Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi we are getting our 18 year old LHD Frankia A class to go out for a trip.We are very much newbies at motor homing, but I am good at sewing etc (Snow and leaves on our mountain track stopped us up to now after our January slide to the edge on slippery leaves......):Sad:
We have a problem with a blind in the rear U shaped lounge offside side window blind. It is in two parts; the top bit that pulls down is a fly screen ; it clips to the plastic blind which pulls up from below.
The blind material is a textured hard plastic which,after a lifetime's use, is a bit crackly and stiff to pull up.
1. Is it possible for a DIYer to replace this material with fresh blind material?
2 How do you get at the fixings below the tension spring the roller etc ?
3 It's irritating to have the blind not working, but would it be better to leave well alone. A dealer would probably charge the earth to do this?
Many thanks for any advice.

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
hello

The roller type blinds are relatively easy to repair, once the blind is removed from the wall you can the remove the roller from the case, there will be a spring on one end so you will have to be careful with this as it will be under tension.

once you have the roller out you can unwind the canvas and the slide it out of the roller, new material is available which you cut to size the slide it back into the roller, retension the spring and refit the blind.

Sometimes you find you have to remove the spring there is no trick to this it simply slides out of the roller.

It is a medium task process which will take an hour or so

regards

nick

good luck

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Nick for your help.
I've replaced blinds in the house before so that part isn't worrying me. I just can't figure out how to extract the roller blind from inside the wall underneath the window:Doh:.
As the blind unwinds from inside the wall and lifts upwards, do I pull the blind material up to the top of the window then push the roller to one side and yank it out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
without seeing the way the blind is fixed to the wall it would be difficult to say how it comes apart but yanking it out I would not recommend :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've been out in the solid Welsh rain to see hoe it is attached. There is a plastic frame around the window which I imagine might have to come off to allow access to the blind fixings. But I'm not sure. Than you, Nick, for your help. It is obviously not as simple as I thought.:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the blinds are usualy attached to the frame,after removing the frame undo the 2 v/small possi screws from the round end leaving the sq end in situ then you can angle it up and pull it out replacing your net then reasemble going backwards if you get my drift.Once you put the sq end in place this is when you tension the blind-twirling around say 10 to 15 times then fasten the round end back down.This is very much trial & error::bigsmile::thumb: but a good idea is to twirl the opposite way you would think to tension the blind as I always twirl it the wrong way first:ROFLMAO::Eeek:Simple after you have done 1 v/confuseing the first time:Doh::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi staging lady
You may be as well to think about replacing the unit. The frame needs to come off to get at the blind assembly anyway, and there are usually some like Link Removed and Link Removed on ebay. Just check the sizes etc. There is also a shop just outside Hull (IIRC) Olearies??? that may be able to help you out??? If you are planning to go to the Peterboro show, there will no doubt be a couple of traders that will sell you new / used blinds and then you can fit them while you are on site :thumb:
Hope this helps

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back