Help please - Spain, washing stations with raised walkways to do roof (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just arrived Bilbao off Cap Finistere and out of what seemed like hundreds on MH, guess where we were placed? Yes out the back.
After my complaint that we couldn’t even see out of the windscreen to move off, the deckhand gave us a cursory wash with a hose and later we stopped in a parking area that had a tap and chucked litre jugs of water over the sides.
We don’t carry a hose because a PVC without a garage.
We can see from looking up at the roof lights that there are salt crystals all over but cannot think how to wash off. Very frustrating as we got stepladder out at home on Tuesday and gave all a good wash.
I have seen reports of some supermarkets with raised platforms to help wash high sided vehicles.
Can anyone remember the supermarket chain and was it Spain or France?

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Just arrived Bilbao off Cap Finistere and out of what seemed like hundreds on MH, guess where we were placed? Yes out the back.
After my complaint that we couldn’t even see out of the windscreen to move off, the deckhand gave us a cursory wash with a hose and later we stopped in a parking area that had a tap and chucked litre jugs of water over the sides.
We don’t carry a hose because a PVC without a garage.
We can see from looking up at the roof lights that there are salt crystals all over but cannot think how to wash off. Very frustrating as we got stepladder out at home on Tuesday and gave all a good wash.
I have seen reports of some supermarkets with raised platforms to help wash high sided vehicles.
Can anyone remember the supermarket chain and was it Spain or France?

Which way you heading.
Some repsol garages have them

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have seen them in France with the high platform so you can wash the roof, not seen any in this country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Thereare definitely some in Spain and some campsites also provide those facilities....Benicassim springs to mind..it has 2 wash stations for motorhomes and we have seen several garages with ladder type systems to wash motorhomes in the south of Spain.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Villasol in Benidorm has one but you will exchange the salt for a nice coat of limescale. Had exactly the same experience with our panel van.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
There is a beauty down in Bosham, in fact it is a complete gantry so that you can walk above the roof and just keep edging the vehicle forward, not much use to you @Riverbankannie but of course you could always pop across there when you disembark at this end,

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It may be worthwhile carrying a long handled wash brush with a hose fitting, as many Spanish paid Aires have a hose available and with a brush you should be able to clean the topmost corners of your van (or Double Decker bus if you have one).:whistle2:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I will not travel this route because of this problem. I raised hell at the reception desk but they have heard it all before, they promise the van will be washed off with clean water as they dock! fat chance . we stayed in the lounge to check and no one washed the vans. After many calls to Brittany ferries we received a £50 voucher which we used on the St Malo. Its not on to Pay approx. £550 to be used as deck cargo, Ask for a refund

Last edited:
OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Which way you heading.
Some repsol garages have them
We passed a Repsol with wash stations and turned off main road to get to it. We decided against it as it was pressure hose and it didnt have a raised platform so I don’t think we could easily wash the roof.

I know where there is one in Cartagena, if you are heading that way.
Currently at Elephant aire and heading for Llanes tomorrow then probably across to Burgos if roads ok, then a meander around until travelling across to Villanova or thereabouts, then back up coast.

It may be worthwhile carrying a long handled wash brush with a hose fitting, as many Spanish paid Aires have a hose available and with a brush you should be able to clean the topmost corners of your van (or Double Decker bus if you have one).:whistle2:
We use one at home but normally the little space under rear lounge accessible from the back door is completely filled with 2 Bromptons. This time however completely filled with 2 golf sets in hope of a few rounds!

I will not travel this route because of this problem. I raised hell at the reception desk but they have heard it all before, they promise the van will be washed off with clean water as they dock! fat chance . we stayed in the lounge to check and no one washed the vans. After many calls to Brittany ferries we received a £50 voucher which we used on the St Malo. Its noy on to Pay approx. £550 to be used as deck cargo, Ask for a refund

I intend to ring up tomorrow and make my voice heard. We do not have a return booking as plan A was to use our last frequent tunnel ticket for return, however, apart from the salt issue, it was a pleasant journey and so we are considering returning and a voucher could be used (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Deffo one at the garage next to Lidl in Nerja very easy to find off the main drag through town two minutes off the M/way.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Deffo one at the garage next to Lidl in Nerja very easy to find off the main drag through town two minutes off the M/way.
Like Totana, Nerja a bit of a detour to get a wash but thanks anyway.

We will keeps eyes open for larger MH parked up near us and ask if they have a step ladder as I know many carry them. At least we could chuck a few buckets of water over the top (y).

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hang in there until tomorrow and nature will do it for you ...rain due in Llanes tomorrow ....

https://www.eltiempo.es/llanes.html?q=llanes
I looked on Ventusky earlier but didn’t spot rain.
We were going to try the municipal golf course there for a starter as we haven’t been able to play for a few months.

Golf or van wash?? Which would I prefer? :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thereare definitely some in Spain and some campsites also provide those facilities....Benicassim springs to mind..it has 2 wash stations for motorhomes and we have seen several garages with ladder type systems to wash motorhomes in the south of Spain.

You can borrow excellent step ladders in Benicasim at Bonterra Park,, BUSBY.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Like Totana, Nerja a bit of a detour to get a wash but thanks anyway.

We will keeps eyes open for larger MH parked up near us and ask if they have a step ladder as I know many carry them. At least we could chuck a few buckets of water over the top (y).
Yes that's an idea, soft brush from Chinese shop wouldn't cost much either.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
There is a Camperstop outside Aguilera, in the Mercia region that has one you can access... just make sure that you get to it before the Germans.. they take forever to wash and brush their motorhomes.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You can borrow excellent step ladders in Benicasim at Bonterra Park,, BUSBY.
That's if you can get in there. We had enough trouble trying to get in in Altea where we are now, I was thinking of not even trying Benicasim.
And by the way, do avoid leaning ladders on the top rounded section if it's a pvc. It looks nice and firm and strong metal, and fine at the time, but when you have finished cleaning and look up, you can see little creases on the top edge. They don't go away!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There was one at the gas/fuel staion at Aguillas where we stayed at the site behind, it was big too and there was a bloke with liner type doing his roof with the long attachment they had fitted up there.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We decided against it as it was pressure hose and it didnt have a raised platform so I don’t think we could easily wash the roof.
Nothing wrong with a pressure hose and it would wash the roof from ground level. Just stand further back than you would with a hose. A pressure washer used at a few feet (say 6 feet) away is incredibly wetting and would be the best way of clearing the salt.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Popeyes you said there was a beauty with a gantry in Bosham can you tell us where as we would be very interested in trying it out. Thanks.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
There was one at the gas/fuel staion at Aguillas where we stayed at the site behind, it was big too and there was a bloke with liner type doing his roof with the long attachment they had fitted up there.
We’ve just spent a week there ourselves, and used that washing station. Stand well back, if you use it. It nearly knocked me off my feet :eek: ! It’s a good place to stay, and the weather is lovely :D. I think we’ll probably be back there in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you everyone who replied to this thread.
All plans now changed, we like doing that.!
We are cancelling our return through France and spending all our holiday in Spain. Apart from the salty van, we enjoyed the crossing, so having wrung a £50 voucher (thanks @Portland) from Brittany Ferries this morning :dance2: and using a friend and family discount, we have booked a Pont Aven back on 2nd April.

So we have changed our route and now moving south towards Madrid and we might even make it to Totana:sun: @jumartoo . Any golf near you?

Bonus is, it’s rained all day travelling across through Burgos.
It can stop now, please, thank you very much:whistle:

The Brittany Ferries lady firstly implied it was my fault for booking a very where it says some may be parked on open deck, then she offered to refund a produced receipt from a Repsol type auto wash, then she offered £30 and I managed to push it it to £50.
I don’t understand why they don’t have a proper washing station at the terminals, surely it would help with all the complaints.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
There is a beauty down in Bosham, in fact it is a complete gantry so that you can walk above the roof and just keep edging the vehicle forward, not much use to you @Riverbankannie but of course you could always pop across there when you disembark at this end,

:) Shall be in that area soon and my roof needs a good clean so where is this wash exactly?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I personally wouldn't put a pressure washer anywhere near my motorhome ...but opinions vary.

Prefer to wash by hand even if it's harder work its less abuse on delicate seals not to mention vents etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back