LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello all... can you give me some advice please. These little birds, two of them, must be confused with the strange and mild weather. They have set up nest in an old bird box in my garden.... it isn't very weather proof but I can't touch it now or it would upset them.. However, I am concerned about their survival... I went and bought some wild bird seed and put that out in the garden every day and I also, earlier this week, bought some meadow hay and have put it in clumps around the garden so that they might use it to build up their nest and keep warm... but I don't think they have taken any of the hay.

Yesterday the weather turned really cold and I have to admit that I am concerned about them as they never appeared. Do any of you bird watchers have any suggestions as to how I might help them survive when the weather turns worse. I would feel better if I could weatherproof the box but obviously I can't.
IMG_0003.JPG

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I not a bird expert Joy but I am pretty sure they would not be there unless they thought it a lovely place to stay.

I think it is a great tit and should be perfectly happy during our winter months. :xThumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Joy, are you sure they are nesting and not using the box for roosting or even they may be after spiders and other insect in there.

I doubt young would survive in the current weather ... probably the best winter feed for them would be fat cakes or balls.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Are you sure they're nesting? I think birds choose their mates and sus out boxes at this time of year ready for spring. Or they could just be hunting for spiders in the box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
they will be fine inside there Joy

you have a pair of great tits by the way (y)

:LOL::LOL:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Clothes cover a multitude of sins.... oh, sorry, misunderstood.

Yes, David, can't wait to start using the camera instead of phone ... should get some nice photos of them. :) and the moon, of course.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sometimes I wonder about these threads ....where are we going with responses like "Geat Tits " and Fat Balls" " ???? Lol

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Are you sure they're nesting? I think birds choose their mates and sus out boxes at this time of year ready for spring. Or they could just be hunting for spiders in the box.

I THINK so ... I saw them taking some wet grass in there the first day they were there, but you could be right.... Where do they nest over winter then, do you know? I thought these little fellas went South .. have I got that wrong?

I have a bird box that a fellow of the tiny finches come back to every year and breed, but I was most upset this year that just as the babies had hatched a load of wasps took over the box .. :( I dread to think what is inside the box now. Need to find a man to go up there before spring to clear it out ..:crying:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy, are you sure they are nesting and not using the box for roosting or even they may be after spiders and other insect in there.

I doubt young would survive in the current weather ... probably the best winter feed for them would be fat cakes or balls.

Thank you. I put a seed ring with suet inside, quite close to the box... they seemed to really enjoy the suet. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Those Great Tits will be fine Joy. We still have a few coming, plus Blue Tits & Coal Tits, Sparrow, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, Robins, Magpies, Jackdaws, Crows and hordes of Starlings. Birds are used to coping with the cold weather :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We no longer get birds, even sparrows appear to have disappeared along with tits. Hedgehogs are something else to have disappeared within a few years.
Magpies crows seagulls and robins but little else...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have loads of small birds in our garden Joy. I put feed and water out for them and they check out the boxes regularly - I see them changing the grass and so on that is in there. I'm not sure if they sleep there overnight but they are not breeding at present - they do fight over the food and water - a lot!!! The tits are quite aggressive and will chase off birds much larger than they are. Fun to watch.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have loads of birds just arriving from the cold north after their migration :)

Saw some great tits on the beach today :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can arrange to look after any pigeons that you might have extra........ :whistle2:

You can always tell when the sparrowhawk is around - the starlings, finches etc all head for cover, but the pigeons are simply too thick to do so.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We no longer get birds, even sparrows appear to have disappeared along with tits. Hedgehogs are something else to have disappeared within a few years.
Magpies crows seagulls and robins but little else...

We hardly get any small birds now either. Have always fed them and we had lots in garden and all of sudden they don't come anymore. Pigeons and magpies is all . How can we attract them back?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We hardly get any small birds now either. Have always fed them and we had lots in garden and all of sudden they don't come anymore. Pigeons and magpies is all . How can we attract them back?

1] don't tidy the garden - let plants seed, let the grass grow, let twigs rot, let fallen leaves compost - they all provide natural food through either seeds or attracting insects - this can be done in specific areas of the garden or like ours, through total neglect of the whole garden - "gardening for wildlife" I like to call it
2] put out water for drinking and bathing all year round
3] get a water pistol to deter neighbours' cats

Lots of other things too, but there's an easy start

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe it depends on the food you put out.
We provide a range of any 5 from peanuts, sunflower seeds, suet pellets, fat balls, filled coconut halves and suet cakes and find that different foods are eaten more quickly at different times of the year. Sometimes different foods are eaten more quickly in the back garden from those in the front garden.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It is not necessary to feed birds unless we have a prolonged period of very bad weather.
The Sparrow hawks love bird feeders......you are making their life easy,they don't eat only sparrows.
RSPB and others make loads of money out of well meaning people who are wasting their money.
In the very unlikely event of eggs being laid now,chicks hatching,they will not survive.
Sorry!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is not necessary to feed birds unless we have a prolonged period of very bad weather.
The Sparrow hawks love bird feeders......you are making their life easy,they don't eat only sparrows.
RSPB and others make loads of money out of well meaning people who are wasting their money.
In the very unlikely event of eggs being laid now,chicks hatching,they will not survive.
Sorry!
Sparrowhawks main grub around here is pigeon al la tartare........ back garden or village green - massive circle of feathers :xwink:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks every one of you... never cease to be amazed how helpful you are over all things even non motorhome related. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have a sparrowhawk (and a falcon) from time to time round here but haven't seen them take more than one of the dozens of birds about on each visit.
No, they leave the others for filling the piesties .....:xThumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hello all... can you give me some advice please. These little birds, two of them, must be confused with the strange and mild weather. They have set up nest in an old bird box in my garden.... it isn't very weather proof but I can't touch it now or it would upset them.
Yesterday the weather turned really cold and I have to admit that I am concerned about them as they never appeared. Do any of you bird watchers have any suggestions as to how I might help them survive when the weather turns worse. I would feel better if I could weatherproof the box but obviously I can't.
View attachment 138453

Joy...You are bound to see more blue tits in the cold weather...;)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is it too late to volunteer to give @movan's box an examination?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back