Help required in trying to locate a missing motorhomer in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've actually been really surprised at how many solo travellers I've seen on this trip.
I originally thought I'd be in a minority but there's been a lot. This aire I'm on just now id say there was about 10 vans that are solo
And a few of them are solo ladies.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I've actually been really surprised at how many solo travellers I've seen on this trip.
I originally thought I'd be in a minority but there's been a lot. This aire I'm on just now id say there was about 10 vans that are solo
And a few of them are solo ladies.
Get an A frame and you might be able to persuade one to travel with you :)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Our daughter has the phone number for our tracker, if she is ever worried she can give them a ring, at least it would pinpoint our whereabouts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We contact family everyday either by phone or FB. If we didn't they would be worried. This lady has been out of regular contact since the 4th March, I think her family have every right to be worried.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We contact family everyday either by phone or FB. If we didn't they would be worried. This lady has been out of regular contact since the 4th March, I think her family have every right to be worried.
Aye 10 days is a long time for a solo traveller I'd think.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We contact family everyday either by phone or FB. If we didn't they would be worried.

well, I would find that a burden.. and when you can't make contact for whatever reason.. they worry
our family know we don't make contact unless it's an emergency.. ie.. we need extra cash ;)

we go away to get away from everything, including social media .. phone is only switched once a day in case of any texts .. other than that.. it's off grid for us.. if anything happens, well it happens, being in contact won't stop it happening.. everyone carries home address and next of kin details in their passport so it won't be long before they get to know.

we went away for three years full time and it was months before we called home.. it was great not having a phone ringing all the time.

no right or wrong, we all do things our own way.. whatever you are happy with..

If anything untoward had happened to this lady the authorities would have contacted the next of kin ..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sod that for a game of soldiers

These days for me women are like aires ......good for 48 hours or so then it's time to move on

Oh boy .. oh boy .... oh boy .... methinks you are in trouble young man ... oh boy ...

Did you hear that ladies?

;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I once switched my phone and computer off for about two weeks whilst needing space .. away in my mh ...

Apart from a couple of people who realised at the end that I hadn't been a pest and they posted 'Movan's quiet '........
nobody missed me. :(

However, it was lovely ... Heaven ... peace .. Nirvana on earth ... books to read, sleep to enjoy, birdsong, hmmmm lovely ... must do it again for longer some day. :)

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
well, I would find that a burden.. and when you can't make contact for whatever reason.. they worry
our family know we don't make contact unless it's an emergency.. ie.. we need extra cash ;)

we go away to get away from everything, including social media .. phone is only switched once a day in case of any texts .. other than that.. it's off grid for us.. if anything happens, well it happens, being in contact won't stop it happening.. everyone carries home address and next of kin details in their passport so it won't be long before they get to know.

we went away for three years full time and it was months before we called home.. it was great not having a phone ringing all the time.

If anything untoward had happened to this lady the authorities would have contacted the next of kin ..
Perhaps your family are happy not to hear from you for months at a time.

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Must agree with you scotjimland we also go away for long periods we always think no news is good news .

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Also @scotjimland @Drum Major
Well - the “we “ don’t make contact says it all really when it comes to more than one person in a Motorhome and I would agree if there are two of you.

However the thread is more relating to solo travelers and then it makes great sense to have a reporting regime of some sort or other!

And why would the authorities know if anything had happened to this lady in the first place - as other “solo” travellers have said here you can go days and days without outside contact with the world - well unless your telling the world what your doing daily and having for dinner lol :)

I suggest the “we” did this and did that posters go and try it solo some time :)

Last edited:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

That's assuming the authorities were aware of anything untoward. ..which in most cases they aren't unless someone informs them of such.

9 times out of 10 the public do the authorities work for them

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's assuming the authorities were aware of anything untoward. ..which in most cases they aren't unless someone informs them of such.

9 times out of 10 the public do the authorities work for them

I was thinking of an accident, RTA, mugged, assaulted etc. and in hospital or a morgue . The Police would certainly know and inform the next of kin.. or the British Consul

In this case the next of kin have heard nothing so these possibilities can be ruled out .. unless lying in the bottom of a ravine or lake ... no news .. is good news.

.. she may have went off grid just to get some time by herself ..

who knows , it's all speculation

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Perhaps your family are happy not to hear from you for months at a time.

WE, dont hear from youngest, unless there is an issue!

Must agree with you scotjimland we also go away for long periods we always think no news is good news .

See previous quote, If we dont hear he`s OK. We soon know if he has bother!!.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You'll notice there aren't many single women commenting saying that if they are out of touch for a week to 10 days that they are ok.

I think couples and even solo men would be less likely to be worried about than a woman on her own being out of touch for 10 days.

I'd say that's unusual and I can see why her family and friends have raised the alarm.

And that's not me being sexist or going on stereotypes that's just from life observation

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately a body has been found and a family member is on the way to identify the deceased. The van was only found due to all the publicity.
Her family were worried and it seems they had right to be.

Sonja

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I was thinking of an accident, RTA, mugged, assaulted etc. and in hospital or a morgue . The Police would certainly know and inform the next of kin.. or the British Consul

In this case the next of kin have heard nothing so these possibilities can be ruled out .. unless lying in the bottom of a ravine or lake ... no news .. is good news.

.. she may have went off grid just to get some time by herself ..

who knows , it's all speculation

As I have just posted a body had been found.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
SORRY TO REPORT.
The lady missing in the motorhome, has been found dead, and her relatives are on the way there to identify her body. The Hymer Group on Facebook reports this on their site. I have no other details.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Such sad news hope it was nothing untoward and she just passed doing what she enjoyed.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Really sad should the bad news be correct . The interest and genuine concern shown on sites such as Motorhome Fun certainly brings the community of Motorhomers together as we try to help one another in so many ways either through problem solving or "searching" for those that havent been seen for a time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back