Help with 2 battery install needed (1 Viewer)

Floppsy

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
Exp
Hello all

I’m new here and hoping to get some help with changing over my one leisure battery to two batteries on a T5.1 transporter conversion.

The current set up, which was like this when I bought the van, uses a single Bosch S5013 100ah battery beneath the drivers seat (no I know it isn't really a leisure battery), that I intend to replace with two Bosch LFD90’s.

Currently there is a 60A split charger beneath the bonnet that does very little as I have discovered I also have a smart alternator and degenerative braking :ROFLMAO: - Presumably the previous owner didn’t realise!

I’m looking within reason to do more off-grid time and unlikely to use hook ups much and hope to get a good recharge from driving.

Additionally I may want to add solar later but would prefer not to decide this yet.

So the help I’m looking for please is:
Once I have got rid of the the Split charging relay what is the best B to B charger for this job?
Will the current Mains charger (CBE CB516 Mains charger) be suitable for these batteries and the system overall?
Is there anything else I have to be aware of?

Thanks you ?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Have you checked the dimensions of the replacement batteries assume you mean varta ld90s
Charger should be fine if is a 16 amp as the numbers suggest
B2Bseveral good makes victron sterling etc

OP
OP
Floppsy

Floppsy

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
Exp
Thanks for your time mitzimad

Yes the dimensions are identical to the current one and it is the Bosch LFD90 which is apparently the exact same battery as the Varta LFD90 (made in the same factory no less) and although it is 10 quid more than the Varta example on Alpha batteries has double the warranty at 4 instead of 2 years.

I had always intended to use the Sterling BB1260 but when I tried to get some technical help on the installation from them via email I got one sentence replies that looked like they were written by a teenager on their mobile, but most of what I asked was ignored. I don't accept unprofessional and sloppy business practice like this in any way if I'm spending my money with a company, and even if their product was plated in gold wouldn't buy one now through principle. Presumably yet another of these companies who so much business they just don't need any more!

Anyway rant over :swear: therefore I'm looking for an alternative.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Van Bitz Battery Master was not only easy to fit but kept the batteries charged as I would have wished.
I would still urge you to get a solar panel fitted if you want to go off grid.
If you weigh up the cost of electricity on hook-up, three weeks will just about pay for the panel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Van Bitz Battery Master was not only easy to fit but kept the batteries charged as I would have wished.
I would still urge you to get a solar panel fitted if you want to go off grid.
If you weigh up the cost of electricity on hook-up, three weeks will just about pay for the panel.
Wrong way round.... Battery master trickle charges engine battery from leisure battery when correct conditions are met.
OP needs to charge leisure from engine.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Take your pick..
Probably the best on the market.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I had always intended to use the Sterling BB1260
For flooded lead-acid batteries, the usual rule of thumb is to not exceed a charging current of C/5, where C is the battery capacity. So for two 90Ah batteries, keep the current below 180/5 = 36 amps. A 40 amp B2B you could probably get away with, but a 60 amp might be too much.

OP
OP
Floppsy

Floppsy

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
Exp
Thanks Autorouter, I wasn't aware of this. In fact even though I have lost trust in them Sterling suggested using a 60A unit in lieu of the 30A would double the input to the leisure batteries!

For flooded lead-acid batteries, the usual rule of thumb is to not exceed a charging current of C/5, where C is the battery capacity. So for two 90Ah batteries, keep the current below 180/5 = 36 amps. A 40 amp B2B you could probably get away with, but a 60 amp might be too much.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Many thanks HandyAndy, Do you agree with Autorouter that I should limit this to 30A?
I certainly wouldn't disregard what he says (i've seen him give solid advice in the past) but when vehicles are fitted with 120 amp alternators and in a flat or discharged state that could well be be putting half of that amperage into the battery to recharge and that will be on single battery banks!
Lead acid batteries tend to be self limiting by design. The more you try to shove amps into them, the higher the resistance becomes, so they basically only take on board the charge that they want to take.
So it's not so much a 60 amp B2B charger will throw 60 amps at the battery but the B2B charger CAN throw 60 amps at the battery if it wants to accept it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back