Help Please, re Oyster setup (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
OP says Oyster control says "Turn on Receiver" That means its found a sat, and if the search sat is Astra2 its locked on to Astra 2. =Oyster system is working fine.

If the OP is using the TV inbuilt sat decoder it should automatically be on when the TV is on......so wouldn't show message "turn on receiver". I only get that message when I'm using my stand-alone sky box and forget to turn it on.

Perhaps the OP should check the integrity of the coaxial cable connected to the TV.

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Basically your tv is not supplying power out on the coax. The Oyster box searches for the satellite with its own built in power then when locked on turns that power off. That is why it says turn receiver on. You need to have LNB power on in your settings but even if it is on it does not mean your cable from the tv to the oyster box is not at fault. The easiest way to test is disconnect it from the oyster box as all that side is fine and has done its bit. If you have a multi metre check the coax has voltage if not and the LNB power is set on try another coax lead.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The Co_ax should have:- 18 volts for the Horizontal waveform and 14 volts for the vertical waveform.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
I have not had chance to do anything today,
so not spoke to oyster
but to try and answer a few points,
coax is new and 1 length,(but will test with meter as suggested)
which gives another problem, I get no screen anywhere that shows LNB power or an off/on switch
the tv is a Cello 2420fs so if anybody has one they may know,

Thanks again all keep it coming

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
PeteH I thought it would just show 1 voltage ie center pin to earth, now you do have me confused,????

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I had a similar problem , l found the LNB went off don't know why ,had a Jo b finding it in Settings, it was in the gear/ cog in Settings, but it was not until I arrowed down to "More " that I found it Off clicked On , and it was the problem

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3:

well it turns out the new coax is boll++ks(Chinese rubbish)

so thank you all for the input, at least I have a better understanding of how it all works, old dog new tricks;);)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
:thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3:

well it turns out the new coax is boll++ks(Chinese rubbish)

so thank you all for the input, at least I have a better understanding of how it all works, old dog new tricks;);)
Glad to see that you are sorted Al. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
What a relief for you as well as us following the thread. I think we have all been there at some stage re Satellite systems, i have a story to tell but a bit long, of similar situation.
Well done all solved.:dance2:

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
took the van out the other day to fill up and gas,
parked up as usual, went into yesterday and checked the systems,
got to the satellite and back to no signal problem again,
well it turned out to be the coax yet again, so went to local tv shop and got a decent coax(not cheap) spent rest of day running it through,
this morning went and finished off and ran test, I appear to be missing channels, mainly anything to do with ch4, more 4, 4 seven, and sky news, and probably a load of others,

is this a sign of a re-tune needed for the dish,Anthony OysterTech or have I another issue,??

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Al-Di,

Missing channels on the system would normally point to the LNB not functioning correctly.
Because the LNB is voltage switched by the receiver depending on what channel it requires it's entirely possible that the LNB have a part fault which would result in the loss of certain channels only.

If you are using an old Sky box then these can develop software glitches on older software and may require a forced update. Instuctions for which are here: https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/diy-...- Press and hold the,appears on the TV screen.

Alternatively if you are using a simple free to air receiver then these don't always auto update when changes are made to the broadcast signal. Normally you wouldn't find a great deal of channels missing if it was this but it could be. To rule it out most FTA set top boxes have a "blind scan" function that will take longer than a normal scan but any changes to the frequencies should be accounted for.

Hope this helps,

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
using a new cello tv with inbuilt sat receiver,

is there a way to test lnb,
thanks,

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi again,

Sorry about the late replies however we're still on part time here and I always forget to check this at home.
Best thing to do would be to try certain channels and see if they work to try and find a pattern. It might just be the frequencies in the TV are out of date but try these channels and see what you get.

Vertical low: ITV4+1 (SD), ITV3 (SD), ITV3 +1 (SD), More4 (SD)
Horizontal low: Film4 (SD), More4 +1 (SD), ITV2 +1 (SD), Channel5 (HD)
Vertical high: Dave (SD), Drama (SD), Challenge (SD), Yesterday (SD)
Horizontal high: Pick TV (SD), Pick TV+1 (SD), Sky News (SD), Forces TV (SD)

SD= Standard def HD= High Def

Some of these channels may have been moved since the receiver was last scanned so if you are receiving at least one of these from each then the LNB is working ok.

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
right have fitted new lnb,Anthony OysterTech
just the same??

Vertical low: ITV4+1 (SD), ITV3 (SD), ITV3 +1 (SD), More4 (SD) None of these
Horizontal low: Film4 (SD), More4 +1 (SD), ITV2 +1 (SD), Channel5 (HD) last 2 here
Vertical high: Dave (SD), Drama (SD), Challenge (SD), Yesterday (SD) None of these
Horizontal high: Pick TV (SD), Pick TV+1 (SD), Sky News (SD), Forces TV (SD) None of these

and there a loads of others, plus I seem to have bleed over from some channels with no volume but there volume on another channel

example, men&motors = asian quoran readings, Hochanda france 24 news

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hmmmmmmmm

Right, on the Cello TV there should be an option to either delete the whole channel list or at least an option to restore it to factory settings. We need to do this first to get rid of the old channels. Next we need to do a channel scan but not a normal one. There should be an option in the channel search menu to do a "blind scan" which will download all it sees. I know it's an ask but if you can figure out how to do this and then check those channels again it will help. I actually think the channels are your whole problem. Once the information stored in the TV is correct I think everything will work.

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Ok will see what I can do, and report back,

thanks for taking the time to help,(y)

OP
OP
Al-Di

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Anthony OysterTech

ok reset everything, managed to find out how to do a blind scan,
over 1000 channels tv/music/ etc,

Vertical low: ITV4+1 (SD), ITV3 (SD), ITV3 +1 (SD), More4 (SD) got all these
Horizontal low: Film4 (SD), More4 +1 (SD), ITV2 +1 (SD), Channel5 (HD) got all these
Vertical high: Dave (SD), Drama (SD), Challenge (SD), Yesterday (SD) all except yesterday
Horizontal high: Pick TV (SD), Pick TV+1 (SD), Sky News (SD), Forces TV (SD) all except forces tv

they are not in groups like above but all over the place, I couldnt find forces tv but may have missed it although i went down list twice, there are also some channels that say one thing and show something totally diffrent, ie motorstv has punjab religion, I get nothing on any cbs channel, smithsionian only on +1

over to you again,
Alan,

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Alan,

Marvellous!!
Unfortunately free to air receivers like yours don't have a set channel list structure so that's why they are all over the place (it downloads channels as it see them). Also, because the TV was obviously set up quite a few years ago, it would seem that some of the channels have kept the old designations. You can edit the stations into an order that works for you or set up a favourites list that contains the channels you watch most frequently however to have them in the Freesat or Sky orders would require you to have their set top box.
1000 channels is also a lot so I would assume that the set has downloaded both free to air and encrypted services. You should be able to alter the search to scan free to air services only which would remove over half of what you've got now but I'm afraid that the only thing I can suggest re the wrong channel names is that the TV may require an update. The channels you're missing are probably there too but just under different names in the list. Sorry to say that, with the TV being one I'm not all that familiar with, I'm just about at the limit of what I can help with. The good news though is that everything seems to be working as it should so I don't think you've got an issue with the system at all.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
My Sniper TV (like the sat receiver I use in house) downloads the channels as it sees them on a scan.... I set up a favourites list or reorder to my preference...... the Sniper as common with Free to Air units.....has a Network scan(just downloads the FreeSat channels and in order on the UK footprint) a Blind Scan or General Scan....Blind checks all the transponders old and new and grabs the channels... General gets all the channels on the 28 footprints.... I have some channels on mine which are on the EU footprint
I'm on a Snipe 3 dish

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back