North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
IMG_0043.JPG
Hi Folks

Please bear with me on this. Bit of a long story.

Back in August at the Malvern show we had our 8 yr old dometic tower unit serviced by their (Dometic) on site engineer. As part of the service, the nice guy changed a part which we now know to be called the burner (i have included a picture)
All was well for the rest of the year.

In december we had the van serviced and a hab check done. Unbeknown to us the idiot left the fridge searching for gas instead of on the leisure battery. We switched the gas bottles off as we werent using the van for a while. I didnt notice the click click noise driving the van home from the service due to engine noise and the usual rattles.

On setting off on our first trip in a while i discovered the problem. I have contacted a mobile dometic approved engineer local to me a few times but he is either too busy or cant be bothered to help me, so just fobs me off.

Being the hoarder that i am, i kept the old part from Malvern and swapped it back today. Lo and behold it is working again on gas. However as the Malvern engineer stated, it could fail at any time (He was surprised it had lasted the 8 years) so We have spent today trying to source a new replacement for as and when the inevitable occurs.
Leisureshop direct inform us that they have contacted dometic and cant get the part as the fridge is "obsolete"
We have seen the part we need on leisurespares.co.uk website but they supply to trade only we believe. In addiiton, they also may not actually have the part. We will be contacting them tomorrow as we have the part number from their website, but are concerned that if they dont have the part we are in trouble. Wild camping and rallys will be a no no in the warmer weather.

Is anyone able to recommend suppliers for dometic fridge parts Or any helpful suggestions, they could share that would be most useful.
IF they (Leisure spares.co.uk) do have the parts but will only supply to trade, are any MH fun trade members able to order the part for us?

Our fridge is a Dometic RMT7655L
Number 921086712

Thanks
John

Please note taking it back to the man that did the hab check is not possible as he has emigrated.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
This looks vaguely similar to my AMERICAN Dometic fridge Burner / igniter?. Have you looked on US sites?.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
This looks vaguely similar to my AMERICAN Dometic fridge Burner / igniter?. Have you looked on US sites?.
No we havent yet....didnt even know they sold them there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
These burners go on for many more than 8 years and as far as I can see from your photo yours looks to be in good condition. From your story I was expecting the igniter module to be the faulty part. There is very little in the burner unit that will fail completely.

D.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
These burners go on for many more than 8 years and as far as I can see from your photo yours looks to be in good condition. From your story I was expecting the igniter module to be the faulty part. There is very little in the burner unit that will fail completely.

D.
The picture is of the one that was fitted last august. This has stopped working, so the original has gone back in. That doesnt look quite so new(n)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
like dave i cant see what can go wrong with the burner if theirs no obvious damage or bad corrosion was the fridge not lighting or lighting and not staying alight?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Looks like the 2nd link has been ****** out, don't know why, maybe Jim dosnt like the company.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The picture is of the one that was fitted last august. This has stopped working, so the original has gone back in. That doesnt look quite so new(n)

Fair enough but there is almost nothing to go wrong with the burner other than corrosion and dirt blocking the gas jet and/or air holes. The two electrodes have also been replaced I assume? One is the igniter the other is the flame rectification electrode. The problem maybe the igniter electrode has gone open circuit if it was left firing indefinitely but I would have expected the spark generator (igniter module) to fail first. I'd say it'll be OK most probably but If it were me I'd probably try to get a new igniter module just in case.

D.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Server not found. often means the company haven't paid the bill!:whistle:
No, it works fine, the company is
out
door
bits

Maybe that will show lol

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Fair enough but there is almost nothing to go wrong with the burner other than corrosion and dirt blocking the gas jet and/or air holes. The two electrodes have also been replaced I assume? One is the igniter the other is the flame rectification electrode. The problem maybe the igniter electrode has gone open circuit if it was left firing indefinitely but I would have expected the spark generator (igniter module) to fail first. I'd say it'll be OK most probably but If it were me I'd probably try to get a new igniter module just in case.

D.

Am I correct in thinking that the Flame failure and Igniter parts tend to be (mostly) generic across the range,? with only the actual design of the burner being different?. The FF and Igniter elements look exactly like those from my Old (1994) R-V?.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
These have them:

http://www.**********s.com/dometic-burner-without-nozzle-service-p-3880.html
Thank you. Have tried both these links and yes they have sold the part previously. Neither have them in stock now though. Will ring them later to see if they are going to get them :unsure:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Am I correct in thinking that the Flame failure and Igniter parts tend to be (mostly) generic across the range,? with only the actual design of the burner being different?. The FF and Igniter elements look exactly like those from my Old (1994) R-V?.

Mostly yes but some are different.

D.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Was making a ticking noise, but never saw a spark. Assume not as it wasn't lighting.

Fingers crossed we may have managed to source a part. Will know next week.....
Where from in case fellow funsters need to get hold of the same part(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, it works fine, the company is
out
door
bits

Maybe that will show lol
Part of another motorhome forum, now Canadian owned, with the same initials as fun but full of argumentative pendants and overzealous moderators.

their URL is banned on FUN.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Where from in case fellow funsters need to get hold of the same part(y)
Ah that will have to be my own personal secret supplier:D2
Only joking. The name escapes me right now as i am away from the paper i wrote it down on, but will let you know if/when it arrives:)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've never been refused spares from leisureshopdirect, ie, if it's in stock, they'll supply.

I had a Dometic supplier tell me that a part for our Electrolux AES fridge/freezer was obsolete, and no longer available. When contacted about the same part, leisureshopdirect asked me how many I wanted. :LOL:

Good luck with the repair @Stagman. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
I've never been refused spares from leisureshopdirect, ie, if it's in stock, they'll supply.

I had a Dometic supplier tell me that a part for our Electrolux AES fridge/freezer was obsolete, and no longer available. When contacted about the same part, leisureshopdirect asked me how many I wanted. :LOL:

Good luck with the repair @Stagman. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Leisureshop direct told us they had contacted dometic and couldnt get the part.

We have had success however....Strangely leisurespares ltd did not have that problem and have sourced the parts from dometic for us.

Therefore one member of staff at either leisureshopdirect or at dometic have not been particlarly honest with us :mad:

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Update!!

Thanks to the wonderful team at LeisureSpares Ltd (www.leisurespares.co.uk) we now have the part we need. Arrived this morning.
Strangely they were able to source the part from dometic....despite what we were told by the other parts provider/dometic.

So all is good. Thank you to all of you who offered advice:)(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you could hear ticking but couldnt see a spark at the burner there is obviously a short in the lead and its earting down somewhere it shouldnt could be the lead has come of at the terminal on the module

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back