Help Required !! 3 PAYG 12Gb sim (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so I'm using our first 12gb 3 PAYG sim in our huawei E5372 MiFi unit
The sim was activated in the UK and has been in use now for about 9 days in the in the Republic of Ireland , so outside the uk.
Well when I logon to 192.168.1.1 it tells me I've used 4.94GB yet today it's stopped working, I've rebooted the Mifi loads of times,,, moves areas about. 30 miles up the road ,, it says I have. A good signal then I press connect and it says disconnect , which means I'm connected ok,, but yet it still will not load any pages saying I'm offline, so I then deceived to open another new 12gb sims and yip sure as hell it worked straight away.
So is the 12gb data turned into 5gb ( now each time I connected it up it said I would be roaming and I would be charged extra , but surely this is what the 3 sim is , at home and away for 2 months ,, yet I was just away 10 days. ) so could that of used more data ??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Make sure you have auto updates turned off and things like Google backup, if used, disabled. If it is all working now with a new card it sounds like you may have used all the data on the old one. The Huawei app can show how much data has been used.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you're using an smartphone, could be your uploading all your pics to the cloud.

Edit; also if you've rebooted, you may have tuned data roaming off.
This needs to be turned on

Another option is to try a factory settings reset - the reset button on mine is inside, under the cover. Again, if you press this you may have to turn data roaming back on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK Ring Three it's free on a Three phone from France and Spain and get it checked but it does sound like background apps have robbed you if it is not open for roaming then you need to get it unlocked

I think this is where you would benefit with a three contract sim as the contract doesn't charge you extra for connecting from abroad which considering the rate of degradation could be what is wrong

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Don't know if this is related but we are in Spain and both our mifi with a Three 12 GB sim in it and my phone with a payg Three sim in it, both with plenty of data on them have been unable to connect to the internet with the same symptoms you describe. Roughly unable to connect from abt 2000 Sun until 0800 Mon when it came back on for about an hour and then off again until just now 1600 Mon. Couldn't even ring Three!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are in Benidorm and connection has been intermittent since last nught, i was about to put a new sim in but it is working again at the moment and after seeing these reports it may well be a temporary thing.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Ok so I'm using our first 12gb 3 PAYG sim in our huawei E5372 MiFi unit
The sim was activated in the UK and has been in use now for about 9 days in the in the Republic of Ireland , so outside the uk.
Well when I logon to 192.168.1.1 it tells me I've used 4.94GB yet today it's stopped working, I've rebooted the Mifi loads of times,,, moves areas about. 30 miles up the road ,, it says I have. A good signal then I press connect and it says disconnect , which means I'm connected ok,, but yet it still will not load any pages saying I'm offline, so I then deceived to open another new 12gb sims and yip sure as hell it worked straight away.
So is the 12gb data turned into 5gb ( now each time I connected it up it said I would be roaming and I would be charged extra , but surely this is what the 3 sim is , at home and away for 2 months ,, yet I was just away 10 days. ) so could that of used more data ??
It says you would be charged extra? They cannot charge you any extra if you're on PAYG.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 192.168.1.1 page will only tell you what you've used since you turned it on that time, not what you've used in total, or what's left - for that you either need to use the app or create an account on '3' website and look at the actual usage that way - creating an account doesn't mean they can take any more money off you - you've paid for 12gb usage and that's what you'll get if you use it before the 12 months is up.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It says you would be charged extra? They cannot charge you any extra if you're on PAYG.
I know that . but I thought maybe the would use the data at double the rate or something .. is why I mentioned it . incase this is what happened.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know that . but I thought maybe the would use the data at double the rate or something .. is why I mentioned it . incase this is what happened.
Bart, either download the app to your phone or create the '3' account then tell us what it says ... without that we are all guessing.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The 192.168.1.1 page will only tell you what you've used since you turned it on that time, not what you've used in total, or what's left - for that you either need to use the app or create an account on '3' website and look at the actual usage that way - creating an account doesn't mean they can take any more money off you - you've paid for 12gb usage and that's what you'll get if you use it before the 12 months is up.
HI Mel . so I changed back to the sim with 5gb used that stopped working last night . and now it's working again. Ofc when I put in the new sim I reset it to zero so I could track useage.but atm with either sim that I've used so far I cannot see how much "TOTAL" data I have used . under the app with the sim that I've used 5gb with it is sayin a few 100 mb used only.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Bart, either download the app to your phone or create the '3' account then tell us what it says ... without that we are all guessing.
Had the app Mel but now I have reinserted the sim with 5gb used on it the app is telling me 190mb used, currently trying to register with 3,,, it's Slowwwwwwwwwwww :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Had the app Mel but now I have reinserted the sim with 5gb used on it the app is telling me 190mb used, currently trying to register with 3,,, it's Slowwwwwwwwwwww :)
Yes, for some reason I too find the ruddy '3' site slow most of the time ...

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You don't have to 'activate' a Three SIM before you go abroad. You also don't have to create an account or log in to see your usage, simply navigate to www.three.co.uk via a Three connection and Click Login > Data Allowance. This will work even if there is no data left on the SIM. Here's a shortcut: www.three.co.uk/New_My3/Data_allowance (or try https://www.three.co.uk/New_My3/Data_allowance )

I would reset the MiFi (pin on the reverse) and re-enable roaming but leave automatic connection on.

What you describe is actually fairly common (not connecting, disallowed by the network) and there is no specific fix. The issue with Three when roaming is that you can only use a partner network, it's not a true 'roaming' SIM.

Roughly unable to connect from abt 2000 Sun until 0800 Mon when it came back on for about an hour and then off again until just now 1600 Mon. Couldn't even ring Three!

Three had a planned outage this weekend from 9pm Saturday 12th that affected PAYG customers and those roaming abroad, which I believe ran over to Monday. Why they don't text everyone this information, I don't know, but this could well be the cause for both issues.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok got the data to display properly ..after I created the account. before that it just showed 12gb.
Thanks all for the help .
@Addie I'll try that about resetting it
Here are photos of before I got registered and after

Attachments

• 20161114_171050.jpg
    20161114_171050.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20161114_195814.jpg
    20161114_195814.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As has been said make sure you have auto update and have picture upload turned off.

Pic upload is what scupperd us when in N Z all the 12GB was gone in just over two weeks :)

We found the 3 site as slow as dial up :mad:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok got the data to display properly ..after I created the account. before that it just showed 12gb.
Thanks all for the help .
@Addie I'll try that about resetting it
Here are photos of before I got registered and after

You haven't posted a 'after' picture, but registering won't affect the data counter.

You start with 12288MB (1024MB in a GB) and you had used 10MB in that image.

If you are now 'below' 12000MB then something has used almost 300MB in 3 hours which might be a bit excessive for web browsing. Perhaps consider using Opera with Turbo enabled (assuming PC): http://www.opera.com/turbo and has already been mentioned ensure all automatic updates including Windows Update if PC are turned off.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
On android I take it pic upload would be under cloud options or something like that ? we made sure all os and app updates are turned of . just supprised we have used 5gb in 1 week.. just from Web and Facebook . no video streaming or anything like that . . also is there anyway to tell how much data a certain device has used .. as in phone or tablet or laptop.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Btw the 3 devices that are connected are 2x Samsung android phones , both have os updates and play store turned off.
The 3rd device is an iPad which has iOS updates turned off , and has no apps installed in it.
What else should I be checking that is turned off.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Currently I am using an alcatel pixi3. with a 3 sim as a MiFi. The only thing I found so far is that it downloaded a bunch of Updates for SWMBO`s I-Pad. And sucked up a full 3gb in no time flat!. You have to make sure that Auto updates are turned off on ALL devices connecting to it as they see it as "WiFi" NOT Mobile Data.

The pixi ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...914544?hash=item1a07bc0df0:g:6AQAAOSwwbdWGsMN ) was purchased for my Granddaughter to use whilst she was over from the USA last summer, so is surplus as a phone. It`s now turned off until I need it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back