Help. Van won't start. totally dead (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Campers

Not been on for months as we've managed a weekend in van since we got it last September. I went over today and it's totally dead. No lights, alarm, central locking...nothing.
I was going over each month to pay the storage rent and starting it up and running for a while, I brought it home and hooked it up overnight before Christmas too.
I realise it's not ideal to leave the van all that time without a good run. Van's a hymer 568. fiat ducato. I'm not sure where the cab battery is on my van but I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
I think I'm going to put in a new one, any ideas on brand/cost ?
I'm going to have to call Green Flag tomorrow to try and get it going and take it to a local repair place.

any advice welcome and thanks in advance

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Our Hymer had not been used a lot over the past 12 month's but we have done a few journeys when allowed. Each time we came to it it started alright but just over a week ago hubby came to start it dead absolutely nothing there we thought it must be the starter motor because that's what it sounded like so we replaced the starter motor, knowing that the battery was only just over 12 months old didn't give it much of a thought tried the new starter motor still dead we then got the RAC out as I discovered we had Home-Start I probably should have checked that before outcome is is the battery just 12 months old was completely goosed, we then had to take the battery back where we bought it from for them to test it which they did and confirmed that it was completely dead fortunately they did replace it with a new battery for us so just because your battery isn't very old don't disregard the fact that it can be the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I've decided on a new battery but which one? on reading posts on other sites it can be complicated.
I'd always buy the best I can for the van. I spoke to a repairer yesterday and he mentioned something about doing a campaign on owners going to lithium.
I don't know what is in the van at the moment so no idea if it's AGM or lead acid. I've read so much on it my brains befuddled now
I think the best to buy is the usual acid battery. The lifespan is always 4 to 5 years. So I advice not to spend a lot of money for a starting battery. Please trace your starting engine battery before you buy a new one. You could have a flat battery or a loose connection. Trace it and give it a 24hour charge then decide if you need a new one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I think the best to buy is the usual acid battery. The lifespan is always 4 to 5 years. So I advice not to spend a lot of money for a starting battery. Please trace your starting engine battery before you buy a new one. You could have a flat battery or a loose connection. Trace it and give it a 24hour charge then decide if you need a new one.
Already gave it a 24hr charge and nothing. Van wouldn't start. Got a new battery. Started no problem. I've no idea how old the old one was as I only got the van last september. I'll take your advice when buying a hab battery though and stick with lead acid considering the price of lithuim. No idea how old the have battery is either

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
I took the battery out today and it's a Fammia? anyone heard of it? there's not many markings on it other than that.
Can I also ask another newbie question? if I bring the van home every two weeks or so and put it on hook up does this charge both the hab and leisure battery's?
Yes Fiamma is a good battery. It is used on many motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back