Help required with new inverter only working on low wattage (1 Viewer)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Can anyone help?

I have just had two new liesure batteries fitted now a total of 260ah onboard. I have a claimed 1500w inverter fitted professionally with 25mm sq cable, cable run as short as possible about 900mm.

The inverter works at about 800w but anything more results in a beep and shut down.

Any ideas BEFORE I return the inverter as faulty for a refund ?

The inverter is rated as 1500w peaking at 3000w pure sine wave.
I want it to run hair drier for my wife ( I don't have any hair) coffee maker and microwave all rated at under 1500w.

Batteries are fully charged and I have a 150w solar panel to keep them topped up.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would say you still don't have enough battery capacity for the hair dryer.

A 1000w element will pull over a 100A from you battery's while it is switched on. They will all be total flat within a few minutes.

Although I do think your inverter is faulty and I love inverters, I wouldn't use them for any thing with a big element ever.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First things first, what is the charge level of your leisure batteries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I dont think that your cable size is big enough, or your batteries are crap!

Martin

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Batteries are fully charged!

Cable is rated at 170a, running 100a for five minutes will not deplete 260ah batteries to anything g like the 60% charge level!

Have not tried with engine running, will try tomorrow.

Anything less negative would be appreciated. Thanks.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I would say you still don't have enough battery capacity for the hair dryer.

A 1000w element will pull over a 100A from you battery's while it is switched on. They will all be total flat within a few minutes.

Although I do think your inverter is faulty and I love inverters, I wouldn't use them for any thing with a big element ever.

The inverter op is 230/240 v so 1000w element will draw a little over 4 amps (IxV=W) plus the losses due to the inverter say 2 amps so total of just over 6 amps

The op says it works up to 800w so a tad under 4 amps plus inverter losses - at 1500w rating it should be ok for up to 6 amps plus losses

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had a 2kw inverter on two 110ah Elecsol batteries and as soon as they were put on load they just imploded to about 10.5 or 11 volts, refitted the original old 2x80ah GEL's and all was OK, that is with something like 70mm sq cable.

Martin

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
my 1500 Pure sine inverter beeps when the battery voltage drops low , then if you continue draining the batteries the inverter will stop.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The inverter op is 230/240 v so 1000w element will draw a little over 4 amps (IxV=W) plus the losses due to the inverter say 2 amps so total of just over 6 amps
1000 watts might be drawing about 4 amps at 240volts but that is more like 80 amps at 12volts, the inverter losses will only be a couple of amps at 12volts so pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of big current draws.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Taking into consideration all that has been said it sound like the inverter is either duff OR has been misleading advertised (fraudulently claiming) that it can handle the capacity stated, I'd say its the latter ... sorry if that's negative, I see it more as finding a logical answer ...

What IS the inverter you've bought? Do you have a link to it?

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Minxy girl that is not negative at all. Thank you!

It is Chinese but the supplier has offered a refund d so will send it back!

I will look for another one, any recommendations?

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Not sure, will look tomorrow. Bought off internet on recommendation of a friend who has used them.

I would consider buying two new ones if I was sure it was batteries.

I don't mind throwing some more cash at it I just want a working solution.

Not sure how I can load the batteries to text if they are ok?

I have been away all week running lights and TV off batteries and solar panel shows full no charge being taken.

I will try to run the hairdryer at 800w for a while and see if battery voltage drops significantly.

Thanks again.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the cable size is the most likely culprit. At 800 watts the inverter will be drawing about 70 amps (allowing for a bit of inefficiency) but at 1500 watts that will go up to 125 amps. (Forget about using the peak power reserve!)
According to the Sterling website, you need 35 sq mm cable, or possibly 40 sq mm for extra security. The problem is not the cable's absolute power handling capability but the voltage drop that is happening along its length. Thicker cable offsets this problem. When an inverter senses a low supply voltage, caused by drop along the cable, most will sound a warning.

Here is the cable size guide https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/7343/files/cablelengths.jpg?12413006777598578016

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy girl that is not negative at all. Thank you!

It is Chinese but the supplier has offered a refund d so will send it back!

I will look for another one, any recommendations?
Unfortunately it's not unusual for some of the Chinese ones to make 'false' claims about the 'capacity' of inverters ... I assume you got it from Ebay? If so, make sure you aren't charged for the postage for them sending it to you and that you see if you can use the Ebay returns facility to get it sent back FOC. If the seller won't play ball then you could tell them you'll be leaving negative feedback ... it's the ONE thing that is sure to get them to play ball with you as they really do NOT want anything negative!

As for what to go for, I'll let others comment on that as we've never needed anything but a basic low powered one so can't say what would be best for a higher power requirement.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We run a 2kw pure sine wave Merlin inverter on 2metres of close to 80mm2 copper cable,

Martin

GaryH61

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Horwich Greater Manchester AKA Lancs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Auto Stratus
Exp
Since 2014
Based on the fact an invert will not run at 100% efficiency therefore I estimate 85%. To calculate the current drawn by the battery we divide the load in watts by the battery voltage and the efficiency thus; 1000/12/0.85= 98A. A fully batteries with no other load rated at 230A/hr will discharge in about 2.5hr. However going back to 85% efficiency 1500 x 85%=1275W due to the inductive load of the motor and the element of the hair dryer you may be exceeding the max supply current at start up of the hair dryer and the overload protection circuit is kicking in and shutting down

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Based on the fact an invert will not run at 100% efficiency therefore I estimate 85%. To calculate the current drawn by the battery we divide the load in watts by the battery voltage and the efficiency thus; 1000/12/0.85= 98A. A fully batteries with no other load rated at 230A/hr will discharge in about 2.5hr. However going back to 85% efficiency 1500 x 85%=1275W due to the inductive load of the motor and the element of the hair dryer you may be exceeding the max supply current at start up of the hair dryer and the overload protection circuit is kicking in and shutting down
I did wonder about the 'start load' but more in terms of the microwave than the hairdryer. Interesting.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Simple answer is to connect a meter across the 12v feed to the inverter, at the inverter itself, to see what voltage is available to it when loaded. If it is seeing a low voltage, for whatever reason, it will beep & shut down. If the voltage holds up the fault is with the inverter. If it doesn't you need to look at the feed (batteries, cable, connectors).

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Thanks Tony, that is the sort of help I was looking for.

I will get on the case tomorrow!

Thank you all for your help, I knew I could rely on you all!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
The plot thickens!

I have been out taking a good look and measuring voltage across batteries, inverter not under load and under load!

I can't see where the auto electrician has taken the negative from, I will have to ask as it doesn't appear to come from battery directly which is what I expected using similar lengths of the same 25mm cable?

Voltage of battery 12.9v, back of inverter 12.9 V, under load of 500w 10.5v!!!!

I think I need the auto electrician to explain his mysterious wiring and to run additional cables, if I double up the 25mm would that be ok in everyone's view? As access is an issue he may need to add another 16mm cable making it 25 + 16 ( 41mm)???

I will take it back at the end of the week as it is booked in for more work then and see what they say before sending inverter back, does this seem the best option?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Voltage of battery 12.9v, back of inverter 12.9 V, under load of 500w 10.5v!!!!

Sorted then, 99.9% certain of poor installation.

If you can measure between inverter neg and battery neg which should read near zero and you see a few volts you have proved the problem.

There is a small change you have an existing fault, batt neg to chassis is poor and the inverter is showing this up. Again, meter from bet neg to chassis will prove this, obviously should be zero.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your setup will run your hairdryer without problem if everything is working as we have used a similar set up for years with no problems.
Your wiring is the most likely suspect. At a metre length you need really substantial cable for both positive and negative connected directly to the batteries and similar cable between the two batteries. Check the connections too as high resistance can occur there if not well made.

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Thank you for your reassurance, I was beginning to think I had spent hundreds of pounds for nothing!

I will get the auto electrician to beef up wires with additional ones straight off battery!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would be extremely wary of using this 'auto electrician' for ANYTHING ELSE! It appears he doesn't know what he's doing possibly because he's used to only working on standard car wiring rather than on items that will draw higher power ... hopefully he will replace the existing wiring with something more suitable and ensure it is installed correctly which at present appears to be questionable ... oh yes ... and you should NOT have to pay any more as he's supposed to be an expert I assume.

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
I have just fitted a 2500 invertor and would not have even considered doing it without two new batteries . My thinking was all new or don't bother I was worried and did a lot of research before finally purchasing pure sine wave invertor from a seller with 100 per cent feedback and pictures of the components inside the invertor as there are two many cheap and nasty copies

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
BRAND NEW

QUALITY PROFESSIONAL

2500W DC12V-AC240V PURE SINE WAVE POWER INVERTER

supersale_desc.gif

Free Next Working Day Delivery to Mainland of UK
If you order and pay before 2:00pm we dispatch your item in same day
FEATURES

1. Fully automatical protections
  2. Soft start, high stability and quiet performance
  3. Cooling fans are controlled by overheat protection system so only running when too hot
  4. AC output and DC input voltages digital display
  5. LED Indicator light
  6. CE approved
  7. Suitable for household appliances, lighting, electrical tools and office equipments etc.
Advantages of Pure Sine Wave inverters
  • a) Output voltage wave form is pure sine wave with very low harmonic distortion and clean power like utility-supplied electricity.
    • b) Inductive loads like microwave ovens and motors run faster, quieter and cooler.
    • c) Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, Game consoles, Fax, and answering machines.
    • d) Prevents crashes in computers, weird print out, and glitches and noise in monitors.
    • e) Reliably powers the appliances that will normally not work with modified sine wave inverters
SPECIFICATION

Continuous Power 2500W
Peak Power 5000W
Output Waveform Pure Sine Wave
Maximum Efficiency 85%
Input Voltage DC12V
No-load Current <0.7A
Output Voltage AC220-240V
Output Frequency 50Hz±2Hz
Fuse 350A
Soft Start Technology Yes
Cooling System Fans
Overload Protection Yes
Over Heating Protection Yes
High Voltage Protection Yes
Low Voltage Protection Yes
Output Short Circuit Protection Yes
Weight 4.7KG
Dimension 460x160x130(mm

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't know what is happening duplicate posts so I Edit and then end up wth nothing:LOL:

Anyway what I said was I don't know how your electrician would fuse two cables, dangerously most likely.

Get him to run 50 or 80mm sq cables straight from batteris +ve of one battery and -ve the other with a heavy interconnection cable and a suitable fuse close to the battery.

Martin

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back