Stuartgriffin

Free Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2014
Seems to track in between layers in floor wasnt sure how the insulation in floor is

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Seems to track in between layers in floor wasnt sure how the insulation in floor is

I can't see that myself, although water will spread and may pass through any insulation I cant see how it can then rise back up on top, it could only drain out of the bottom surely?

maybe drill a 20mm hole carefully into the floor from underneath where is seems damp, if water comes out result, then a plastic cover over to protect it

But it must still be coming in higher up and I am with Andy, the heater and its vent must be favourite, at least to check first

Maybe have the heater on maximum when you spray the roof next, or wait for heavy rain, (due tomorrow) listen for any hissing where the water is hitting something warm

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,you’ve already had two professionals look at it,and they’ve both failed.
I’m no expert,and can’t see the van.
The mistake they have made,is that they haven’t found the source of the leak. They have repaired the damage,but not found the cause.
You have to remember that water will always follow the path of least resistance,and will travel a long way to do so.
So you have to strip it back as far as you can to trace the source.
I do have one seemingly crazy idea........... how about using a dye,it would have to be non staining,and applying this to an area you suspect is leaking e.g.a joint on roof or side. Apply to a small area at a time.
Yes,crazy,but what else can you do?
Good luck. I hope you get some more ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Then you will have to lift the top or covering layer of flooring..to expose the insulated layer...is it dense foam sandwiched between a base board and the covering floor pannel?
Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It seems you can't do any more damage so set up a hose pipe with a spray head aimed at one side of van at high level then get inside on your belly with a good torch and see if there's ANY signs of water at floor level.
Do the same at the other side.

Dont just do it for a couple of minutes, that will prove nothing.
Leave the hose running and keep looking & feeling for 1/2hr.

Even if the floor insulation is cracked (unlikely) once the crack is full of water it has to go somewhere so get wet and crawl underneath and see if it's dripping anywhere.

My thoughts are its finding it's way in around a window frame then down the inside of the inner wall skin then running out onto the floor (the walls are built ON the floor) near the heater....and the only way to see it is as above.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
can you easily post a photo of the roof?

I think that if it were a skylight you would see the leak, my money is on a vent, or how about a after market solar panel or satellite where the cable enters?

edit - or as PJ says above, a side window which as he says could then run inside the panels unseen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
do you have your own damp meter? basic prong jobbie would do from wickes

if it is coming in at a side window you should quite easily find much higher levels of damp under the offending window, if dry above, bingo (y)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Try sticking a plastic bag over boiler vent and tape it down might eliminate the boiler vent then or make it the culprit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back