help req re adding more usb sockets (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I would like to add more usb charging points in my M/H and have decided that the the best way for me to do this is to add a new switched circuit directly from the leisure batteries.

My main reason for this is that i have recently purchased a 12v PTZ camera so that I can keep an eye on our dog when we are not there plus some added deterrent/security (I have heard so many stories about gassing and being injected with a lethal dose of dementia inducing drugs LOL) joke by the way.

I digress, anyhow what I would like advise on is would it be better to fit

(A)
these
s-l225 (1).jpg

(B)

s-l225.jpg

these and what cable would be required.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depending on where you want to put them you can actually do away totally with the 'square' backing plate and just make a hole in a locker etc for the actual socket itself, that's what I did, easy peasy and a lot cheaper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
'B' for definite.
Direct connection via a standard USB lead.

'A' will need a USB adaptor which is another 'joint in the chain'
In other words...yet another electrical joint to possibly fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Thanks(y) these are the things I need to know, i'm fairly practical but don't pretend to understand the technical side of things.

So what type of cable would you recommend;)

Just out of interest this is the camera i have bought, extremely impressed with the quality of the the picture even in the dark it''s VV clear, how technology has come on in the last 10 years:whatthe: and only £35 a little bulky but I can live with that.

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In order to use it to keep an eye on your dog when you're not there, how are you intending to connect it to the internet?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
And a camera won’t stop the dog chewing your upholstery, but I guess you can watch him doing it if there’s nothing better on tv.....:D2

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
As with humans dogs are different, if my dog is outside in a hot climate he becomes distressed and is much more comfortable in the M/h, I take him with me on my travels during the winter usually ending up in spain ( my OH has still got 5 years to retirement thanks to successive governments, but that's another story)
the camera is so that I can go out and explore without continually worrying about him. Oh and the only thing he is likely to chew is the Ba££s of any intruder, and in the words of the immortal Hughie Green..." I mean that most sincerely folks"(y)

If any one wishes to break into my M/h whilst the dog is there had better hang on to their wedding tackle.:LOL:

Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I use a Juicepower Station from Tesco it can fully charge any iPhone up to six times on one full charge... has two USB sockets you have it on days out and when theres no electricity you can still charge HAPPY DAYS I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
The trouble with the second one is the silly little LED light that is on all the time.
The trouble with the second one is the silly little LED light that is on all the time.
Agreed! I have these and the blue LED is bright at night. However a piece of black insulation tape works well. You can also get a version without the LED

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use a Juicepower Station from Tesco it can fully charge any iPhone up to five times on one full charge... has two USB sockets you have it on days out and when theres no electricity you can still charge HAPPY DAYS I hope this helps.

Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
The Juice Power Station is designed to save you the stress of being caught out with a flat battery. With a 11200mAh capacity, it can fully charge a Samsung S6 or an iPhone 6 at least 6 times and an iPad Air at least once. This super-high capacity portable power bank can simultaneously charge 2 devices, so you can ensure that all of your gadgets have enough juice to last the day. It also has a 2.4 amp output to rapidly charge your phone, tablet or other devices.

This handy bright blue power bank features patented Smart Power Detection technology, allowing you to check the remaining battery capacity at a glance without pressing any buttons. Simply shake and tap the charger to make the LED lights display the remaining battery capacity.

The Juice Power Station features an anti-slip rubber coating makes the power bank extra durable and comes with a micro USB charging lead and a detachable carry strap to make it even more convenient to take on the go.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/juice-powerstation-aqua/649-0712.prd?source=others

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What is it with all these lights? Why do the designers think we want lights on everything?

I've got a USB adaptor that has a constant blue light, its right in the corner of my vision when driving. Really irritating!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
What is it with all these lights? Why do the designers think we want lights on everything?

I've got a USB adaptor that has a constant blue light, its right in the corner of my vision when driving. Really irritating!
Skill 2mm drill will probably sort that out

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Try twisting the adaptor round so the light is 'hidden' by the end of the USB lead ... (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Message to self: make sure when replying to a thread you put the response on the right one! :D2

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back