Help Please (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've suddenly lost sound when playing videos within the forum, eg the music thread. Everything's fine when playing direct eg YouTube. Any ideas why?

Malcolm

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure but maybe some tweaking going on? I having problems re attaching some photos to links. :(

Gromett?
Forum issues are a Jim thing not a Gromett thing sorry...

I can only deal with back end issues on the server. Jim is the God like figure who does EVERYTHING with respect to the forum.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
movan just to clarify, I know absolutely nothing about the forum software at all.

I deal with database issues, speed issues, email server and DNS. But anything above that level I am absolutely useless.

People quite often start a sentence with "You're good with computers aren't you"... "My computer is doing X,Y or Z"... They are then completely dissapointed when I tell them I haven't touched windows in over a decade and know nothing about mobile phones.

It's a bit like going to a Brain surgeon and saying "you're good with biology aren't you?" Then following up with "I have this gynaecological issue you could help me with?" :p

I just re-read what I had just typed. I am not having a go and you and anyone else is always welcome to ask me for help, I honestly don't mind. But I am not unfortunately some computer God who knows everything about things with a cpu :(

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Well at least we know where to go when we have a problem with our “back ends” ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm running Linux Mint 19 and Firefox 67.0. I tried rebooting whole PC. I rely heavily on saved passwords/logins for non personal/financial sites. Will clearing cache clear these login details?

Malcolm

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm running Linux Mint 19 and Firefox 67.0. I tried rebooting whole PC. I rely heavily on saved passwords/logins for non personal/financial sites. Will clearing cache clear these login details?

Malcolm
Firefox is now at v69.0 but doubtful if that would be the cause. Clearing your cache will probably remove passwords \ logins. I have Firefox set-up to do that every time I close and any previous login details have to be re-entered.
The next admission will not be of assistance either!:whistle:
Rebuilt a dual booting desktop (Windows 7 and Mint 19.3) a week or so ago and yesterday could I get the audio to work at all? No I couldn't! So, out of Mint into 7 and it was working. Back into Mint and nope! Do you think the output being muted might have been a problem!:doh::doh::doh:
Have you tried, or are you on, Mint 19.3 Tessa? Might be worth a try but why some wbesites work (Youtube) and here doesn't?:confused::confused::confused:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Rebuilt a dual booting desktop (Windows 7 and Mint 19.3) a week or so ago and yesterday could I get the audio to work at all? No I couldn't! So, out of Mint into 7 and it was working. Back into Mint and nope!
I had a similar problem. I have a W7 install for when clients get a bug with my software that I can't replicate. Occassionaly I need to test on W7 to see if the same problem arises there.
One time I went into W7 then back to linux and I lost audio in slack and skype. It seems Windows can set some hardware setting and screws it up so that when Linux loads it doesn't reconfigure properly.

I can't remember how I fixed it on Linux now. But the audio had become muted.

But it is something in task bar, click on on the audio icon then audio settings and play in there?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: If you can play audio in firefox on say youtube but not on the forum then it is not the issue I listed above.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I started to get the same problem, all video links on the forum had no sound. Hovered my mouse over the video and noticed that they were showing as muted in the video taskbar, even though my laptop was clearly showing as sound enabled and working in every other app. Usually when I turn the volume up on my lappy any video/app muting is automatically turned off but doesn't do it with embedded video links on the forum.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Solved it! (By accident). If you right click on a tab in Firefox, one of the options is 'Mute Tab'. Switch to 'Unmute' and problem solved. When muted there is a symbol on the tab that I hadn't noticed
Could it be an ID 10t problem? ?

I regret to say Janine was right. Although it could have been an Apple user breaking into my house and sabotaging my PC::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I started to get the same problem, all video links on the forum had no sound. Hovered my mouse over the video and noticed that they were showing as muted in the video taskbar, even though my laptop was clearly showing as sound enabled and working in every other app. Usually when I turn the volume up on my lappy any video/app muting is automatically turned off but doesn't do it with embedded video links on the forum.
oh I forgot about that as I use ALL the features of firefox before they are automatically applied by.

Mute video is a feature in firefox that has been around for quite some time but only recently enabled by default. It is to prevent adverts blaring out on page load.
You can disable this in settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back