Gillus

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 747
Exp
We are on site newbies for the second time. The last trip was 4 weeks ago all was fine. This time problem with water tank / pump. Filled the tank up put pump on but wouldn't stop no water out of taps but pouring out of an overflow pipe ? Eventually emptied the tank still no running water. Tried again with taps open but water flows from overflow instead of taps. Any ideas welcome please ? Van is new rollerteam 747. Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sounds like your boiler frost protection valve has operated. The pump is trying to fill the boiler but the water is just running straight out.

You need to find the dump valve and close it (y)

I'm not familiar with your particular van so can't help with where it might be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My guess you need to reset the automatic drain as its been cold, somebody else will tell you how if you can't find it in the instructions.

We don,t have one.

Martin

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
image.jpeg

Something like this,it'll be above where the water is coming out.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Gillus It's almost certainly your dump valve. Find it, close it and ensure it stays closed.

They come in different guises and don't always look like the one in rb62's helpful photo. Many are coloured differently (not just blue) or may even be a metal fitting. Mine is yellow to differentiate it from other valves. Some are like a double toggle 'lever'. If horizontal, i.e. Level with the floor, the valve is closed. If its perpendicular i.e. at 90° to the floor, the valve is open! You can't always see the vent pipe because it's under the valve and routed straight down through the floor. You just see the puddle and drips!

They 'trip' and dump all your water when the outside temperature gets low. The temperature point at which they trip depends on the equipment fitted. Some open and dump your water at +4°C. Some at higher temp's.

To prevent this, some Funsters are known to hold the valve closed with a clothes peg, or other method.

If you're filling with water and it's "coming out of an overflow" the pump will run and try to prime the taps.

Hope this helps?
PS I'm assuming that the water is def running from the vent pipe and you've got no leaking unions anywhere.

OP
OP
Gillus

Gillus

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 747
Exp
Thanks Wingman yes definitely coming from the vent pipe I will look for our dump valve tomorrow when it's light thanks again everyone

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope you find the problem tomorrow and it's easily rectified.
It's amazing that problems don't seem so bad after a glass of wine! Enjoy!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's the dump valve - you need to warm up the area around it and then reset it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Almost certainly due to an automatic dump valve opening to release the water from your boiler to protect it from freezing (and presenting you with an expensive bill). The valve should be accessible just above where the 'overflow' is occurring. If you have a handbook, that should tell you about it and how to reset it. It releases when it gets too cold and may not be possible to reset until warm again, so try to warm it if you can. If it has opened while you have been in the van, see if you can find a way to get more heat to it or it will happen again.

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
Same thing happened to us two weeks ago(we are newbies too)...it was the dump valve.It took just a minute to get it sorted.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
easy to find it will be more or less directly above where the water is running out from i spent 20 mins trying to fill up last week due to the same thing

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You have got the dump valve open as all the others said.
If it happens again look underneath and you will see it going under pump pressure. You need to reset it and buy a peg to hold it when you are on board. For the same reason turn off the water pump when not in it and it will only empty the boiler not the whole lot.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi guys
Everyone is right
But remember it's not a vent pipe!!!
That's a totally different thing.
It's the dump valve pipe.
it will remain closed (not letting water run out of it to the floor outside)
Whilst ever your boiler is heated up and the temperature around the valve is warm or hot.
In winter a lot of us put a clip or peg onto the valve head usually coloured red /blue/yellow so it cant drop down
and let the water run outside to the floor. But its important NOT to let the temperature in or around the boiler drop to below freezing. The water in the boiler risks freezing and can cause serious damage to the boiler or pipework.

When you are not using your van in winter remove the peg push the valve down by hand so that the valve dumps the water from the boiler
and run the pump until all water is out of the system. I am sure draining down and winterising is well covered in other threads.
As a peg I cut the end off a coat hanger with the spring clips on it has a good grip.

BUT DO NOT FORGET YO REMOVE IT

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Pegs are becoming old school. New dump valves are different.
Whilst the principles may be similar, not everyone has identical kit.
Even manufacturers can't be bothered to instruct you about the kit you have, so it can be a bit of a minefield.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi rogher
I am old school
We had slate to write on in primary