Help! Van gone mad

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
hi guys
Can u please help, my van has started this afternoon locking and unlocking the cab doors. When my OH turned engine on the windscreen wash, wipers,indicators and headlights all came on at same time and we couldn't turn them off. We have now disconnected the vehicle battery and plan to reconnect in morning. Vehicle battery is showing 12.66v with a multi meter. Anyone any ideas as how to rectify. TIA
This is a fiat Ducato 2.2 2010 vehicle, helen

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
Oh wow , this is a first . Only time i've seen this is when my truck caught fire .

I would suggest this is wiring , but can't nail it any further than that . One question , where do you keep the van ? , it sound's like at home , would i be correct ! .

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Yes u would. Outside on our drive, why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we had that with a previous van, it was water in the fusebox under the bonnet, nearside wing. could also be an earth fault on the ecu, but my money is on water in the electrics

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A family of mice under the bonnet/dash.......they just lurve the sheathing on copper wires.

1/2 dozen chewed wires in the same bit of loom, turn on power to the wiring and loads of live to live shorts turning things on and off that shouldn't be turned on and off.

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks both.
Don't think it's mice as van is moved weekly but will check anyway. OH was thinking about water and will check fuse box in the morning.
Helen

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
we had that with a previous van, it was water in the fusebox under the bonnet, nearside wing. could also be an earth fault on the ecu, but my money is on water in the electrics
Where is the ecu by the way?

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
Yes u would. Outside on our drive, why?

One possible reason could be our little furry friend's if it was kept in storage , but on the drive , all but eliminate's that one . The function's that you mention are all connected by way of a stalk controls , under the steering wheel , all that is except the central locking . The only place were they will all come together is as @The Big 1 , mention's , the fuse box . Where is it on your van ? .

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
The fuse box is underneath the bonnet

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Coach Build
Exp
Have you pressure washed it in any way, or had it done locally?

I'm going for damp as first thought. Good luck

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
The fuse box is underneath the bonnet

Hmmm , then i'm afraid water is a distinct possibility . I would suggest you open up the fuse box , and dry the interior thoroughly , give it a good airing . Then spray it with a silicon spray , or failing that wd40 , both are a water dispersing agent . If possible do this with all the fuses removed , but it's far more important to get the correct fuses in the right slot , so i can understand you not doing this , just make sure it's completely dry . Then and only then , reconnect the battery (a little prayer might not go amiss either) .

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 tag.
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmm , then i'm afraid water is a distinct possibility . I would suggest you open up the fuse box , and dry the interior thoroughly , give it a good airing . Then spray it with a silicon spray , or failing that wd40 , both are a water dispersing agent . If possible do this with all the fuses removed , but it's far more important to get the correct fuses in the right slot , so i can understand you not doing this , just make sure it's completely dry . Then and only then , reconnect the battery (a little prayer might not go amiss either) .
Use a hair dryer perhaps?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're gonna pull all the fuses to dry the fuse box, take a picture of them in position first to aid replacing them and maybe try clipping a jump lead between the battery negative terminal and a piece of bright metal on the engine or gearbox to eliminate a potential earth fault.

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi guys here's an update.
OH has taken the fuses out of fuse box to dry out, although it did seem quite dry and fuses now back in again.
Sprayed with WD40 water repellent around by fuse box area also.
Disconnected solar panel and also disconnected battery master and leisure batteries as wanted to completely isolate everything. Reconnected van battery and lights, washers, indicators all working as normal. But noticed central locking was still acting on its own. Ran the van for 15 minutes and central locking seemed ok. If it's started acting up will check van battery again. Also found one of the leisure batteries was down at 10v the other is fine. Have not reconnected battery master as would like to keep things separate for the next few weeks as this will determine if van battery has had it.
Thanks for all your help, suggestions and advice.
Was unable to locate earth strap which should connect to gear box, is mine invisible ? Also if central locking starts acting up again will try to figure out how to lock doors with the central locking fuse removed. Off to nec Thursday/Friday so looks like a leisure battery is now on the "to buy/get" list.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like you need a new battery especially as the second one is good, presumably at least 12.6v...
10v is dead...totally.....and will have no storage capacity even if it will charge.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hope you resolve the issue but don’t dismiss mice just because it is parked on your drive.

We had two Zafiras wiring looms attacked by the little bustards on our drive. They never touched any other vehicles.

Vauxhall must make extremely tasty wiring looms.

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
figure out how to lock doors

Good job , my friend . Okay , well should you need it , the driver's door is normally the master , so your need to lock all the other's manually . However as your van is european , the master door could possibly be on the other side , as the original vehicle is left hand drive , and as such so would be the driver's door . There should be at least one keyhole to allow access , in case of a flat battery , which will both lock and unlock that door .

Looks like you need a new battery

Yeah , i'm afraid i would agree .

don’t dismiss mice just because it is parked on your drive.

Yeah , i also would tend to agree with this one , too . Though personally knowing what i know , i would doubt it . My own van is in storage , so i looked into the risk's a bit . The thing to remember is , though they don't hibernate , their not as active during the winter months . I've discovered they generally prefer to stay under cover , to being out in the fields , so your pretty much only at risk is if they have a nest in the van . Which is sounding even more unlikely as you move the van every week .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
6 years since restarting
Hope you resolve the issue but don’t dismiss mice just because it is parked on your drive.

We had two Zafiras wiring looms attacked by the little bustards on our drive. They never touched any other vehicles.

Vauxhall must make extremely tasty wiring looms.

Yes had it here.

Yeah , i also would tend to agree with this one , too . Though personally knowing what i know , i would doubt it . My own van is in storage , so i looked into the risk's a bit . The thing to remember is , though they don't hibernate , their not as active during the winter months . I've discovered they generally prefer to stay under cover , to being out in the fields , so your pretty much only at risk is if they have a nest in the van . Which is sounding even more unlikely as you move the van every week .
We get it here , especially when it is exceptionally cold:cold: & you return & park up a nice warm engine. :sun:
Up pops Roland from the woodpile /fig tree/or neighbours & thinks " that'll be better for tonight" (y)
Every time now when the vehicles return , bonnet is pulled & traps put on the engine & other places they'd like to sit & eat.

I also use ultra sonic detectors not only in the van but an outside area adjacent to the house & every room in the apartment.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If you're gonna pull all the fuses to dry the fuse box, take a picture of them in position first to aid replacing them and maybe try clipping a jump lead between the battery negative terminal and a piece of bright metal on the engine or gearbox to eliminate a potential earth fault.
my thoughts exactly, also be gentle getting the cover free - I broke mine when tugging it clear of surrounding bits.

Feb 20, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 1995
Hello from Devon,
Had a similar problem on a 2.3 150bhp.2016.
Near side (left hand side)
Under front wing you will see several wires all joining together,
It’s a earth connection, make sure they are secure.

Mike

OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi guys
The MADness has returned ☹️
OH just went to let dog out and heard central locking start again. Decided to start van up and windscreen washers, wipers, full beam on and indicators all going ballistic. We've decided take up to mates garage tomorrow to see if he can sort.
Will update tomorrow pm

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Mice like nice warm places to shelter in cold weather. I had one in my car once, parked on the drive and used all day every day. It ate all my spearmint Polo mints, that's how I realised I had company. Don't know whether it travelled round all day with me next day or jumped out and then back in again when I got home, but that night it took the Mars Bar bait and I had it caught. Let it free in next door's garden and never saw it again.

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
The MADness has returned ☹️

Ah hell .

I think your plan is a good measure , as it does now sound like my initial thoughts of wiring being the cause are correct . The good news is , the apparent intermittent nature of this fault suggests it's unlikely to be due to cable overloading , which have caused wire's to melt together , further reinforced in that you don't mention any smells . A concern with modern wiring as i've seen cable's to a cigarette lighter , so light , i'd be worried to charge my phone off it , yet still fused at 10 amp . However in the same vain , this means unfortunately an outside influence is more likely , and i'm afraid despite what i said earlier , this does include mice , sorry .
Unless there's a querk with modern wiring that i don't know , none of these circuits , with the exception of the fuse box , cross with any one component . Some are controlled by ignition , others not , Let me try and explain ,
  • Headlight's , a permanently powered circuit , controlled by a switch . There is a flash facility on headlight's only , controlled by a column stalk which also has a permanent power source , tail lights will not work . Now i've noticed my van , also a ducato , has a second key removal position , i've never tried this , but it could mean the headlight's are further ignition controlled which is unusual .
  • Indicator's , ignition powered and controlled by a column stalk , normally the same stalk as the headlight flash . Now you appear to say indicators , collectively , which suggests to me that both fronts are flashing , and i believe this could actually mean , the hazard light circuit is affected , not the indicators . These are normally controlled by a switch on the dash , though on some vehicle's , the switch can be mounted on the steering column cover . These are not ignition controlled .
  • Central locking , Normally a completely separate circuit , with a permanent power source , also not ignition controlled . Now this could be connected with the top two if an alarm was fitted , along with either a horn or siren . However you don't mention this happening , so suggest's that either the alarm is not fitted or is okay .
  • Which leave's us with the wiper's . And again you mention the washers are also operating , so that would suggest to me , that it's the wash/wipe circuit that's affected . Ignition controlled , they are completely unconnected to both the alarm and locking system , and except for the fact they are switched by a column stalk they are also separate from the indicator or headlight flash .
Though certain circuits will often be mixed in the fusebox , ie horn and radio on one fuse , things like headlight and hazard lights are normally kept separate , due to power consumed or safety . So why are these permanently powered circuit's only working with the ignition on , well it's what i call , the outbound circuit ( power in to the switch , power out ) that's affected . Normally dead till the switch is moved to the on position , they are likely being powered up by a live damaged ignition controlled circuit . The nature of the circuit's affected would i'm afraid suggest it's probably in the main loom , and i would still strongly advise searching the engine bay first , even what you can't see , you should be able to feel . Pay particular attention to wiring within 6" of a good perch or along the firewall .

Last edited: