDs fitted - which replaced some which were only ten years old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like what he will find is something he didn't do right the first time! :) But of course there may be a fault in the socket itself and it isn't the wiring but if he had tested the installation after completing the work this should have been picked up, especially if this was for outdoor wiring. The trouble is of course a tester of the sort he would need cost about £500 upwards - so it isn't surprising some of the smaller outfits skip this requirement. Something like this: http://www.test-meter.co.uk/megger-mft1710-multifunction-tester/

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO much safer to do your own electrics.:LOL:

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The previous owner of my son's house felt competent like many others and one night his wife was showering the children and smelt burning. On investigation I found a burnt cable in the loft. The shower with a 9kw element had been wired in undersized cable. Luckily there was no fire.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Either the outside socket does not have the correct IP rating, or loose neutral either in socket/FSU

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Bertiebasset, that's a result, saves taking the van apart (y). Now just to see what he finds
Trevor
van is in bits inside already.

Sounds like what he will find is something he didn't do right the first time! :) but if he had tested the installation after completing the work this should have been picked up,
It was not a small firm and he had a tester as the 2nd part of the job was to sort out the first floor lightings lack of earth.
see below for findings
IMO much safer to do your own electrics.:LOL:
Lenny see finding for doing your own....

Ok, electrician came and problem now solved. The armoured cable came with Brown, Grey and Black core. Now I fitted the socket outside, ran the armoured cable into the house and told the electrician it was wired Brown - Live, Grey - Neutral, Black - earth and he agreed that is correct wiring,,,,,, trouble is I had wired Brown - Live, Black - Neutral, Grey - earth. So my bad but in defence yer onna, he should have checked too. I did put in my reverse polarity plug in and it gave me 3 lights so all ok..... but as has been pointed out now,, it does not show neutral/earth swapped,, only neutral/positive fault.
Sorry for the delay in answering but I am having difficulty with the site at present.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
van is in bits inside already.

It was not a small firm and he had a tester as the 2nd part of the job was to sort out the first floor lightings lack of earth.
see below for findings

Lenny see finding for doing your own....

Ok, electrician came and problem now solved. The armoured cable came with Brown, Grey and Black core. Now I fitted the socket outside, ran the armoured cable into the house and told the electrician it was wired Brown - Live, Grey - Neutral, Black - earth and he agreed that is correct wiring,,,,,, trouble is I had wired Brown - Live, Black - Neutral, Grey - earth. So my bad but in defence yer onna, he should have checked too. I did put in my reverse polarity plug in and it gave me 3 lights so all ok..... but as has been pointed out now,, it does not show neutral/earth swapped,, only neutral/positive fault.
Sorry for the delay in answering but I am having difficulty with the site at present.
That's because of European colour harmonisation the black in a 3 phase system is live conductor so on a 3core SWA there trying to get away from using the Black as N (the SWA Could be used on a 3phase system Brown, Black, Grey)
The NICEIC recommend using the Grey as E (even thou the Grey in a 3phase system is also a live conductor)
European madness
Glad it's sorted, that's why you get the electrician in(y)

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Yes, thanks now sorted (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good it's sorted, if I was fitting something someone else had wired I would check it, especially someone who I didn't have any experience of their work. 50/50 blame, but the buck stops with the professional who should have known better.

Edit:
I thought I'd posted this 5 hours ago, just found it sitting in the reply box.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back