Help registering new Globecar with DVLA (1 Viewer)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Btw - just in case I am muddying the water. It was initially the VCA that really caused the issue for Norman Jones. As long as you don't need a mutual CoC they won't even enter the equation.

The DVLA accept the van as new/1st registration when you follow the route @sallylillian described with the V55 and v267. You should also be given a certificate of newness from the supplying dealer which you can give the DVLA as final proof.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I've our doc for our Gloabecar if you need a copy of details bit
Only snag I cant find how to send a PM
Click on avatar picture/photo to left of members post then on "Start A Conversation" .
We are following this thread as considering importing in the future so everyones comments are of interest & much appreciated :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I disagree! Yes you can drive a vehicle to a test centre, if required to do so, but you can't drive an unregistered vehicle from the port to home.

I checked this thoroughly before importing ours and was told by the DVLA, in no uncertain terms, and in writing, that we could not drive it from the port to home unless it was registered.
Sorry you are incorrect, the DVLA information is that that they recommend you do not drive and have it transported. Although their wording trys make you think you can't.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
No, I believe that I am quite correct. We will just have to agree to disagree unless you can provide evidence to show that you are right.

It is illegal to drive a vehicle with foreign plate and you should drive home without plates. Most of us leave the plates on far less chance of getting stopped than without plates.

As a matter of interest, this statement is also misleading!

Foreign nationals in the UK are permitted to drive vehicles with foreign plates on vehicles registered in their own country.

Furthermore, if what you believe is, indeed correct, why would "most of us" drive home with foreign plates when you believe that to be illegal? Risking prosecution seems rather foolish if, by driving from port to home with no plates is actually permitted.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No, I believe that I am quite correct. We will just have to agree to disagree unless you can provide evidence to show that you are right.

Foreign nationals in the UK are permitted to drive vehicles with foreign plates on vehicles registered in their own country. Correct, what is the relevance to the Gerry and his needs?

Furthermore, if what you believe is, indeed correct, why would "most of us" drive home with foreign plates when you believe that to be illegal? Risking prosecution seems rather foolish if, by driving from port to home with no plates is actually permitted.
You are in fact wrong, but ignorance is bliss, 'ain't it

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The OP was not asking about the legalities of driving it back!
Why has this thread been turned into an argument on another subject?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Foreign nationals in the UK are permitted to drive vehicles with foreign plates on vehicles registered in their own country.

Yes but only as tourists. If they are in the UK in excess of 30 days/working/looking for work/knowingly entering into the Uk with the intention of residing permanently /etc; then once over 30 day period they are residents of the UK, regardless of the fact that the UK does not require registration unlike other EU states, & as such they cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle.
Even the police/border agency ,etc; who roll out the " is it staying more than 6 months" line are incorrect. 6 months is, & only ever was, for tourist /non-residents.
Additionally it is also illegal as once the owner has been in the country for 90 days they automatically become a resident & the period of 6 months for the car then becomes irrelevant.
The law is the same EU wide & is enforced here in some areas of Spain,to the detriment of some holiday home owners who have been forced to get certificates of non-residency from the local Spanish " oficina de Extranjeros " to prevent their vehicles being issued with rematriculation papers &/ or seized.
& yes , I had all this out with the dvla / EU commission in 2013. The dvla was a nightmare . They got their eventually but only after about 12 emails & dragging out the back office expert. Whereas the EU replied within the 10 day window expertly & accurately.
The only exceptions to the above rule are for 'professional drivers' , normally lorry drivers whose firms run EU plated trucks in the UK & car hire firm employee's that may have to return cross border hire vehicles.
Sorry to Op for slightly off topic.

If you want an absolute definition ask the question correctly using the EU Solvit process

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back