Help Please - Ruined paintwork on new van with dry wash & wax (2 Viewers)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks, Charlie, no pics ,sorry, I think it's self-coloured abs, as it's the front panel of a Swift caravan. I think it is just quite bad road film as the back and sides are "as new" when cleaned, but the front is just dull. As I previously said I have done just a small area with Tcut and it has come up much better, but don't want to cause any long lasting problems.
I will try the AG SRP you suggest and see how it goes, do you know if Halfrauds sell it?
Cheers, Dave(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
No matter what you say folks will still damage their van with brasso, Tcut and TFR.
For some reason spending £1000k on a van is ok, but spending £20 on the correct cleaner / polish etc isn't acceptable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No matter what you say folks will still damage their van with brasso, Tcut and TFR.
For some reason spending £1000k on a van is ok, but spending £20 on the correct cleaner / polish etc isn't acceptable.

Sadly you are correct. But this is the only MH forum with a detailing section so at least here we can try and help people with half decent information. That said I am only on two forums this one and the Auto Sleepers owners forum. Most of the time on the AS forum I get scolded for saying anything about Tcut or whatever cos the members have been using it for years ! How can anything be better I mean they have been using it since a certain Henry Ford introduced the horseless carriage ? Needless to say I don't bother commenting there on anything detailing related.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
To be fair to us we only know what we can buy in Halford so having expert help here is great.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
To be fair to us we only know what we can buy in Halford so having expert help here is great.
You can't blame Halfrauds :). They now stock an extremely comprehensive range of polish and wax, not the cheapest but you will be hard pushed to find Tcut in there now

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thanks, Charlie, no pics ,sorry, I think it's self-coloured abs, as it's the front panel of a Swift caravan. I think it is just quite bad road film as the back and sides are "as new" when cleaned, but the front is just dull. As I previously said I have done just a small area with Tcut and it has come up much better, but don't want to cause any long lasting problems.
I will try the AG SRP you suggest and see how it goes, do you know if Halfrauds sell it?
Cheers, Dave(y)
I asked for advice from Swift re discoloured plastic side skirt extrusion. I was told if it was discoloured ( uv damage) it would need replaced. My van was2 1/2 years old.

If there was a way to restore it i'm sure they would have pointed me in the right direction.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As it happens I was valeting a Swift caravan today and yes the front panel was dull and the sides were quite shiney. Not sure if it's the same as davejen's but the sides are aluminium so would not suffer the same as the front (GRP). I gave the front a polish and although not as good as new it was a vast improvement.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Don't rely on manufacturers giving correct advice unless they benefit from it

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I asked for advice from Swift re discoloured plastic side skirt extrusion. I was told if it was discoloured ( uv damage) it would need replaced. My van was2 1/2 years old.

If there was a way to restore it i'm sure they would have pointed me in the right direction.
Hi, Bobby22, When I've done the job will let you know how I get on.
Cheers, Dave(y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Bobby 22, I've done the 'van front with Autoglym super resin as advised by Charlie.
Here is a pic (hopefully!) in the foreground it hasn't been polished, but you can see from the second window a "line" between the polished and not. Just done with a microfibre cloth and a bit of elbow grease(mine, not the product of the same name!) Iwould imagine if done with a machine it would be even better.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Attachments

• SAM_0281.JPG
    SAM_0281.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 103

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It looks as though you've cracked it dave.

Someone else can have a go at mine....its away

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Being a simple bloke, I am of the opinion that if I want to wash something, it is going to involve getting it wet...

JJ :cool:
Hmmm! I couldn't have agreed more until last week,pulled into a multi-storey car park in my brides car and noticed a car wash! Asked how much is a shampoo & polish £18 I thought so us a lot but heyho I get into the good books,and then I asked how can you polish it when it's going to have wet seeping out even after leathering, he says we don't use water Whooo! Anyway in for a penny in for £18 and went for it.
Returned a couple of hours later and it looked absolutely brilliant,it had a shine and it's still shining. I don't know what they used but wouldn't hesitate in going back again.

derek chilton

Free Member
Feb 5, 2017
leigh on sea
Funster No
MH
timberland renault
Exp
14 years
im no cheap jack but the best car or van wash i use is the pink coloured fro the £ shop my van shines like atanner up a sweeps ass just 2 capfulls and wash off and leather it off quick job done delboy just did not fancy dry cleaners

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
My new van
Hi, Bobby 22, I've done the 'van front with Autoglym super resin as advised by Charlie.
Here is a pic (hopefully!) in the foreground it hasn't been polished, but you can see from the second window a "line" between the polished and not. Just done with a microfibre cloth and a bit of elbow grease(mine, not the product of the same name!) Iwould imagine if done with a machine it would be even better.
Cheers, Dave(y)
Hi Dave just reading through the manual of my van and it give a warning not to apply wax to the habitation areas as they are polyester and ABS.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
View attachment 148659 My new van

Hi Dave just reading through the manual of my van and it give a warning not to apply wax to the habitation areas as they are polyester and ABS.
Hi, Bobby22, Not bothered now- sold the van!!!!!
Cheers, Dave:LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back