Help. Van won't start. totally dead (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Campers

Not been on for months as we've managed a weekend in van since we got it last September. I went over today and it's totally dead. No lights, alarm, central locking...nothing.
I was going over each month to pay the storage rent and starting it up and running for a while, I brought it home and hooked it up overnight before Christmas too.
I realise it's not ideal to leave the van all that time without a good run. Van's a hymer 568. fiat ducato. I'm not sure where the cab battery is on my van but I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
I think I'm going to put in a new one, any ideas on brand/cost ?
I'm going to have to call Green Flag tomorrow to try and get it going and take it to a local repair place.

any advice welcome and thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t apologise,that’s great news!!!

Im glad I’m not the only plonker on the planet.............not that you are one of those ....Rule 1 applies;);):LOL:

Upvote 0
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Erm....I'm an idiot folks. It's 4am and while standing making a cuppa I remembered the little black toggle switch I was advised by the previous owner to switch off when the van is sitting for a while. It's beside the leisure battery and on all the electronic gubbins in the access hatch halfway down the van....oops
I've taken the battery out and charging at home now and a new battery ordered from Tanya... I now have a spare.
I opened the passenger door to get access to the engine bonnet and because of no power was unable to use the central locking to lock it again. There's no key lock on the passenger side.

I'll get over there asap today and get the old battery in again and a multi-meter is on order

Apologies for my stupidity folks. A lesson learnt:blush:
If you want to lock the passenger side door, look for a little hole near the lock when the door is open. Stick an appropriate sized screwdriver in there and you should find a little lever. Flip that and shut the door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Just enter your registration number on sites such as Europarts or even Halfords both of which have outlets everywhere and it will show you the options for your vehicle. Suggest you stick with lead acid / sealed for your starter battery. I use a Yuasa but there are plenty good makes to choose from.
my van is a Sevel / Boxer, Battery is only 18mths old but I note it needs 3-4 hours of charge on a good ctek charger each month to bring it up to full charge. The alarm system is the constant drain when the van is idle. FYI a lead acid battery can only be discharged to 50% of its rating before it risks damage. Just buy a new battery they are not that expensive. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you want to lock the passenger side door, look for a little hole near the lock when the door is open. Stick an appropriate sized screwdriver in there and you should find a little lever. Flip that and shut the door.

Good to know thanks, I better get over there and have a look. I just had a thought though. If I'm using the isolation switch then I must be turning off power to the alarm and remote locking. I didn't notice when leaving van at the time whether the alarm armed or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Just enter your registration number on sites such as Europarts or even Halfords both of which have outlets everywhere and it will show you the options for your vehicle. Suggest you stick with lead acid / sealed for your starter battery. I use a Yuasa but there are plenty good makes to choose from.
my van is a Sevel / Boxer, Battery is only 18mths old but I note it needs 3-4 hours of charge on a good ctek charger each month to bring it up to full charge. The alarm system is the constant drain when the van is idle. FYI a lead acid battery can only be discharged to 50% of its rating before it risks damage. Just buy a new battery they are not that expensive. Good luck.
Thanks I ordered one from Tanya yesterday

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I am glad your sorted, but can’t really understand the outcome.

So you have a switch in the rear of the motorhome that isolates the battery?

If so doesn’t that just isolate the habitation battery, so they don’t go flat. But the van starter battery will still go flat without use. If the switch turned off the van battery you wouldn’t be able to lock it with remote, arm the alarm, when leaving it.

Sorry if I misunderstood

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I am glad your sorted, but can’t really understand the outcome.

So you have a switch in the rear of the motorhome that isolates the battery?

If so doesn’t that just isolate the habitation battery, so they don’t go flat. But the van starter battery will still go flat without use. If the switch turned off the van battery you wouldn’t be able to lock it with remote, arm the alarm, when leaving it.

Sorry if I misunderstood
Not sure what the switch at the rear does, if it isolates just the leisure battery or all electrics. I'm waiting on delivery of a new battery tomorrow so will be able to check. I can't remember what happened when I flicked the switch. You would think I'd notice if alarm armed or not and central locking operated or not wouldn't you!
I've got the old battery on charge here at home but the charger is an old one and I'm not sure whether it is actually putting a charge in or not. It's a pretty basic one apart from it's age.
I'm tempted to take the old battery over to the van and refit it. Turn the isolator switch back on again and check everything comes on again but seems a waste as the new battery will be here tomorrow.
I say this because I've been looking up some videos in which they say some old basic chargers won't charge a deeply discharged battery. There's nothing on the charger to tell me how much charge the battery is supposed to be at.
I'm waiting on a multi meter arriving or I could check now. I think a decent charger is the next purchase and another poster mentioned Ctek

Upvote 1

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Not sure what the switch at the rear does, if it isolates just the leisure battery or all electrics. I'm waiting on delivery of a new battery tomorrow so will be able to check. I can't remember what happened when I flicked the switch. You would think I'd notice if alarm armed or not and central locking operated or not wouldn't you!
I've got the old battery on charge here at home but the charger is an old one and I'm not sure whether it is actually putting a charge in or not. It's a pretty basic one apart from it's age.
I'm tempted to take the old battery over to the van and refit it. Turn the isolator switch back on again and check everything comes on again but seems a waste as the new battery will be here tomorrow.
I say this because I've been looking up some videos in which they say some old basic chargers won't charge a deeply discharged battery. There's nothing on the charger to tell me how much charge the battery is supposed to be at.
I'm waiting on a multi meter arriving or I could check now. I think a decent charger is the next purchase and another poster mentioned Ctek
I have Ctek, it really is a good bit of kit

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would think that the switch just turns off the power from you habitation battery to all the items you use whilst “camping”, and this is standard on most motorhomes.

So use of this switch won’t change the situation you have with starting the van, and the starter battery is still probably knackered. I personally would replace with new one, and scrap the old so you know what state it’s in.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Thanks for replying. I'd need to take the battery out and bring home to charge it? I'm assuming the battery I found under the panel in cab floor is the starter battery. It looks a bit complicated.
Why is it not good to run the engine without driving?
Because ALL engines suffer most from the initial start up from cold
cold oil sluggish to circulate big drag on battery in the winter
and most horribly if the engine is not run for half to a full hour when idling from cold
the condensation in the oil, the exhaust system, castings does not fully evaporate.
and on switching off the motor, just turns into water, inside all the above mentioned
hence why commercial travellers car engines will last mega miles,
because they are at full temperature for hours of driving each day,
whereas "Mrs local's" will only travel 11/2 miles to the local shop every other day
and the mechanicals never get up to temp and the engine oil emulsifies into mayonnaise crud,
and the exhaust rots from the inside out, and needs changing every 18 months to 2 years.
All vehicles should be started and then driven away DO NOT start up and idle for short periods
sounds as though what you need is to fit an adequate solar panel to keep things topped up
and as a emergency power pack a TrekPow will fit into your glove box, and will fire up a dead
flat battery and start up a 3 litre diesel engine, a real life saver if wild camping and too much TV
has run the batteries down,
Hope this helps your understanding
Good luck

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
yes found info on that. Going for a new battery tomorrow. Hope they come with a decent charge in them
batteries from suppliers normally will have info telling you to trickle charge the new battery until fully charged there is no way of knowing how long the battery has been standing
UNLESS it was filled with acid by the supplier prior to you collecting it
than stand for a few hours and it will automatically charge itself
hope this helps

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2018
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi Campers

Not been on for months as we've managed a weekend in van since we got it last September. I went over today and it's totally dead. No lights, alarm, central locking...nothing.
I was going over each month to pay the storage rent and starting it up and running for a while, I brought it home and hooked it up overnight before Christmas too.
I realise it's not ideal to leave the van all that time without a good run. Van's a hymer 568. fiat ducato. I'm not sure where the cab battery is on my van but I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
I'm going to have to call Green Flag tomorrow to try and get it going and take it to a local repair place.

Are you sure it's the battery and not a jammed starter motor? I had same problem with my moho last month. Sorted by tapping starter with hammer whilst wife turned over the ignition.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2018
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi Campers

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
batteries from suppliers normally will have info telling you to trickle charge the new battery until fully charged there is no way of knowing how long the battery has been standing
UNLESS it was filled with acid by the supplier prior to you collecting it
than stand for a few hours and it will automatically charge itself
hope this helps
Spot on,, I’ve just got a new battery and put it on the Ctek,for six hours,,deep cycle,,,

Upvote 0

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
After fitting a new battery when ours died in the last lockdown because of a faulty step, we did two 40 mile round-trips and on the third, the airbag light came on. It might not be connected, but apparently is known to happen - I think someone has already mentioned airbag ECUs. With ours, it's not just a case of resetting, but a whole new unit.
When you have your new battery fitted and all is working, take a few shorter trips before you set off on a long one!

Upvote 1

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Try Batterymegastore.co.uk,,they deliver and are very reasonable, all the proper well known makes

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think a decent charger is the next purchase and another poster mentioned Ctek
Apart from the problem of getting a mains supply, the other problem is actually connecting the battery charger. If you're lucky, it's just a matter of opening the bonnet or locker and clipping the croc clips on the terminals.

Sometimes the batteries are less accessible - bike battery in a compartment under the seat, leisure battery in the space under the driver's seat, etc. Some battery chargers have a solution for this, including CTEK and Victron.

The charger output wire has a 2-pin connector which they seem to call a Comfort Connector. You can get various wires and attachments that plug into this connector. The charger comes with standard insulated croc clips, and a short lead with eyelet connections that you can fit on the battery terminals, or at least some of them.

In addition you can buy a lead with a cigaretter-lighter plug, so you can plug into a car lighter socket to charge the battery (assuming it's live when the key is removed). And an extension lead if you need it.

I have an eyelet lead permanently attached to both our scooters, and the car battery which is under the boot floor. I also have one attached to the spare battery I keep in the garage. Setting up the charger is an easy 2-minute job.

They sell a panel-mounting socket that has three LEDs to show the battery level, and also have LEDs in some of the cable sockets if you want.

The CTEK MXS5.0 is the biggest charger that also has a motorcycle mode, which is why I have one. Two, actually. I leave one in the car while we are away.
CTEKMXS5.0.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I'm still amazed by how many people are still surprised that their batteries have gone flat over winter ------- without ever charging them :Eeek: :Eeek:
If you're unable to get into the storage facility like I am, then there's nothing you can do about charging them, I haven't seen my MH since the end of October and just hope it's still OK hab wise but fully expect the battery to be flat as a pancake 😕

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
If you're unable to get into the storage facility like I am, then there's nothing you can do about charging them, I haven't seen my MH since the end of October and just hope it's still OK hab wise but fully expect the battery to be flat as a pancake 😕
Although our storage is in lockdown I can ring up and request EHU. At my expense but saves me the worry.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

If you cant charge them throughout the winter you could be buying new batteries every year.
You need to invest in a solar panel and a dual battery solar controller, that would hopefully keep every thing ticking over all winter.

Something like this

<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks I had looked on Halfords site but when I put my reg in it comes up as invalid. Which is the case with a few sites. I suspect it must be the reg belonging to a motorhome rather than commercial or a car. I can give them a call
Even the DVLA come up with mine being Fiat Ducato

Upvote 0

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
On reading this, have you thought about your leisure battery. You have said you are unable to get power to you MH. When you receive your meter, and go to fit the battery, do a voltage check on the leisure as well. Your meter ( if you have not used one before) has settings for mains (AC) and battery’s (DC). Check the booklet to know which is which.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I'm still amazed by how many people are still surprised that their batteries have gone flat over winter ------- without ever charging them :Eeek: :Eeek:

Left my Renault Megane in the garage for 3 years whilst I was away in Hong Kong. Disconnected the battery but that was all. It started when I returned!!! Original battery and is now 11 years old. Still OK.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Left my Renault Megane in the garage for 3 years whilst I was away in Hong Kong. Disconnected the battery but that was all. It started when I returned!!! Original battery and is now 11 years old. Still OK.
But not if the battery was left connected - to the ECU or alarm.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
If you cant charge them throughout the winter you could be buying new batteries every year.
You need to invest in a solar panel and a dual battery solar controller, that would hopefully keep every thing ticking over all winter.

Something like this

<Broken link removed>
As Ginster said, impossible during lockdown,even with solar, at this time of year that’s diddly squat.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back