Help to make a desicion please (1 Viewer)

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
HI all am struggling to make a decision about my 17yr old dog lulu. Shes is now deaf her sight is failing and she has recently started to be incontinent of urine most days now .IS it time or am i being selfish in wanting to keep her PLEASE HELP:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Bruno was rear end incontinent which was easier to cope with.

I think that you have asked the question you know the answer.

God Martin I feel for you mate.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Martin

Real tough decision and only you can make it.

I think you have to do whatever is best for Lulu, whatever that is.

Dogs really pull on your heartstrings.

Lesley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I echo what has been said already .... if the old lady's kidneys are failing she could be in pain, Martin .....

{{{Hugs}}}

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We had a similar problem with our lovely 17 year old black labrador, who was on increasing medication for various problems, and whose back legs then started to go, so she kept falling on the stairs. We had always promised that we would not allow her to suffer; it was a terrible decision, so we empathise with you. You can only do what you know is best for the dog. If it comes to the worst, there are rescue dogs who would welcome a good owner like you, so you do not have to be without a companion.
Bob

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Sorry you have got to make this hard decision, but feel if you are asking yourself the question then you know the answer.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It is an awful decision to make and I put it off longer for our Zoe than Bob would have done, but then Bob was not making the call. In the end she lay down and 'said' she had had enough. It was awful but there was no doubt in my mind.
What I did do was call the vet out to us, something I have done with the last three of our furry family that have had to leave us. No pulling about, just a quiet wait and time for more private tears afterwards. Our friends have always been buried in the garden though the vet would take them away if this was not possible or wanted.
An awful time and a choice only you can make. Lulu sounds much loved. Jane :Sad:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I have had to make the decision twice before so I know what you are going through, it is probably the hardest thing to do but you have to think of Lulu's welfare. Take advice from the vets but in the end it will be your decision and no one will think badly of you whichever way it goes.
Wishing you and Lulu the best and try to remember all the good times, I found it helped.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear about Lulu

There is nothing stopping you taking her to the vet and asking their opinion.

Is there something they can do regarding the incontinence? If you dont ask you dont know.

Personally I could not see any animal in pain.

Theres also quality of life for Lulu and quality of life for you - clearing up the messes etc.

Animals often gives humans an indication of when its time to let go.

Its a tough choice and my thoughts are with you no matter what choice you make xxxxx

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I think if you have to ask the question, you know the answer. Delay will only hurt more. Just look at her photos after and smile. Let us know how you get on. I'm really thinking of you. :Sad:

:Sad:Ivy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It comes down to quality of life - if you feel she is suffering, then maybe the most horrid decision an owner has to make has come.

If she is not in pain, and gets around ok, there are nappies available for dogs - how long you continue is up to you. But if you feel her quality of life is deminishing, and she is not happy, set her free.

Though heart breaking, you have a given a dog a good home with lots of love....so she has been very lucky!:thumb:

The V10 Squad

Free Member
Jul 11, 2011
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Four Winds B class
Exp
Jan 2010
decision

Hi sorry your pet is at that stage, we have had 5 dogs and never an easy choice, but all I would say is if you can make it for your pets quality of life if
you can, hope it helps -( steph and John:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry Martin, cant advise you, but can sympathise, as we are in the same predicament and cant decide ourselves....two fold.

our retriever is extremely incontinent and arthritic.....she can pee maybe 30 times a day and many times just lays where she is and pee's 'cos she cant get up quick enough.....but another day she's playing with the others like a young 'un. she's 9 years old :Sad:

jack russell is 99% blind and deaf....walks into things and cant see her food bowl unless you put her head in it....yet she's full of life, a real hard decision...she's 13 years old.

like us, you know what to do but find it hard to actually do it. :Sad:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I feel for you, we also called the vet to our home for the old cat who was fitting every few minutes at the end. The vet came and the cat was in familiar surroundings with those who loved him. We did not want to distress him any further by putting him in the car and a 5 mile journey. He is buried under his favourite apple tree.
You will know without doubt when the time comes.
So sorry

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Heartbreaking, but a choice we all have to make when we have pets.

Our thoughts are with you

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have 2 dogs one 13 the other 3.
I love them both as you do pets , you cant help but not .
But if one was suffering in any way , or incontinent either way , and not able to be kept out side in a pen , i would have it put down.
We do get attached to animals , it is a hard decision , and I would have to be the one to make it and take it to the vets too. Ralph wouldn't be able to do it.

But then again i agree with euthanasia too. We can give our pets one last gift of love but not our nearest and dearest.
Watching 3 grandparents starve to death and waste away , whilst being given more and more morphine has that effect on you i think. Horrible :Sad:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
our pepi a cocker spaniel lost the use of her back legs twice in a fortnight
second time no recovery so we had to let her go at 12 yrs old

our buster suddenly developed a liver problem
2-3 weeks start to finish
he told us it was his time
when he couldn't get to the back of our small garden (28 ft)
took 3 lay down stops and on the last stop
he sort of looked in a way that said cant do this help me

hard decision but he had no quality left .

our tuppence busters sister developed blindness at the same time
but she has coped well with her blindness both were ten years at the time
she's now 11and a half

we have agreed now there will be no operations in future as we feel she's too old a dog
to put through such stress

but in posting the question i feel your answering your own question
if she has very little quality of life then save her the suffering
its an extremely hard decision to make but only you can decide

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Martin, we always know what the right decision is, it's just coming to terms with it.
Thank God for memories, thinking of you
from one dog lover to another
Love n Hugs
Andrea
xx

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear this Lynn and Martin, 17 is a good age, you know that. You also know the answer. Though it may be difficult it is the last thing you can do for her.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agree that it is a difficult decision - whichever way you decide you will always question it later and possibly even for years - dogs have total trust in their owners and look to us to make decisions and I agree will let you know when the time has come - have had to make that decision too many times now - if the question is should you then look at the dog and decide whether they are still happy - most dogs only want to make you happy and the last thing they want is to mess on the floor - one of our previous dogs had incontinence problems and it really worried her - the decision was taken from us as she totally lost the use of the back half of her body. That last drive is the hardest one.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Hi Martin. Sorry to hear about Lulu, You know when the time is right, and at no time is it an easy dissision to make. You will always have your memories of her. At least we can put our pets out of their missery so they do not need to suffer anymore, not like our human friends and relatives who can suffer for many years and you know there is no hope for them, and all you can do is watch them suffer. We have been in the position you are in many many times before and know just what you are going through right now.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
yosser
i dont envy you ,having to make a decision for a member of you family (lulu)
but it is a decision you have to make with your head and not you heart,your heart will tell you that the time is not right, lulu might be alright tomorrow,she won't,lulu will only get worse and suffer more.
so make a decision with your head,and do the right thing for lulu show her the last act of love and relieve her suffering,its hard but its got to be done.
it's hard,but only you can make that decision.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Martin & Lynn,

we are so sorry to hear about lulu.

Kate Bill & Amanda xx

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As already said, you already know the answer to the question you are asking...you just havnt accepted it yet. The longer you draw it out the harder and more expensive it will become. Just be with your beloved friend right to the end please dont leave her alone with the last vision being you leaving the room and being left with a total stranger.

Stay holding her close and talking to her saying your goodbyes. It hard but after a lifetime of love and dedication its the least you can do and you will feel better for being there till the very end.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hard as it may be you know the answer. Every dog lover comes up against this at some time. Look upon it as a last act of kindness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back