Help on bike carriers please (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Can anyone tell me what weight I can put on my bolt on bike carrier we are off to Scotland next week for a month and want to take our lecci bikes each weigh 20 kilos but with battery and saddle off 15 kilos so the 2 would be 30 kilos is this too heavy grateful for any help

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks jim was thinking more of the pressure on the hinges to back of van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just bought a tow ball fitting carrier, because of the problems you state above. Just about to give it a three week trial down South......Really well constructed, quite surprised for the money.

Broken Link Removed

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
There should be a sticker on the rack somewhere, agree with jockaneezer about 60k for Fiamma

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We carry our 2 electric bikes on our fiamma rack which says 60 kilo weight restriction.
We do take our batteries off, never thought of taking saddles off thanks for the tip.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just bought a tow ball fitting carrier, because of the problems you state above. Just about to give it a three week trial down South......Really well constructed, quite surprised for the money.

Broken Link Removed

Would love to use one of these but we don't have a tow bar. Probably would cost around £1500 in all.
The bike rack is already there.
The 2 bikes with batteries and saddles taken off probably with the same as 2 normal bikes and they are meant to take 60 kilo so we feel ok with that.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The whole back door bent on Chrisboyo's FIAT PVC. He ended up reinforcing the door internally with wood. That was just two little electrics without their batteries.

Hinges were fine.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't put two electric bikes on a Fiamma rack mounted on the back door. The rack itself might have the rating but I doubt the door has. Of course, installations differ but I have heard of a back door being damaged going over a speed bump too quickly and it was only carrying normal push bikes.

If you have no alternative then as suggested remove the batteries and drive carefully!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just made two brackets to support my bike rack carrying two leccie bikes. Even though only 40kgs and rack rated at 60kgs far too much leverage on the back wall IMO. Hate too think how much a damaged rear wall would cost too repair. :eek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just made two brackets to support my bike rack carrying two leccie bikes. Even though only 40kgs and rack rated at 60kgs far too much leverage on the back wall IMO. Hate too think how much a damaged rear wall would cost too repair. :eek:
Someone was saying.....(at a rally, I think), that a German van on one of the Auto Routes lost the complete back wall of the van, when the bikes pulled it off.
Cant help wondering if attached racks do strain the rear panel, and encourage water ingress, or structure failure, after all, manufactures have been known to invalidate moisture ingress warranty when presented with a rear rack fitted van.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have just ordered a new PVC at the Malvern show and are having a tow bar factory fitted so that we can have a tow bar mounted bike rack. We currently have a fiamma door mounted one on our Autosleeper symbol and even though our bikes are supposedly light weight aluminium it does seem a big strain on a door. Really like the look of that low rack, would be much easier to get bikes on and off. Seems like a very good price, could you give us a report when you have used it please Tootles?

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, we carry two heavy Kalkhoff Electric Bikes and I didn't want to trust putting such a load on the back of the van. I thought the Fiamma Rack would be OK but was concerned about rear of van. I have roof bars so I decided to make up a support bar that would take some of the strain off of the rack. The attached picture gives a better idea.

Rob

Attachments

• Motorhome 265.JPG
    Motorhome 265.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 51

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mines similar but supports from underneath, two pieces of angled one inch box section from the chassis to the underneath of the bike rack.
Lifts the rack about half an inch so when loaded the weight goes through the box section to the chassis and takes all the strain off the rear wall.
Cost me approx £50.00 and couple of hours to make.
Much cheaper and less hassle than a tow bar.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours fold and go in the motorhome garage. (y)

I think the rear mounted bike racks would put too much strain on the back panel. Just my opinion.

On the Hymer there was a motorbike rack and we put bikes on that as it was bolted onto the chassis. The Hymer was a much bigger, heavy duty beast though.

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
we have the WITTER zx200 (2 bikes of which 1 is elect.) fits neatly onto tow bar at the rear of our Sprinter and solved all our bike carrying probs. So easy to slip on over the towbar, then lock 'em on. they come complete with good quality straps/holders etc. when your biking is finished (back home) just simply unlock them and put them away in the garage before storing the MH in the storage yard.
Other makes are also available, go on-line, type in TOWBAR BIKE CARRIERS on Google and have a scroll through the variety available. Cost from £139 (suitable only for non-elect. bikes) up to about £400.
Good luck, just stay away from lightweight towbar types that are not made for the job!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
If you have a tow bar then definitely fix a carrier onto that. Saves all that back breaking heaving bikes onto a van mooted rack as well. None of us are getting any younger after all!

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
We bought ours at the Malvern show to carry our two electric bikes,combined weight of 50 kgs and have now travelled over 1000 miles since, fantastic value and easy to remove if you do not wish to use it,plus you don't have to do any unnecessary lifting like you do with fiamma racks if they are fitted high up.
Broken Link Removed

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
There's a million motorhomes out there with rear mounted cycle carriers with no probs I've had one on every van I've had .....don't overload it and it will be fine

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Even if the rack and MH can take the weight, have you tried lifting your electric bikes up onto the rack? OK if you are going to do it as a two person lift, but a struggle for one.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Use my bike rack with 3 bikes and no problems at all. 50 kg rating on the sticker :)

Lots of common sense approach to the load, weight distribution, lifting on and off and you should be fine :)

While we can all give you advice and our experiences, you're the only one that can make the decision or not :)

Why not get it looked at by a company that fit these items, or a fellow Funster if they're experienced and close by, as it may all help :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have two electric bikes and struggled to lift them onto our bike rack even with the batteries removed as it's so high off the ground and also obscures the reversing camera. To overcome this problem I'm having a towbar fitted which will carry a 2 electric bike rack. Being fitted tomorrow at Watling engineers.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have a tow bar bike rack which works well and we are pleased with.

However, if you do decide to buy one, measure the distance between your bike wheels as electric bikes are longer than standard bikes and won't fit on all tow bar racks.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We have a PVC with a fiamma and its says 33kg max weight we tend to use a towbar mounted 1
feel safer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back