Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Having decided to buy a newer van, we have put out Frankia A610 (our first MH since a VW camper 30 years ago) up on the market and now had an offer.

The big problem now is what to buy.

One of the biggest 'problems' I see when searching the internet is Left Hand Drive. That is I want LHD, the Frankia had LHD and I loved it, because when on familair UK roads it wasn't an issue, and when on unfamilar continental roads I found it really nice to be on the properside of the road. Do other feel the same, or am I just being a bit strange?

Then also, having had a bed above the cab and a made up bed in the lounge, I think I would realy like a pre-made up bed area.

The Frankai was 6.1metres, and I don't think I'd want to be driving something much longer, may be a max of around 6.8.

I'm not thinking of buying brand new, something a few years old but not > 5.

What do you think? Any ideas? Pitfall to look out for?

Alan

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
I know I'm talking to my self, but a bit of an update - OK, so having had a look at some motorhome, here are some of my thoughts

1. corner rear beds are a bit small andclaustraphobic
2. full width rear fixed beds tend to be over garages and basically too high for limited ability access

So I am modifying my thoughts and thinking 'rear lounge' or twin rear singles.

In terms of manuafacturers it would appear to me that based on price and therefore a perception of quality, in descenting order

Hymer
Dethleff
Hobby
Burstner
Auto-Sleepers
Eldis
Swift

Have I git that approximately right?

Like anythink I assume its not worth buying the most expensive or the cheapest, but teh middle ground give good value for money? What is you opinion?

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would add Niesmann + Bischoff and Laika to your list both very well made.

Happy Hunting

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Just move the Dethleff one below the Burstner and forget the British ones.

Laika, Rapido, euramobil and of course Frankia spring readily to mind.

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi, I think its down to personal tastes so it’s impossible to advise, I have been looking for two years and I still have not found what I want, I keep changing my mind on what I want.
The only thing that never seems to change is what I like I can’t afford, but with the time it is taking me to find a MH I may have saved up enough to be able to afford it.

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Thank for the input. The Hymer looks great but about 10K above my top end.

Narrowing in on a couple of options. Including a Dethleff A (I30) class with rear lounge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have the French bed (rear corner bed) and find the layout very good in our Hymer the bed is 7' long so the person on the inside can get out without disturbing the other one.We had the same layout in our last caravan.

If we change van we are now tempted with the twin bed layout as you get easy access bed & a garage.

Forget about British vans quality is not on par with German out of your list I would go for Hymer they use the Pual system steel frame no timbers, PU foam & marine ply for the inner walls.

Dethleff, & Burstner are part of the Hymer group I would say Burstner is the next one down from Hymer.

For a LHD look here:

Link Removed

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
Hi alanf

We've been offered 30k trade in for our Dethleffs, could be a bit of a bargain for someone as i reckon it'll be in the dealer's showroom for 35k next month, however, i'm a bit nervous about a private sale for this amount of cash.

Take a look, Good luck in your search whatever you decide to go for.

Bryan

Dethleffs Advantage A6971/SG Luxus Motorhome
An ideal family van with the benefit of having 4 forward facing seat belts (option to fit 2 more) and as well as a large double berth over the Luton, the dinette & rear U lounge convert into generous double berths. Large garage under rear U lounge accessed from outside.

Fiat Ducato X250 3.0l 160 Multijet
Length: 24’ (7.33m)
Height: 10'4" (3.15m)
M.A.W. 4000kg
M.I.R.O. 3380kg
Layout: Front Double Dinette Rear U Lounge
Berths: Six Berth
Mileage: 7000
Full Mechanical and Habitation service history
First date of registration 01-03-2007
Tax & Test March 2011

Specification:
-Engine upgrade from 2.3l to 3.0l
-Dethleffs alloy wheels
-Truma 6002 dual fuel heating and hot water system
-Blown air heating function
-Thetford cassette toilet with electric flush
-Washroom with separate shower
-On board 102 litre fresh tank
-Underslung 90 litre waste water tank
-Kitchen area with plenty of storage cupboards and sink
-Spinflo gas oven and grill
-Three burner gas hob
-Dometic 175 litre three way fridge freezer with AES function
-All round blinds and flyscreens
-Panoramic rooflight in living area
-Five 230v mains sockets
-Two 12v sockets

Luxus pack which includes:
-Rear ladder and roof rails
-Curved habitation door
-Flush fitting habitation windows
-Dometic extractor hood
-Digital on-board control panel
-Cab entrance steps
-Remis cab blinds
-Wood effect cab dashboard
-Electric windows
-Climate control in cab
-Radio CD player

Fitted Extras
- Sky satellite box
- Oyster Vision II 85cm auto satellite
- 2 x Avtex TV/DVDcombi
- Habitation air-con
- Reversing camera
- Fiama wind out awning
- Towtal towbar
- Cycle rack
- Cobra alarm

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 22

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Guys this might fit your bill, albeit its a right hand drive

Link Removed

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Bryan/Exustrek

You don't specifically say whether your Dethleff is Left Hand Drive or Right Hand? Your motorhome looks the business, and if it was LHD I think would be perfect (maybe a lttle too big but hey ho)

Went a long way to see a 2 year old Dethleff Integrated Globebus, which was 6 meters A class rear lounge, it was very nice, but too small for us. It needed another 0.5 metre so that it actually has a food cupboard and a bit more storage, and somewhere to tuck the dog-crate. The under seat / locker storage was pretty minimal. Our (sold now) Frankia has so much storage underfloor as practically the whole van floor is accessible. Also, I realise how much we use the luton area whilst in transit.

So in conclusion, A-Class and low-level may no be the way to go. Standard van coach built with luton, and a made up double 'down stairs' either end or mid lounge doesn't really matter.

Why do they put ovens in UK vans. Whats wrong with just a micro-wave/combi grill? Do people reall cook sunday roast in their motorhomes?

The quality of the Dethleff build was really good. I haven't seen in side a newish Hymer (most Hymers I have seen to date are approx 1998) so difficult for me to compare. I have not seen any Burstners yet.

In disapointment with the Defthleff not suiting, did have alook through the dealers new Swift stock, superficially the fit-out seems quite nice in vans like the Bollero (?)

Alan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Bryan/Exustrek

Why do they put ovens in UK vans. Whats wrong with just a micro-wave/combi grill? Do people reall cook sunday roast in their motorhomes?

Alan

Horses for courses as they say I can never see why you would ever want anything mains powered in a van apart from the charger to keep the batteries topped up at home.

We have only the small oven that comes with the TEC Tower, grills a bit naf but the ovens used daily when away, main use cooking par-baked rolls for breakfast, lunch & dinner also great for M&S "dine in for 2 meals".

Had a microwave in our last caravan not as versatile as an oven but reasonably useful as with a caravan were often on sites with hookup, no good in Italy with 3 amp hook up's.

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
You don't specifically say whether your Dethleff is Left Hand Drive or Right Hand? Your motorhome looks the business, and if it was LHD I think would be perfect (maybe a lttle too big but hey ho)

Hi alanf

Our van is a UK model..... RHD.

Happy hunting........ Bryan

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We looked at a lot of vans, but Frankia quality and design made us decide to buy a used Frankia rather than a new van from any other manufacturer.

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
For a LHD look here:

Link Removed

Great link, but I think I have done it all wrong. Probably should have held on to my Frankia and done a road trip to the German dealers. Now I have no way to take that trip except car & hotels - :cry:

If you buy something in Germany how long before you have to register in the UK? I guess if I search the forum I 'll find some useful posts about importing?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a import pack you can download from DVLA website it covers new & used imports. I think it's 10 days but they are flexible insurance can be more of a problem some only give you a few days to register ours was 28 days.

We brought our van in Belgium it was new & RHD so no problem just went into local DVLA office with Insurance, Certificate of Conformity & invoice, tax disc & reg docs came back in a few days and a few days later the VAT invoice. No VAT if vehicle over 6 months old or more than 6000km. A LHD will need headlamps & speedo, read fog if on UK near side converting before registration (they normally accept a copy of the order if you have ordered the speedo etc.).

Be aware when importing from Europe although since 2008 European law allows insurance companies to insure vehicles registered or supplied from other countries in practice they will not cover them until on British soil. In Germany when exporting a vehicle you have to have 3rd party insurance which is easy to arrange when you pick the vehicle up I think you do it at the local TUV office. So you can get 3rd party cover but not fully comp.

Also buying privately in Germany is as safe as it gets as their registration document is in 2 parts the owner has one part & the other is held by their bank as proof of ownership.

Buying new Belgium is a good option Campirama the Hymer dealer gives a 10% discount off German prices (about 20% off Belgium prices) and will sell VAT free, will drive the van to the port for you, so no insurance worries apart from driving on the ferry.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Great link, but I think I have done it all wrong. Probably should have held on to my Frankia and done a road trip to the German dealers. Now I have no way to take that trip except car & hotels - :cry:

If you buy something in Germany how long before you have to register in the UK? I guess if I search the forum I 'll find some useful posts about importing?

Potential saving makes the cost flights, hotels & car hire insignificant just dammed inconvenient.
Worth emailing a few dealers most will give 10% discount, and quite a few will arrange transporting a van to the UK costs a couple of grand though.

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Just to let you know, found a LHD 05 Hymer A-class that suited our needs and budget. Deal done. Many thanks for all your input.

OP
OP
alanf

alanf

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
B634, which has a rear lounge, not strickly U shaped as it has chest of drawers at the end. Apart from the over cab double, the rear lounge can be used as twin singles or made up to a very large double.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back