Help please cam belt 1991 Ducato 2.5 non turbo (1 Viewer)

Tuppz

Free Member
Jan 7, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Hi all,I would first like to say hello to everybody,I'm a newbie and this is my first post,
I have a hymer camp on a 1991 reg,it's the 2.5d ..I've had it a few months and have been sorting it out,she's old but clean and runs lovely,
I have even done the nye on impossible task of adding power steering to a left hooker!(managed to source a left hand power steering rack and with a few mods and a pug 104 pump tucked away)lovely But that's another story, I was due to go away last week and I thought do the sensible thing and get the cam belt done,water pump and service,now my mechanics cannot get a correct timing belt for it,they have tried numerous belts and none fit,I'm now a week late going on my adventures,I picked it back up today with the old belt being put back on it!and the worst of it is he's said the belts worn and needs doing asap, but they can't find a correct belt and could I?...so here I am, the belts..152 tooth ,30 mm w it seems to be that the pitch on the teeth on all belts tried were wrong,we need flat square teeth was the way the mechanic described it, thanks for taking the time to read this,sorry ifs its in the wrong place,regards tuppz

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi and welcome to the forum

The guy I think you need a response from is @billthedrill

I don't think there is anyone on the forum who knows more about them (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi and welcome to the forum what is the engine no PM me is it the soften engine 8140 or 8142.
is it a TD or none turbo
you will find that it is a 1990 engine this puts you in the 1989/1990 as the base chesses would have ben earlier than the build as at that time the decato 1991 was a improved version moving away from the mark 1 mark 2 it has thrown a lot of people
if you contact costal motorhomes they will confirm watt I have told you ask for nick
http://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk
good luck bill
PS pay your subs to the best motorhome forum in the world (probably)
it will save you a fortune
PM on the way
bill

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just checked it is 152 teeth have you changed the cam follower if so check thay are the right diameter as I had problem with a cam belt set that the follower were 2mm bigger and could not get the Belt on caused me all sorts of problems
bill

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi all,I would first like to say hello to everybody,I'm a newbie and this is my first post,
I have a hymer camp on a 1991 reg,it's the 2.5d ..I've had it a few months and have been sorting it out,she's old but clean and runs lovely,
I have even done the nye on impossible task of adding power steering to a left hooker!(managed to source a left hand power steering rack and with a few mods and a pug 104 pump tucked away)lovely But that's another story, I was due to go away last week and I thought do the sensible thing and get the cam belt done,water pump and service,now my mechanics cannot get a correct timing belt for it,they have tried numerous belts and none fit,I'm now a week late going on my adventures,I picked it back up today with the old belt being put back on it!and the worst of it is he's said the belts worn and needs doing asap, but they can't find a correct belt and could I?...so here I am, the belts..152 tooth ,30 mm w it seems to be that the pitch on the teeth on all belts tried were wrong,we need flat square teeth was the way the mechanic described it, thanks for taking the time to read this,sorry ifs its in the wrong place,regards tuppz
Type EPER into Google. That will bring you to the agents main parts data base. You will be asked for your VIN number. Enter your engine number as well, (if you have it). If you don't, it will tell you the engine number that your truck was fitted with when new. That will bring you to a set of schematics for your vehicle. Select engine, then cam belt. Some engines were fitted with a system that required the water pump to be changed when the belt was, whilst others don't. My Camp 64 engine didn't require the pump change. (y)

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just done some checking. It seems that if your engine is the 2.5 TD, then the original belt part number was 7303414. That was substituted in 2003 by part number 500323627, but you will have to check your own engine number on EPER to confirm that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tuppz

Tuppz

Free Member
Jan 7, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Thanks tootles,mine is non turbo,engine code 8144.67 it seems like all the belts the suppliers keep sending just don't fit,it's like the teeth are to rounded, and I need flat square, it's obviously easy for the garage to get belts sent out,and when wrong they can just send them back, but now I've got it back it's harder for me to order and try different belts on a whim,

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I changed a belt for a friend's MH over Xmas. Belt shown was wrong as it had 152 teeth, his engine was the previous one with a mechanical fuel pump which has 154 teeth.
I managed to photograph the belt for return moments before it went back.
You can see 152 teeth and 30mm width, also Gates part number, is the profile for the teeth correct?
I would not expect the teeth be square, they are more often as shown.
Is this helpful ??
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think I know what tuppz means by square teeth.

A belt cant have proper square teeth, when the belt is in radius round a pulley the teeth wont fit as the tooth leading and trailing edges are closer together than the tooth base....ie: inverted taper.

What is meant is flat topped teeth with bevelled leading and trailing edges ad opposed to a much newer type semi circular tooth.

If im correct there are loads on ebay for that 8144.67 engine code.
The engine code appears to be 1988 to 1993

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I know some now are actually rounded, however, if you look carefully at the pictures these are more like you describe. Just hoped it may help along with part number.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know some now are actually rounded, however, if you look carefully at the pictures these are more like you describe. Just hoped it may help along with part number.
Agreed larby, exactly what I mean.
My post wasnt directed at yours as I jumped a number of posts to post mine.
Apologies if it appeared so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tuppz

Tuppz

Free Member
Jan 7, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Hi thanks larby,the gates belt I tried is the same,but it don't fit
My mechanic didn't like the amount of movement between the teeth and when he tried to fit it no joy,the teeth on the gates are different to the old belt,

Cheers pappajohn, that is what I meant
I can't understand why my local garage pals can't get one, they have tried but all wrong,

image.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Ok thanks. How did the Gates one look in direct comparison to the old one. As Pappajohn explained, some are rounded but the Gates one is about as square as you will get?
Perhaps someone else will come along with another idea/thoughts.
Perhaps contacting Fiat direct and asking them for their part number?
Not guaranteed to be accurate as it depends who deals with your request but what else can you do?
Well you could agree to Fiat doing the belt, then it's up to the workshop to get it right.
Good luck in your quest and let us know when it goes right, so many don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back