Help.....Where has the App gone? (2 Viewers)

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
I suppose the real question is, how do we get it back?

I'm reasonable savvy but by no means a computer tech;
We have a 12 month old Acer Aspire Laptop running Windows 10. The desktop has App's installed from the Microsoft App store.

For no obvious reason, the 'Mail & Calendar' App has just disappeared from the desk top leaving a blank blue square where the App icon had been, which is frustrating.
When I look in settings its still listed but the icon is blank and the 'manage' / 'uninstall' tabs are greyed out and unresponsive, When I open the App store and select the Mail/Calendar App it just says 'this app is already installed and won't let me reload it.
So, I can't uninstall or install it again.

I've tried a "wsreset.exe" without success - it just opens the Microsoft App store.

Is there a knowledgeable Computer savvy Funster out there who knows the right fix? I don't really want to embark on trying multiple well meaning suggestions, it'll just wind me up more. Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you tried running a registry cleaner/repairer such as MVRegCleaner as that can see if it can repair issues ... worth giving it a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is it something as simple as right click the "icon", select Properties, Shortcut Tab, Change Icon, select icon, Apply, OK?:unsure:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am no longer a regular user of Windows, so happy to be contradicted on this. One of the few aspects I really liked about Windows was the System Restore utility and the automatic restore points. Whenever things went strange I would restore to an earlier point and this is what I would be doing in your circumstances, if it is still available.
This link might help

OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Have you tried running a registry cleaner/repairer such as MVRegCleaner as that can see if it can repair issues ... worth giving it a try.
Thanks @Minxy Girl , Yes I've tried that. No good.
Is it something as simple as right click the "icon", select Properties, Shortcut Tab, Change Icon, select icon, Apply, OK?:unsure:
The icon has disappeared and as I've said, options are grayed out and unresponsive.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I find that if you right click or double click where it says installed it will install it again

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you go to Cortana and type in Email what comes up?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have you tried using the web browser version - I find it much nicer anyway!

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Just re-read your question. Go to control panel and go to the area where you manage programs (where you install / uninstall). Find the mail and see if you can uninstall it there . Sorry don’t have a windows machine here with me to give you more precise help but hope it works

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Open Cortana and search for Apps & features

then left click on it and you should get this screen:

upload_2017-11-15_0-13-56.png

Scroll down until you see:

upload_2017-11-15_0-14-34.png

Then left click on it and you should get:

upload_2017-11-15_0-13-1.png

Left click on Advanced Options and you'll see an option to RESET the app, click on it and do whatever it says and see if it sorts it out:

upload_2017-11-15_0-17-42.png

OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Nice one @Minxy Girl -I’ve only got iPhone and I couldn’t recall exactly. Hope it works for @Decaf

@Minxy Girl - I'm really grateful for all the effort you put in to your reply, its very easy to follow. I only wish I had included in my OP that I had already worked through that one without success, and then I would have saved you the trouble. But your effort is very much appreciated, thank you.
I think I'm going to have to take it to a local 'tech' shop, before it goes out of the window.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I take it you have had no success with the Restore procedure. I would guess that having tried eveything suggested there is probably a registry problem, which is where my problems were often to be found. Hence my love of the Restore procedure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
I take it you have had no success with the Restore procedure. I would guess that that having tried eveything suggested there is probably a registry problem, which is where my problems were often to be found. Hence my love of the Restore procedure.

Hi @Pausim - apologies for not acknowledging earlier. I did follow your suggestion but I came to a dead end when I got as far as 'Restore Personal Files' with a message telling me that 'No usable drive was found' and I couldn't make any more progress with finding a restore point.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No need to apologise @Decaf I have not used the procedure in a while and it sounds like they have changed it. Tech shop sounds like a good idea.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Decaf
Out of curiosity have you just updated laptop to Creators Edition of Win 10?
If so, "missing icons" resulting from this is a known issue for some.
Believe there is a new Windows update out in last day or so (KB4048955?) that may fix it?

Alternatively, you could try reinstalling from a Command Prompt.

Or alternatively, you could try rolling back to previous version of Win 10.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back