Help please. Windows 10 internet fault (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi I still have a problem with my computer, it is strange.

When I first open a web page, no problem, but if I open another tab, or click a link the computer just hangs. Sometimes if I leave it it connects after a wait, sometimes it doesn't. If I open the connection and click on settings the page will open. I have changed the firewall and antivirus and it has made no difference. I've googled the fault but not found an answer.

Any help would be good.

John

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Yes it is the same with 3 browsers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If it started recently you may be able to troubleshoot and roll back the PC to an earlier patch version (all these monthly updates, eventually screw things up).
Clear out all your cookies.
Check your network connection properties. Is the DNS lookup auto (default) or are they set to specific sites, try changing the latter, and have a look to on any router if you have that other than default.
Always worth doing a complete virus scan, but with a different av to your usual one. I often temporarily download malwarebytes, and delete it afterwards. But if using your own av then make sure windows did disable it's inbuilt defender thing or the two may be fighting each other. If you had a previous av make sure it was fully removed - sometimes you need that av providers special utilities to do it reliably.
Also try checking your registry for all the unwanted stuff, left behind by software - I often use ccleaner again temporary install.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If it started recently you may be able to troubleshoot and roll back the PC to an earlier patch version (all these monthly updates, eventually screw things up).
Clear out all your cookies.
Check your network connection properties. Is the DNS lookup auto (default) or are they set to specific sites, try changing the latter, and have a look to on any router if you have that other than default.
Always worth doing a complete virus scan, but with a different av to your usual one. I often temporarily download malwarebytes, and delete it afterwards. But if using your own av then make sure windows did disable it's inbuilt defender thing or the two may be fighting each other. If you had a previous av make sure it was fully removed - sometimes you need that av providers special utilities to do it reliably.
Also try checking your registry for all the unwanted stuff, left behind by software - I often use ccleaner again temporary install.
Thanks I'll try that

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try rebooting your router

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
try rebooting your router
I've done that and it did have a fault. Got virgin out to fix it. But the PC is strange it has the same fault on ethernet and wifi even when I use my phone as a hot spot

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry, I cant recall the exact method, but you need to reset how your computer accesses the internet

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try this

Clear your DNS cache and reset your IP
  1. Type cmd in the search box from the Start menu. Then right-click on Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
    img_5a1298fb8c2d7.png

Note: Click Yes when prompted by the User Account Control.
  2. On the open black window, type the following commands and press Enter after each. ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Or....Wifi connection. Click on it and open it. Look for advanced and click. Look for TCP/ip and open Renew DHCp lease click and wait for it to go blank.
Re open the internet application through windows and that should start you off again. It is a wifi renewal of lease but should help. If not..shut down and wait til the system closes entirely. Press start / open and when it comes up..Press F2 or F4 . F2 Opens up the system to allow you to start in safe mode. F4 allows you to reboot the entire system and restart the windows application from a point you seem to think is appropriate. Either from a particular file or cd application

kev

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
When did it first start happening and what did u do just before it started playing up?
Have u tried running network diagnostics from the control panel?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks everyone. I'll try tomorrow

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When did it first start happening and what did u do just before it started playing up?
Have u tried running network diagnostics from the control panel?
Yes I've done all the basic stuff

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Try this

Clear your DNS cache and reset your IP
  1. Type cmd in the search box from the Start menu. Then right-click on Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
    img_5a1298fb8c2d7.png

Note: Click Yes when prompted by the User Account Control.
  2. On the open black window, type the following commands and press Enter after each. ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

I've done this and it made no difference. It won't let me turn windows back because it has updated since the problem started. I think I'm going to have to do a full windows reset. I was trying to avoid this but I can see no other option now. I'll keep going like this for now and do a full reinstall when I have the time, probably next week.

Thank you everyone for the advise.

John

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I gave in today and did a full window re-install. It had got so bad that it became unusable, I tried everything changed the firewall and the anti virus. Even tried turning them off for a bit. Disconnected the Ethernet and used WiFi, still the same. So went for the nuclear option, it's taken a while to rebuild all the apps etc. but finger crossed it is working now.

Thank you to everyone who offered help.

John

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I had the same trouble with mine and did a full reinstall which made it better for a while last week it was just as bad again so I decided to use Google Chrome browser and it is now much better although not holding my breath.
I will probably end up scrapping it and get a new one.???

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had the same trouble with mine and did a full reinstall which made it better for a while last week it was just as bad again so I decided to use Google Chrome browser and it is now much better although not holding my breath.
I will probably end up scrapping it and get a new one.???
I normally use Chrome I tried switching it with several others but it made no difference. Good luck

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Now the computer is working as it should I am putting stuff back on, I just noticed an advice report about IBM Trusteer Rapport. It can cause the problem I was having. See Broken Link Removed

I won't put this back now, wonder if that was the problem all along. If anyone else is having a similar problem try removing trusteer and see if it helps.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I just keep refusing to install it every time I log into bank. Not had a problem with internet but that could be purely coincidental.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Now the computer is working as it should I am putting stuff back on, I just noticed an advice report about IBM Trusteer Rapport. It can cause the problem I was having. See Broken Link Removed

I won't put this back now, wonder if that was the problem all along. If anyone else is having a similar problem try removing trusteer and see if it helps.
Now that’s what I have on mine I will uninstall and see if it helps.thanks for the info

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back