Help personal possessions insurance. (1 Viewer)

Keith475

Free Member
Jun 7, 2018
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Hi
Can anyone help with how to insure laptops and cameras.
House insurance can covers them when away from home but not when left in an unattended vehicle.
Van insurance does not cover them.
Additional personal possessions insurance limited to £300 per item.
Am I with the wrong insurance companies or do I need to carry my laptop and camera every where I go when out in my van.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We added two items of jewellery to our Admiral Home Insurance policy under 'All Risks'. Cost is around 1% of value. They wanted a valuation cert for my watch (£5500) but were happy with a photo of Jan's solitaire diamond ring at £4k!
John

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We accepted this kind of low insurance limit for personal possessions while travelling as a fact of life.

It means taking with us only low replacement value personal belongings such as our Swatches. We don't miss the higher value stuff we left at home (not a lot of that, in fact). That means less to worry about when we leave the van unattended and it feels more like we are on holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Possessions are chains which tie you down.

Insurance companies are thieves who know the nature of risk when their clients don't.

Never insured my laptop or my camera or my socks or my pants...

Never lost any of them at the hands of thieves or fire or acts of imaginary friends.

JJ :cool:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Am I with the wrong insurance companies or do I need to carry my laptop and camera every where I go when out in my van.

I only need my smart phone these days - No longer feel the need for a laptop or camera.
The phone does it all now and I never leave that in the van.
No need for contents insurance even though it's kind of included, there is nothing of value ever left in the van.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My paragliding kit has cover on my house policy from Churchill......

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Just done my daughters iPad Pro, laptop and phone with protect my bubble as none were covered adequately on the house insurance while she’s away at uni

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our house insurance covers them personal belongings away from home as long as they either with you or are left out of sight in a glove or luggage compartment in a locked and secured unattended vehicle. My laptop is stored in the motorhome safe when not in use and the phone goes with me when I leave the motorhome.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My phone is also my camera and is always in my pocket. Laptop is usually in the safe but is not an expensive one anyway.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi
Can anyone help with how to insure laptops and cameras.
House insurance can covers them when away from home but not when left in an unattended vehicle.
Van insurance does not cover them.
Additional personal possessions insurance limited to £300 per item.
I only carry a cheap s/h lap top,,cost me 100 quid,camera is my phone.Cycles 300 quid new so not really much to worry about..BUSBY.

OP
OP
K

Keith475

Free Member
Jun 7, 2018
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Thanks for your advice I have now sorted out my insurance. I get the point that you can get good results using a phone instead a camera but they do have limitations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back