Help. Van won't start. totally dead (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Campers

Not been on for months as we've managed a weekend in van since we got it last September. I went over today and it's totally dead. No lights, alarm, central locking...nothing.
I was going over each month to pay the storage rent and starting it up and running for a while, I brought it home and hooked it up overnight before Christmas too.
I realise it's not ideal to leave the van all that time without a good run. Van's a hymer 568. fiat ducato. I'm not sure where the cab battery is on my van but I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
I think I'm going to put in a new one, any ideas on brand/cost ?
I'm going to have to call Green Flag tomorrow to try and get it going and take it to a local repair place.

any advice welcome and thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I would guess it’s simply a flat vehicle battery. First you need to find said battery. Then if you have a multimeter you can test it.

You could buy a battery charger and recharge it,they are not too dear and a good investment the way you are storing the van.

How old is the battery? If it’s been flat flat for a while it might now be jiggered.

Just running the engine for a while will not have recharged it enough,and won’t have done the engine much good either.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I would guess it’s simply a flat vehicle battery. First you need to find said battery. Then if you have a multimeter you can test it.

You could buy a battery charger and recharge it,they are not too dear and a good investment the way you are storing the van.

How old is the battery? If it’s been flat flat for a while it might now be jiggered.

Just running the engine for a while will not have recharged it enough,and won’t have done the engine much good either.
Thanks for replying. I'd need to take the battery out and bring home to charge it? I'm assuming the battery I found under the panel in cab floor is the starter battery. It looks a bit complicated.
Why is it not good to run the engine without driving?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just check out the other threads on here re flat batteries,don't jump start it immediately when hooking up to a jump start.you may damage the ECU system particularly the air bag module ,best to let it charge up a little to equalise the cab battery before jump starting.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I would get the breakdown people to get it going they know what they're doing, it's easy to damage modern vehicles jump starting

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Thanks for replying. I'd need to take the battery out and bring home to charge it? I'm assuming the battery I found under the panel in cab floor is the starter battery. It looks a bit complicated.
Why is it not good to run the engine without driving?
As it’s diesel, you’ll clog-up the DPF without running hot enough and long enough to burn the particulates away......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
As it's a Fiat base yes the battery under the floor is the Cab starter battery. The fact that it's absolutely dead, no lights etc means it's probably knackered and needs replaced. If it were me I'd just get a new one. make sure it's charged, take it with you and put it in.

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If it's a Fiat Ducato there are 2 points under the bonnet to attach jump leads { POSITIVE and NEGATIVE } or to a 12V booster pack. No need to remove the cover under the passenger's feet to jump start the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks for your help everyone. The battery's are the original and van is five yrs old so I think I'll fit a new one. Just found a video how to do that. Looks easy enough to do apart from the weight of battery and access

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If it's a Fiat Ducato there are 2 points under the bonnet to attach jump leads { POSITIVE and NEGATIVE } or to a 12V booster pack. No need to remove the cover under the passenger's feet to jump start the van.
yes found info on that. Going for a new battery tomorrow. Hope they come with a decent charge in them

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Re:- Ducato 2007 +
It's easier to lift the engine battery out of the battery well by standing directly above it and using your legs muscles.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks for your help everyone. The battery's are the original and van is five yrs old so I think I'll fit a new one. Just found a video how to do that. Looks easy enough to do apart from the weight of battery and access
Around 20 kgs for a good one

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Interesting!
Where are these please. Any photos?
Thanks
This should be where they are on an x250 Ducato

DAD4CD3B-9EC4-4ACD-8C27-4D341C373856.png

I think the x290‘s negative is on the top middle near the scuttle.......

Upvote 0

rbescape

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Since 2018
When we parked ours up for the winter (or any length of time > a few weeks) we've needed to isolate the battery. On our ducato there's a position on the ignition key to do this.
1615490546017.png

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is there any chance of a mains hookup for a few hours at the storage site? There are various alternatives, including generator, jump starter power pack, or solar panel on the roof or propped up inside near the windscreen.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There are various alternatives, including....... jump starter power pack,
I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
Nothing with a booster pack 'aint good.......... :unsure:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'm not sure where the cab battery is on my van but I found a battery under a panel in cab floor so hooked up a battery booster pack. Nothing.
Are you sure it's the starter battery not the leisure battery? I thought they were both under the cab floor somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I'm still amazed by how many people are still surprised that their batteries have gone flat over winter ------- without ever charging them :Eeek: :Eeek:
Not surprised at all. Now I've learnt a bit I'll be taking mine home to charge in future. I'm new to this and didn't even know where the starter battery was till now. Then there is the question of which one to buy... a minefield by the looks of it after reading a few posts on other sites

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If it hasn’t got a decent charge in it, take it straight back and exchange. They should be stored full at all times otherwise it breaks them.
cheers, just learnt that from other posts too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Apart from not being good for the engine, starting it and only running for a few minutes will take more out of the battery than you are putting in it.
Yep, kind of knew that. Same problem with the bike parked up in a lock up with no power. Needs to be taken out a good run.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I've decided on a new battery but which one? on reading posts on other sites it can be complicated.
I'd always buy the best I can for the van. I spoke to a repairer yesterday and he mentioned something about doing a campaign on owners going to lithium.
I don't know what is in the van at the moment so no idea if it's AGM or lead acid. I've read so much on it my brains befuddled now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Are you sure it's the starter battery not the leisure battery? I thought they were both under the cab floor somewhere.
There's another battery halfway back in the van which is accessible from a hatch outside the van so I'm assuming that's the leisure one?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
When we parked ours up for the winter (or any length of time > a few weeks) we've needed to isolate the battery. On our ducato there's a position on the ignition key to do this. View attachment 472779
I just learnt of this in the handbook I have. I'll need to have another read up on it. Is it just a matter of removing the key in that position to isolate the battery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Is there any chance of a mains hookup for a few hours at the storage site? There are various alternatives, including generator, jump starter power pack, or solar panel on the roof or propped up inside near the windscreen.
Spoke to a repairer yesterday and he advised on a solar panel for the future. I don't think the site we're on offers a hook up. I do have a power pack but folk have been saying that can be problematic

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back