Help :( we've really bitten off more than we can chew (2 Viewers)

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
We're in switzerland and driving a 7.4m van for the first time in our lives AND it's in snow. We are from Australia and had no idea the roads would be SO small. Today i had one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. We ended up on a mountain road we couldn't turn around on so kept going forward because Google maps routed us through it to the other side. We hit a patch of snow though (my first time ever seeing snow) and we slid a little and i thought we were goingto go backwards down the mountain side. We stopped but couldn't go forward or back. now I'm curled up in the back of a police car on the side of a snowy mountain while they attempt to tow our hire van backwards. I know we were really really silly to get stuck there in the first place. I have been in total panic thinking we are going to fall off the mountain and i am beyond terrified to drive again. We went with the van instead of trains because i am disabled and use a wheelchair. We didn't know a way to transport myself and my partner around for our holiday on trains because i can't pull my own suitcase because I'm in the chair. Please can anyone tell us how to know which roads are wide and safe? We keep getting caught out with Google maps getting in scary places on tiny roads but today i thought i was going to die and this isn't really how my holiday is meant to be. I've not travelled since becoming disabled 6 years ago. We don't know how to manage when we can't predict the roads.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
That "road" looks like a path !
Best place to get "trucker" map is in service station . If you look at satnav you were given , it probably wont have truck setting .
You can perhaps select fastest route when setting Nav route setting . This will keep you off smaller roads .
As for snow driving its a bit like driving on newly graded outback tracks to give you a point of reference .
Where in OZ are you from ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
WoW I don't know where you were heading But I don't think you wanted to be there(y)

Martin
I can tell you, when we slid, i've never wanted to be anywhere else more in my life-also the fact we were as wide as the entire road D: everything went very wrong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure if you know but I think you have used up all your free posts. To post again you will need to become a paid member of the site.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi EMP,

If you need help I'm around tomorrow and can help with language if needed, also routes as well. Just PM me your number and i'll call you.

Would be good to know your location, your intended destination and who you hired from.

Hi @Emp the above poster is in Switzerland so it could be worthwhile you taking up his kind offer, as @Puddleduck has said you are only allowed 5 free posts which you have now used, if you are traveling for a while longer it could be worth investing the £15 which will give you full access to the forum and you can use as many posts as you want.

I am so please to see you are now safe and glad the actual help and support you had outweighed the sceptical posts.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
So glad you're Ok. Unless you really want to stay in Switzerland I'd head in to France on main roads and enjoy everything the country has to offer.
Good road maps are essential. Sat Nav/Google maps are good but can lead you astray - better to plan using maps first.
Please join Motorhomefun and let us know how you are and where you are.
Luckily something as horrible as this has not happened to us but we've been in a few scary moments and, eventually, you can hae a wry laugh about it. Good story to share on a campsite too.
Steph

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
our next stop is somewhere near zermatt
I apologise if you already know this, but you are not allowed to drive up the road to Zermatt. It's obviously possible, for local emergency vehicles and deliveries, but otherwise no vehicles are allowed. Everyone goes in and out by train.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What version of CoPilot allows you to put in vehicle size or restrictions and does CoPilot include traffic and camera alerts. Are future updates included in the price or are they an extra cost.
The one you need is CoPilot Caravan. The price includes updates and it has traffic alerts and camera alerts where allowed by law. No camera alerts for France as they are illegal there and traffic alerts need an internet connection of course.
This is correct for the Android version I use but another user reckoned you had to pay extra for maps on iPhone. I dont know if that is correct but someone will know.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The one you need is CoPilot Caravan. The price includes updates and it has traffic alerts and camera alerts where allowed by law. No camera alerts for France as they are illegal there and traffic alerts need an internet connection of course.
This is correct for the Android version I use but another user reckoned you had to pay extra for maps on iPhone. I dont know if that is correct but someone will know.
On the Europe version you only pay extra for maps outside Europe so €19.99 for North America.

Martin

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The OP's surprise at finding little roads and snow in winter in Switzerland reminded me of last summer when I had parked my motorbike and was sat outside a packed bar in around 30 degrees near the top of the Col de Tourmalet (c.2,500m). The rather well padded, sweaty and exhausted Lycra clad American lass at an adjacent table was giving her sinewy partner one heck of an ear-bashing for all to hear but I nearly spat my coffee out when she shouted hysterically at him: "Yes, you ass....le, but when I agreed to a cycling honeymoon in the f....ing(expletive omitted) Pyrenees you never f....ing told me that the f....ing hills would be so f....ing STEEP!
The tears rolled down my cheeks.

Glad the OP's safe now. As the old saying goes: 'All's well that ends'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Good to see back to a safe situation .Iwould head for the south of France if I was you .Enjoy and take care ,both of you .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
@EM glad it worked itself out in the end. You're currently 25mins away from our house but i'm on the road early tomorrow. Your route to Zermatt is totally fine tomorrow, the roads are all clear up to Täsch. Park at the train station there, loads of places and easy access in/out and take the short train ride in. Lots of snow just above 1500m this year so enjoy that, not in the camper obviously :)

What's your plan after Zermatt ?

There's a really nice thermal bath about 15mins further down the road from Visp at Brigerbad, also there're a campsite there and easy parking etc

https://thermalbad-wallis.ch/en/therme/

If you're heading back this way then me know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
@EM glad it worked itself out in the end. You're currently 25mins away from our house but i'm on the road early tomorrow. Your route to Zermatt is totally fine tomorrow, the roads are all clear up to Täsch. Park at the train station there, loads of places and easy access in/out and take the short train ride in. Lots of snow just above 1500m this year so enjoy that, not in the camper obviously :)

What's your plan after Zermatt ?

There's a really nice thermal bath about 15mins further down the road from Visp at Brigerbad, also there're a campsite there and easy parking etc

https://thermalbad-wallis.ch/en/therme/

If you're heading back this way then me know.

We've decided to try to head to a campsite called attermenzen- we're hoping that going direct to a campsite today will only take us down safe roads? We went to a socar but they only had road maps of France so we're still looking for a truck map. Do you think the roads will be ok going from chillon to attermenzen?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No

I looked this up on the Google play store but couldnt see a 'caravan' option. I've attached a screen shot incase you might know which one i need? I'm so grateful for all this suggestions, i think we came into this holiday uneducated on how challenging it was going to be so any help is really appreciated. this is probably going to be the biggest holiday we can afford for at least another decade so I'm really keen to make it a good experience too. (Being disabled doesn't pay well)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-15-08-42-10.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-08-42-10.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
I apologise if you already know this, but you are not allowed to drive up the road to Zermatt. It's obviously possible, for local emergency vehicles and deliveries, but otherwise no vehicles are allowed. Everyone goes in and out by train.

We appreciate the heads up- fortunately we'd at least managed to figure that one out- if only we'd known this for our attempted mountain assent the other day too though (oh god our ignorance). We're looking to drive chillon to campsite attermenzen today - if there's a problem with that plan though I'd really love to know before we get stuck (I'm still a bit shaken).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
So glad you're Ok. Unless you really want to stay in Switzerland I'd head in to France on main roads and enjoy everything the country has to offer.
Good road maps are essential. Sat Nav/Google maps are good but can lead you astray - better to plan using maps first.
Please join Motorhomefun and let us know how you are and where you are.
Luckily something as horrible as this has not happened to us but we've been in a few scary moments and, eventually, you can hae a wry laugh about it. Good story to share on a campsite too.
Steph

After zermatt we're planning to go to interlaken and then Germany- hopefully this isn't a bad idea :/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
That "road" looks like a path !
Best place to get "trucker" map is in service station . If you look at satnav you were given , it probably wont have truck setting .
You can perhaps select fastest route when setting Nav route setting . This will keep you off smaller roads .
As for snow driving its a bit like driving on newly graded outback tracks to give you a point of reference .
Where in OZ are you from ?

It has no truck setting :(

Is a truck map different to a standard road map? (Ie- will they both be marked on the same map if we can find one?) The service station we went to only had maps of France at the time and nothing on the cover said it was specifically for trucks. We're going to head to another servo today and try to find a swiss one. Also, we're worried about running out of lpg because we have no idea how much we have left- is there somewhere more appropriate i should post questions on how to safely fill the lpg? We werent told when we were given the van that the lpg system is like an open flame so we sat in a petrol station with the heating system on and the lpg door open for 40 minutes the other day trying to work out how to know how much is left *facepalms*

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
"Not available in your area" :/ dammit
OK it would be available by searching I guess but you don't really need the dedicated truck as it is designed for multi drop routes and hazardous loads regulations not just size, the caravan one deals with size adequately I think.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Emp

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
OK it would be available by searching I guess but you don't really need the dedicated truck as it is designed for multi drop routes and hazardous loads regulations not just size, the caravan one deals with size adequately I think.

Martin
I can't seem to find the caravan one either though

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-15-08-42-10.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-08-42-10.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
It has no truck setting :(

Is a truck map different to a standard road map? (Ie- will they both be marked on the same map if we can find one?) The service station we went to only had maps of France at the time and nothing on the cover said it was specifically for trucks. We're going to head to another servo today and try to find a swiss one. Also, we're worried about running out of lpg because we have no idea how much we have left- is there somewhere more appropriate i should post questions on how to safely fill the lpg? We werent told when we were given the van that the lpg system is like an open flame so we sat in a petrol station with the heating system on and the lpg door open for 40 minutes the other day trying to work out how to know how much is left *facepalms*

If the LPG is a permanent set up like Gaslow, as opposed to exchanging the empty gas cannisters for a full one, then there will be a filling point near the gas container. You then connect to the pump and fill up. The garage should be able to help with this. On our system we have a permanent fixture called Gaslow, with two gas containers and on each is a gauge showing how much gas is left. When filling up you just fill them until they are full - they have an automatic cut off at 80% full so they do not overfill.

Not sure quite what you mean by "open flame" or why you are leaving the the heating on with the door open to see how much is left? Can you look at the gas container (or containers if there are two) - are they under the van? If not they will be in a locker accessed from somewhere on the side of the van.

Could you ring the peolple you got the van from and ask them to advise?

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
This is the one you want,sometimes doesn't show up on tablets especially i pads as it is classed as a phone app :doh: I just googled it(y)

image.png

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can't seem to find the caravan one either though
If you go to CoPilotgps.com it should show as the second one down, also on the App store if you are on iPhone,

IMG_1406.PNG

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Another thought. Maybe you could find some motorhomers and talk to them. Many people now have Gaslow (or similar) so you may get some help that way.
Most motorhomers are friendly and very helpful so don't be shy about asking for help and advice. This is the way we've all learned and are still learning.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back