LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I know somewhere in the ether this will have been answered but I can't find it. My sink is doing my head in. I Cannot get the marks off it. They must be toothpaste or strong soap or something but I cannot see how.

Any suggestions as to how to sort it please and make it look good.

20180208_132751.jpg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm not sure what your sink is made of but would something like Viakal work?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Careful use of traffic film remover cleaned our sink til it was sparkling.
I used it neat, wearing gloves is essential. apply the TFR used a garden plant sprayer, then you must wash it back off within a couple of minutes.
I wish I'd photographed the mess our bathroom sink was in, both before & after. It even cleans off any yellowing of the sink due to age. It looks a bit worrying to start with, but our sink is squeaky clean & I only had to deep clean it once, job done.

Robert.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I used it neat, wearing gloves is essential. apply the TFR used a garden plant sprayer, then you must wash it back off within a couple of minutes.
I wish I'd photographed the mess our bathroom sink was in, both before & after. It even cleans off any yellowing of the sink due to age. It looks a bit worrying to start with, but our sink is squeaky clean & I only had to deep clean it once, job done.

Robert.

Thank you. Where do I buy that please? I was worried I had removed yhe colour.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry Joy but it looks like its bleach stained so permanent damage

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sadly I have had a few such plastic sinks on motorhomes and caravans I was doing up. The only solutions were replace the sink, respray it using the correct paint or just leave it. Personally it would constantly annoy me. I was forever telling my daughter off for leaving toothpaste on the sink as over time it weakens the plastic which is really thin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anything with alcohol in it is lethal to plastic sinks, suntan lotion, mothwash etc. Our last van had a plastic sink had a ban on such items in the washroom but still managed to get one stain on it.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I speak from experience be very careful Joy with what you use as I used a spray given to me by the cleaner in work which was super for household sinks but turned my Rapido sink into cornflakes in minutes .:(

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I did find this, can’t remember where from-

To clean plastic sink
Spray the entire sink with a white vinegar and water mixture. Combine 1/4 cup of vinegar for every cup of water used in a spray bottle, and use a soft-bristle brush to gently scrub the sink. White vinegar will also disinfect the sink. Add baking soda to the mix for extra-tough stains, as the baking soda with vinegar will create a fizzy cleaning solution. Create a baking soda paste if desired for additional cleaning by combining three parts baking soda with one part water.

Rinse the sink with water and plug the drain. Squirt liquid dish soap into the sink -- use one to three squirts depending on the sink's size -- and fill the sink with hot water. Allow the soapy water to sit in the sink for a half hour to an hour to give the sink a nice, thorough cleaning.

Drain the sink. Go over it again if necessary with either soap or white vinegar to remove any persistent stains.

Polish the sink's faucet with a microfiber cloth.

Things You Will Need
  • White vinegar
  • Spray bottle
  • Soft-bristle brush
  • Baking soda
  • Liquid dish soap
  • Microfiber cloth
Tip
  • Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto stubborn stains and use a scrub brush to work the juice into the stain. The juice will bleach the stains and also work as a disinfectant.
  • Avoid hard-bristle brushes that can potentially scratch the sink surface.
Not tried it!:)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
what ever you decide to use joy i would do a test on an area that doesnt show first for our resident expert on bathroom fittings @swanseajack13

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Thank you. Where do I buy that please? I was worried I had removed yhe colour.

You'd get TFR in any decent motor factors Joy, you'd probably get some in a Europarts store. With some of the other answers it kinda sounds like your damned if you do & damned if you don't.
Our sink is plastic & it responded really well compared to other products. I'd been trying to clean it & was told I'd need to replace it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
dangerous stuff that TFR and is corrosive, so i wouldnt recommend unless in desperation as a last resort

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your inputs .. will have a little thk k. Xx

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our sink has gone yellow but I dont even know what its made of so won't risk trying to repair it. You could end up making it worse. Maybe you should price up a new one and make sure you can source it then if it turns to cornflakes you can buy a new one....And I can take your advice :D2

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi joy, not read the whole thread but I swear by this stuff for removing stains and marks.. I got it from Norway and don' know if it can be purchased here but you could maybe enquire..
Andy..
20180208_171124.jpg

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Camouflage Joy..... You need "Camouflage...

Then you wont see it...

Problem solved.... (y) :giggler:

:lips:

th

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi joy, not read the whole thread but I swear by this stuff for removing stains and marks.. I got it from Norway and don' know if it can be purchased here but you could maybe enquire..
Andy..
View attachment 211683

Have you tried it first on your plastic sink? It will be much easier for you to replace a sink than it will be for Joy so I vote you try it first on yours.(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sunglasses . Works for me.

I assume it’s the bathroom sink, as I’ve never seen the kitchen sink..........:whistle:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
But being serious (for once, as it’s you!) I had stains on the plastic sink in a previous van. Went a kinda yellow colour. Took it out ( really easy) and sprayed it with half a dozen coats of plasticoat.
A few quid from amazon or eBay. Suitable for plastic. Put a new surface on it no problem (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Took it out ( really easy)

We have the same model van as Joy and I needed to take the bathroom sink out a couple of years ago to carry out a repair on the mixer tap. I had to give up on it as it was an absolute nightmare, poor access to fixings and rusted Phillips head screws whose heads just sheared off when shown a screwdriver, oh, and our sink has some similar staining too.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have you tried it first on your plastic sink? It will be much easier for you to replace a sink than it will be for Joy so I vote you try it first on yours.(y)

yes I use it in the house and van when ive got me pinnie on and doing woman work(y)..
it is good stuff... I suspect its just a very fine polishing compound with some cleaning agent in it...

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We have the same model van as Joy and I needed to take the bathroom sink out a couple of years ago to carry out a repair on the mixer tap. I had to give up on it as it was an absolute nightmare, poor access to fixings and rusted Phillips head screws whose heads just sheared off when shown a screwdriver, oh, and our sink has some similar staining too.

Mine was in a Burstner too, but the sink was secured by a few screws underneath the worktop. The tap the same, but of course to get access to the easy bit you actually need involves removing half the cupboard beneath :eek::LOL:

Never had a rusty screw, is that a drink?

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I used a magic sponge on mine and it worked really well. Hope that helps.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

Robert.

Would that work on plastic that has gone yellowish over time Robert??

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
1AAAAA bessacarr.JPG
1AAAA Bessacarr.JPG
Would that work on plastic that has gone yellowish over time Robert??

Yes it really does Ian, when you spray it on it looks really scary as it brings all the yellowing up to the top, but you learn that when its rinsed it'll come up a treat. It does exactly the same on black marks on the outside & is particularly good on things like the toilet cassette door surround & I've often been qhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400-1-NON-CAUSTIC-TFR-TRAFFIC-FILM-REMOVER
Questioned on how I got this so clean!
Oh & this caravan was nearly ten years old!

Attachments

• 1aaaaabessacarr.jpg
    1aaaaabessacarr.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Yes it really does Ian, when you spray it on it looks really scary as it brings all the yellowing up to the top, but you learn that when its rinsed it'll come up a treat. It does exactly the same on black marks on the outside & is particularly good on things like the toilet cassette door surround & I've often been questioned on how I got this so clean!
Yes she was a mess, MrA turned her into the best caravan we ever had. :love:
Even better than the brand new Sterling.....

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Yes it really does Ian, when you spray it on it looks really scary as it brings all the yellowing up to the top, but you learn that when its rinsed it'll come up a treat. It does exactly the same on black marks on the outside & is particularly good on things like the toilet cassette door surround & I've often been questioned on how I got this so clean!

That sounds just what I want mate,,, where do I get some Richard and what’s it called?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back