LindyLoo500

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Okay, we are going travelling to live the dream, but don't know what to buy on a very limited budget. We will be gone for years rather than months, and broadly we have identified our requirements as the following:

We need good living space; our initial thoughts were an RV, minimum 30', but we also want to tow a small car, so the majority would put us over the legal towing limits. A bike is not an option, so a car is a must. This means the maximum unladen weight needs to be 6.5 tonnes.

We would consider something of 26', (no less) but only if it doesn't have a fixed bed, as that takes up too much living space. Might possibly consider a fixed bed in a 28' though. With something of this size we would want to separate sofas, i.e. 2 single beds, or slide outs.

Now, here's the real rub. Our very maximum budget is £20k, and would like to spend less. There are loads of RVs under that price, but it's the weight problem.

So, has anybody got any good ideas?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the forum. 1) ensure you have the correct driving licence for the weight'
2) Ensure the vehicle you buy and load to the gunnels with "can't do without" everyday living items has sufficient payload in reserve to allow for the train weight you need.
3) Good luck with the insurance, read all you can on here, the answers are all here someplace.
As to a suitable vehicle for long term and lots of travelling can you afford 8-10mpg. If not then look fro a Euro van. There are many people who are or have downsized to fulltime due to costs and manoeuvrability.
4) do you intend to stay on sites or wild, if on sites have you considered a 5ver, loads of space and no need for a toad.
5) A framing a car in Europe is ok in France and that's about it other countries have or are making it illegal, so a trailer may be the answer.
6) Germany has many "UMWELT" or low emission zones older vehicles may not comply a petrol/LPG may be ok not sure on that one.
Lots to think about.:thumb:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
As wildman said you'll probably best be looking at a euro van....just make sure it's fully winterised if you are staying in the UK over winter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My sister is selling hers through this company,

Broken Link Removed

Not sure if it is what you are looking for, it was to big for them!

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
I'm assuming you've done lots of research on motorhomes & have owned one before??

Remember the cost of fuel is ridiculous on the larger types - less than 15 mph on some.

Visit loads of dealers & check out all the different types - a u-shaped lounge at the back will double up as a bed & you can leave it made up if you want for long periods of time if you aren't going to be using it as a seating area but then you will be able to have the seating area if you want it.

Are you thinking of travelling to where the sun shines? If so, maybe the size isn't so important as you'll be outside most of the time.

Be careful, whatever you do & don't rush into it. I've thought of full-timing (even though it's totally unrealistic atm - no harm in dreaming:Smile:) and I would be more than happy with a 6.5 - 7m van. Less is more type of thing.

Dot

Edit - you could take a look in the 'full timers forum' for further info.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We FT, and started with an RV, then a 5th wheel, now a euro van - best choice of the lot - has all the space and storage we need, better mpg than an RV, and a better size for driving and siting up. We have changed the layout from a dinette to an L shaped lounge - makes a huge difference and for very little cost. Has a fixed bed - which is a must if fulltiming - and the additional over cab bed is extra storage.
You may well struggle with the budget - but maybe stretch a bit and this one would fit the bill -

Broken Link Removed

its what we have but as I said, we changed the layout!
a 5T van, and over a ton payload! Will easily tow a car, 24mpg and all at 8m.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i love these optomistic posts....were going to full time round the world in an enormous rv, but on a tight budget:ROFLMAO:

sorry but you need to do a massive amount of research before you start wasting money. everything from insurance and mot which you must have to keep legal or you cant cross borders, through to weight limits, driving licences and running costs.

honestly you should try living in a van in this country for a while before you give up your home. its never easy to admit defeat and go back. youre in the best place though, as there is plenty of info on this forum

OP
OP
L

LindyLoo500

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
i love these optomistic posts....were going to full time round the world in an enormous rv, but on a tight budget:ROFLMAO:

sorry but you need to do a massive amount of research before you start wasting money. everything from insurance and mot which you must have to keep legal or you cant cross borders, through to weight limits, driving licences and running costs.

honestly you should try living in a van in this country for a while before you give up your home. its never easy to admit defeat and go back. youre in the best place though, as there is plenty of info on this forum

Thanks to most of you for all the sensible advice. There is always one, though, isn't there? Don't ridicule me, TheBig1, when you know nothing about us or our circumstances. To clear a few points:

1) I don't believe I said anywhere that we are on a tight budget; actually we're not. We would just prefer to spend no more than £20k on a vehicle which leaves us more to spend on fuel.

2) The reason I joined this forum was precisely to hopefully get some sensible advice and help before buying something which proved to be a mistake. It seems that most people are happy and able to give that.

3) We have no home to give up. We gave it up a long while ago to care full time, 24/7, 365 days a year, for my 95year old totally disabled father rather than stuff him in a home like the one on Panorama the other evening. When our job is done we will already be homeless, and will be able to happily go on our travels and leave nothing behind us.

Spare me the sympathy, but also spare me the ridicule.

I am digesting the other info and thanks for the links, I'll certainly take a look at them and be back later :thumb:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Really dont think thebig1 was ridiculing you , sounded like sensible advice to me.
The people on here are amazing and will pull out all the stops, try looking at pinkie and her threads before you start moaning too much, keep an open mind, read all the advice and choose the bits that helped.

OP
OP
L

LindyLoo500

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Sorry, Carolyn, where I come from, somebody "rolling about on floor laughing" at something you say is ridicule.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Lindyloo,

I can feel for your situation and there are parallels with the Tinca's regarding aged parents and the stress of making sure they live with maximum dignity. We also have recently purchased our second motor home after a long period without one and we did meticulous research to ensure we made a sensible purchase. Then we went to a show and bought one that was totally different.

One of the problems with posts is that the meaning can be interpreted many ways. That is because we rely on tone and body language when we communicate as much as the content, and this is difficult to get across even using the emoticons. TheBig1's comment that you should live in the UK full time as a kind of shake down trial was meant as good advice and was born out of experience of dreams that did not quite come true. I'm sure it was meant to help you. I remember someone posting on here that you will never find your ideal motor home until you have owned at least 3 of them.

Good luck with your dream.........we believe that with a little luck and a lot of effort they really can come true,

The Tinca's

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
For full-timing I would choose an A class - pull down bed over cab

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when youve been motorhoming for 40 odd years, you too will look back and see the humour in people that have no idea, but plan to buy their dream. jumping in both feet first believing that you know everything is a trap many have faced at great expense. for instance a 30ft bungalow on wheels sounds great till you find out the difficulties such a choice will cause you

no ridicule intended of course and to be honest if that post upset you, then this sort of forum may really not be your cup of tea. on here you will get many opinions expressed based on real life experiences living in and touring the world with motorhomes. some is a little bit silly and although supportive doesnt really help. other posts are brutally honest but given to try and help you

before expecting all posts on here to be fully serious, have a read about what we are all about. this is motorhome FUN

i wont put any nasty emoticons on this post so it does not cause confusion

OP
OP
L

LindyLoo500

Free Member
May 7, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
OK, let's start over again from fresh. :winky:

The point of my joining the forum is because we know zip, zilch, SFA about motor homes, and welcome any and all advice from those of you who clearly know more than we do.

Actually, I have a wicked sense of humour and take most things in good part. If I stick around long enough you will see it very quickly. It's just that it is always difficult for new posters, and it's much nicer to treat them with kindness.........

We are planning our trip with great care, and you will see that we have become very aware of the pitfalls of a 30' plus vehicle, that's why we'd like some sensible suggestions from those of you who have the experience that we don't.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are planning our trip with great care, and you will see that we have become very aware of the pitfalls of a 30' plus vehicle, that's why we'd like some sensible suggestions from those of you who have the experience that we don't.

Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

I've fulltimed for 3 years now, first in a Burstner Elegance i821g (A-class) then in a Hobby Toskana 750 (low profile). Layout of the latter is particularly good for fulltiming (for me anyway). If you are at any of the Fun meets you are very welcome to drop in for a coffee and chat. :Smile:

I wouldn't get too hung up about 26' no fixed bed vs 28' fixed bed as some vans make better use of space than others. Overall layout is more important and how a particular van might work for you and your requirements.

With your budget you might like to look at older Hobby 750s like this one: Broken Link Removed

They come in a variety of layouts, are fully winterised and generally well-built. The above one has a dinette and a French bed, but you can get ones with an L-shaped front lounge and/or a transverse bed or two single beds over a garage. Tag-axle means a good payload but you might have to look carefully at towing weight limits. In this country, a toad on an A-frame shouldn't be a problem. Abroad you might find you don't even need a tow car as the Hobby is not that big to really cause parking/access problems.

I would recommend getting to as many motorhome shows as possible and playing around with the second-hand vans on display.

If you decide to stick around and pay your £10 sub you'll be able to search easily through all the threads on this forum - there's a whole load of useful info tucked away. :Smile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Full timed for 3 years in a 7.3m fixed bed 5.6t MH, was perfect us but was the third MH we had owned.

Big decision to make early on is your reasons and method of FTiming. Will you pitch up somewhere and stay for a few weeks/months or move on constantly after a few days. If you are always on the move then a fixed bed is heaven at the end of a day, believe me.

We travelled all the time and rarely stopped anywhere for more than 5 or 6 days, so getting 20+ mpg was very important.
If you are going to ferry across the Med a lot then vehicle length is critical, as can be height.

Buying a base vehicle that is easily serviced is pretty important where ever you are, no good having to back track 500 or more miles just to service/repair your MH.

I thought the TheBig1's advice was very sound, didn't think he ridiculed you at all. Maybe he was just trying to bring you down to earth sharply as we all started with unrealistic dreams and have had to modify them. His advice will save you time, money and grief.

Many of us have been in a similar personal position to yourself, I admire and congratulate your dedication and obvious caring nature, but you do have a less taxing and easier future, there are hundreds and hundreds of people on here very willing to help a Newby, good luck.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We FT, and started with an RV, then a 5th wheel, now a euro van - best choice of the lot - has all the space and storage we need, better mpg than an RV, and a better size for driving and siting up. [HI]We have changed the layout from a dinette to an L shaped lounge - makes a huge difference and for very little cost.[/HI] Has a fixed bed - which is a must if fulltiming - and the additional over cab bed is extra storage.
You may well struggle with the budget - but maybe stretch a bit and this one would fit the bill -

Broken Link Removed

its what we have but as I said, we changed the layout!
a 5T van, and over a ton payload! Will easily tow a car, 24mpg and all at 8m.:thumb:

Dave

What's the major advantage of changing from dinette to L shape seating, we are soon to refurbish our fabrics so possibly a good moment to alter the layout.
We do have a door and cupboards opposite our dinette, do you have a sofa?

Don't have a photo of your modified seating area do you?

Thanks

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Dave

What's the major advantage of changing from dinette to L shape seating, we are soon to refurbish our fabrics so possibly a good moment to alter the layout.
We do have a door and cupboards opposite our dinette, do you have a sofa?

Don't have a photo of your modified seating area do you?

Thanks

Space!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 54

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Thanks Dave see what you mean, but what do you do for a dining table?

if it's anything like our Rollerteam T-line 700 non-family, then it will use a fold up one stored somewhere (ours is in the wardrobe area). ours doesn't come as standard with a dinette table as we found that gives less living space (as per our last m/h) and is why we chose the T-line. and with no overcab bed as it's strictly 2 berth, you also get 2 large sunroofs to let light in and also offers more headroom which is nice

back to the OP's question - living space is critical in our view so choose carefully. we think we have just about got it right with the T-line for us - but it may not suit others.

(not FTing at the mo - probably never will - but some extended trips planned in the near future so the m/h was chosen with that in mind)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Thanks Dave see what you mean, but what do you do for a dining table?

A dining table???? How posh are you :ROFLMAO:

99% of the time - a tray suffices.
We also have a small wooden collapsible table of the type used for laptops etc (£7.99 from Dunelm Mill !) which missus uses, and our 'outside' collapsible table is also just a perfect size to use inside as and when we might want to sit and eat with more than the 2 of us. That said - it's very rare!

We made the changes to suit what WE want to use the space for the majority of the time - and being FT that was the most important thing - a decent 'lounging' area to chill and watch TV:thumb:

....you're priorities change when FT'ing as opposed to weekending and even long term touring as the van is actually your 'home' ::bigsmile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
A dining table???? [HI]How posh are you [/HI]:ROFLMAO:

99% of the time - a tray suffices.
We also have a small wooden collapsible table of the type used for laptops etc (£7.99 from Dunelm Mill !) which missus uses, and our 'outside' collapsible table is also just a perfect size to use inside as and when we might want to sit and eat with more than the 2 of us. That said - it's very rare!

We made the changes to suit what WE want to use the space for the majority of the time - and being FT that was the most important thing - a decent 'lounging' area to chill and watch TV:thumb:

....you're priorities change when FT'ing as opposed to weekending and even long term touring as the van is actually your 'home' ::bigsmile:

Dave, if only you knew...

Taking your advice and going for a settee as stood in the MH and imagined how it would look, but where you keep the pouffe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back