Help Weeping hot water pipe (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have found this hot water pipe under kitchen sink weeps when pump pressured up. It gets worse when the water is hot!
I have tried to retighten the circlip and the black tape is to stop any movement of pipe when travelling but to no avail.

Should I use PTFE tape or is there something else I can do to stop the leak?
2E35412D-0ED3-4169-9BC6-60DBA797B810.jpeg

Strangely the cold water joint which looks less secure does not leak

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
One option if you have slack in the pipes. Cut off the hot pipe where the spigot has been and refit spigot to a ‘fresh’ section of the pipe. Only needs to be about an inch.

Edit…My fingers slower than Lennies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had a similar leak on a cold water T piece.

Tried different size jubilee clips to no avail.

Ended up using PTFE tape as the joint was so loose.

Worked a treat

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you can, take an inch off the hose, new jubilee clip and make sure it's far enough down the hose. Looking at your picture, the jubilee clip on the cold is much further to the right. That may mean the one on the hot is not biting where the grips are on the core.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Way too slow typing. At least we are all consistent. 👍

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Cheers guys will give the cut 1 inch off and refit a go, but be warned I may be coming back to ask “ How do I get a new Red pipe fitted to my van“ because I have cut it wrong 🥴🥴🥴😁🥴

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If there's no slack in the pipe undo the jubilee clip and turn it around the pipe as much as possible.
Warm the pipe with hot rags then tighten the jubilee clip.
PTFE tape won't seal it, its intended purpose is to seal threads.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cheers guys will give the cut 1 inch off and refit a go, but be warned I may be coming back to ask “ How do I get a new Red pipe fitted to my van“ because I have cut it wrong 🥴🥴🥴😁🥴
Why not try ptfe tape first ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can, take an inch off the hose, new jubilee clip and make sure it's far enough down the hose. Looking at your picture, the jubilee clip on the cold is much further to the right. That may mean the one on the hot is not biting where the grips are on the core.
Agreed on that.
Try moving the clip further to the right....as on the blue pipe

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I find jubilee clips are not the best on small diameter pipes, as they tend to distort the 'round' profile. I find the spring clips better. Also they are self tightening, so as the pie expands and contracts the grip tighter.

Looking at the photo, I think it an old bodge. The hoses to the left are tap tails that have 'o' ring seals and are designed to push into the tap base. They are not, in my opinion suitable for joining straight onto 12mm plastic pipe. However a seal could probably be obtained using the suggestions above. One other thing I would do, is dip the newly cut end of the red pipe in boiling water prior to fitting, clamp it and let it cool.

Geoff

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It looks like the cold water feed has a purpose made coupling which probably terminates with a serrated end (possibly John Guest pushfit connector).

If you disassemble the hot water connection, you'll probably find a smooth spigot (where currently the red hose is connected). Hence the leak.

If it has a smooth 12mm dia spigot, you could insert a straight JG coupling + JG serrated adapter, as shown here:

20220109_151123.jpg

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It looks like the cold water feed has a purpose made coupling which probably terminates with a serrated end (possibly John Guest pushfit connector).

If you disassemble the hot water connection, you'll probably find a smooth spigot (where currently the red hose is connected). Hence the leak.

If it has a smooth 12mm dia spigot, you could insert a straight JG coupling + JG serrated adapter, as shown here:

View attachment 573834
Thanks Where do I get them from?

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Well fortunately for me I have only seen you with your clothes on, but if your not sure which bit is on the short side that says it all really......poor Dee, she is a saint.;)
Just you wait til we get up to Mollance Farm again 😎😎

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
If all else fails try self amalgamating tape from Screwfix, catalogue number 2115v. You stretch it as you wrap it round the male spigot, it forms a really good slightly sticky surface that your red pipe will adhere to. I’ve used this on rubber heater pipes in my ancient Morris Minor and it’s held the pipe together for nearly 6 years!

Cheers!

Russ

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If all else fails try self amalgamating tape from Screwfix, catalogue number 2115v. You stretch it as you wrap it round the male spigot, it forms a really good slightly sticky surface that your red pipe will adhere to. I’ve used this on rubber heater pipes in my ancient Morris Minor and it’s held the pipe together for nearly 6 years!

Cheers!

Russ
The rest of it's fallen apart but the heater hoses are still as good as new:(:(

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread