Help - Skirt/Floor Locker Won't Open (1 Viewer)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All,

We have a Burstner Aviano with an underfloor skirt locker for which the door lifts upwards/vertically to gain access (similar to Hymer?). After Cindy touched it last :), the locker door will no longer open, the mechanism seems jammed.

The locker door has a catch which when unlocked pops out from the side of the locker door (this bit still works). However, when you then try to rotate said catch to retract the pins which extend from either side of the locker door, it will not move, its like the mechanism is jammed/broken.

Very handy when you need to get a waste water container and trolley out! :rolleyes:

Would anyone have any similar experience of this issue or ideas on what us numpties could attempt whilst on a campsite? We've tried the various combinations of repositioning, wiggling and minor (frustrated) banging that we can with no joy.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Bump.

I can't help sorry. I would use a hammer but it could end in tears.

We used to have an Aviano(y)

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi,
if it is something like this maybe you could access the locker from inside the van, might have to remove a panel?

I hope you manage to open it soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the locker door will no longer open.

Someone had that a few weeks ago, something had fallen into the locking system, don't recall which van but a search might find the thread. I remember commenting "that should have been shielded, it was bound to happen".

Maybe: do drive round some bends FAST to throw things the other way.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0764.JPG Thanks for pointers, ours is an underfloor locker rather than garage. The pics show the locker door which is stuck, and the same type of door on the battery locker which is open. All of the mechanism is housed within the door skin...

It may be return to dealer under warranty job, bit of a trek from Berks to Becks though.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
View attachment 183155 View attachment 183156 View attachment 183157 Thanks for pointers, ours is an underfloor locker rather than garage. The pics show the locker door which is stuck, and the same type of door on the battery locker which is open. All of the mechanism is housed within the door skin...

It may be return to dealer under warranty job, bit of a trek from Berks to Becks though.

I think you're right, looks like the operating mechanism has failed.

Might be a case of a reciprocating saw between the door and the body to cut of the pegs

Andrew

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Will the peg move if you use a flat blade like a steel rule in the gap at the side any luck and the pegs will move and its just the lock that's named.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Will the peg move if you use a flat blade like a steel rule in the gap at the side any luck and the pegs will move and its just the lock that's named.

I was thinking that. But the angle on the lock pin will be on the back/inside so a hook like piece of metal is needed.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I had a similar problem when something in the locker (can't remember what is was but probably part of a storage bag or similar) was trapped between the locking rod and the wall of the van. Leverage on the outside handle cured it but I would be careful if you try this as you might break something.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you tried putting pressure on the outside whilst turning the handle it could be something pushing out from inside stopping pins sliding so by excreting pressure on the door may let the catch move.(y)(y)(y)
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the additional suggestions, no amount of pushing, pulling, tweaking or banging has worked as yet. We'll drive home tomorrow and then see if anything has magically changed on our return. If not, I think we may seek dealer assistance.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Minor update, we got home earlier and the mechanism must have been agitated during the journey. The catch was still very stiff and reluctant to turn, but turn it did with a little encouragement. Transpires something is broken in the mechanism, as only one of the pegs extended/retracted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Glad you have got it open and now you can get it sorted(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back