Help Please. Sat Nav just died on way to ferry! (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Can anyone help please. We are on our way to Portsmouth for a ferry tonight. Our previously very faithful Tom Tom go, the caravan version has appeared to die on me. I have done a reset but it won’t play. Occasionally I do get it to come on past the opening battery screen but it soon dies again. I suspect new battery needed but although I did get a spare I think I have left this at home. So unless I can get a repair or buy a new one near the docks at Portsmouth we are stuck! If I can’t get it working can anyone suggest the best on line one or an app. I have heard Co Pilot is OK that I can quickly download and use for our trip through France to Spain. Thanks.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Here we go downloads to work offline free.Have it as back up to Google maps. You can also dowload areas on Google maps which will then work offline and not use data.
John

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Co-Pilot is good (paid caravan version very good), if not Google Maps is excellent and has very up to date traffic info.

These are the two I use

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Google maps is excellent, or as you say, copilot. Maps.me is another.
Are you running TomTom off charger ?
My battery died a long time ago so it now only works when plugged in.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Download CoPilot, caravan version if you have a "big rig"

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Madmag. On my previous two TomTom Go models, I always had to have it plugged in, as the batteries didn't last more than a few minutes, and it is the same with my current NozaTec Sat Nav.

I did have similar problems to yourself, and found that the 12v charging lead was vibrating loose in the Fiat lighter socket, thereby losing power, but I over came that by gently expanding the the terminals on the plug wider, to make a good contact. It worked.

Good luck. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Where abouts are you at present, as your welcome to borrow my TomTom caravan if your passing my way.
I'm located on the A14 near the junction with the A1
Super offer thanks but just in the car park more commonly known as the M6 junctions 16-19!!

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for replies. I am running it off it’s cable into the 12 v socket of the cab. We used it yesterday in the car and it did the same so when I got home I had it on charge on a usb socket on mains so thought it would be fully charged. Argos have one at their store near Portsmouth if I get desperate but about £375 so lot more than a battery replacement or app would be. Have it turned off but on charge at minute. Kicking myself for not bringing battery with me but I wouldn’t have been able to change it myself I don’t think.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Me again!! Well it definitely seems to be a battery or other fault with Tom Tom so I am going to forget it for now.
Decided it will be a download. Couple of questions lease. On the app the reviews for CoPilot caravan are not good so what is the truth for those who use it. Also is the caravan one better than the truck one. We have a 7.4m van Sygic also do a couple with a truck version. So which is best and how much data do they use when travelling. Thanks again

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Here you go..….
618aTMIROTL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The copilot caravan seems excellent and at £50, which once bought you can use on multiple devices. It has mapping for the whole of Europe and updates included. I have found it excellent. It can use tomtom poi files with a bit of fiddling too.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If your mobile, have you got enough data to dowload the Copilot app and maps.

We have been using Copilot for a year or so now and found it to be the best we have used yet.
We keep the TomTom caravan satnav on the van as a backup in case Copilot goes tits up.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Copilot app works ok. Not great to use but does what it needs and is very stable (doesn’t crash/freeze). I’d get the caravan version, as that will do all you need and allow you to add your weight, size and preferences over types of road. It does take a bit of fiddling to get used to it, but once sorted works well. I use to show me my speed in kms whilst driving and that can all be personalised to you.

Do rember that you will need to download app, and the maps. It will also eat your battery on your phone while in use, so make sure you’ve got 12v phone charger with you.

Andy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Co-Pilot is great. But these days I’m using it less as Apple Maps and directions really are superb Only good when you have a data connection though, without the data. it’s back to copilot yy

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
With CoPilot, after downloading the App you need to download the appropriate maps - UK & Ireland is 0.5 Gb, France is 0.6Gb, Eastern Europe is 1.4Gb and all Europe is 3.83Gb

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone help please. We are on our way to Portsmouth for a ferry tonight. Our previously very faithful Tom Tom go, the caravan version has appeared to die on me. I have done a reset but it won’t play. Occasionally I do get it to come on past the opening battery screen but it soon dies again. I suspect new battery needed but although I did get a spare I think I have left this at home. So unless I can get a repair or buy a new one near the docks at Portsmouth we are stuck! If I can’t get it working can anyone suggest the best on line one or an app. I have heard Co Pilot is OK that I can quickly download and use for our trip through France to Spain. Thanks.
Co Pilot is brilliant. We gave upon our sat nav when we got it. :xThumb:

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the info. May just have to bite the bullet with CoPilot have enough data available. And yes I have paper maps which I use all the time so it’s just a case of a back up or planner. I like the fact you get an ongoing record of eta and speed.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
In fact having read all your replies I am now feeling “chilled” about it all!! Thanks

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
We use both when we can too ,I find a map easier for a quick overview rather than trying to scroll in and out.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Co-Pilot is great. But these days I’m using it less as Apple Maps and directions really are superb Only good when you have a data connection though, without the data. it’s back to copilot (y)
Oh dear.....Google maps can download areas and navigate offline. If you're going where the Internet is slow, mobile data is expensive, or you can't get online, you can save an area from Google Maps to your phone or tablet and use it when you're offline.:xwink:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Oh dear.....Google maps can download areas and navigate offline. If you're going where the Internet is slow, mobile data is expensive, or you can't get online, you can save an area from Google Maps to your phone or tablet and use it when you're offline.:xwink:

As you can with Apple. Hardly convenient though when you already have the whole of Europe downloaded in Copilot.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Madmag

Even if your TomTom internal battery if flat, the device should still work if plugged into a 12v power supply using the usual adaptor. Asdoing this appears not to have resolved your problem, you tried the next obvious thing to do - resetting the device. By this I presume you mean a standard reset i.e. holding the power button on for 30 seconds or so until you hear the "Drum Roll" - obviously doing this whilst plugged into your 12v supply in case the internal battery is indeed flat. As this seems not to have solved your problem, it may be worth trying a "hard" or "factory" reset. To do this , firstly remove any SD card if installed, using an opened-up paper clip locate the small hole (usually on the bottom edge of the device) and insert it to depress the reset contact inside, holding it for 20+ seconds or so. This should completely reset the device, but you will loose any data you have previously stored e.g. "Favourites" and you will almost certainly need to do a map update in the usual way using TomTom's "MyDrive Connect" App on your PC/Mac.

Good luck. Hope this may help. If not it is either a repair job, or if not a recent model, time to replace.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes. Done the drum roll reset. Have a green light on top of device when plugged in. Usually I am only seeing the red battery page but occasionally do get further but then it stalls and eventually turns itself off. I have looked and cannot see anything that resembles a reset button on it. Yes oldish device. It’s one of the original Go 1000 I think for campers and caravans.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
To reset the TomTom Go 1000 series, with power to the device you press and hold down the on/off button until you hear the drum roll sound. This can take up to 30 seconds or more. :xThumb:

Edit : Sorry totally missed that you have done the drum roll reset in you previous post . :xdoh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes done that a couple of times thanks but no different. Think it needs something more drastic!

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry - not familiar with that model. Just looked at my more recent TomTom and it does not have a small aperture to use for resetting either! My old one did. From a quick look on-line, I suspect it may be possible to do a factory reset when your TomTom is connected to your computer, but this looks to be not straightforward and not something about which I have any real understanding. Sorry not to be able to help further.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back