Help -No solar output on control panel (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hymer EBL101 - Currently in the sun but there is no solar output showing on the control panel over the door. It was definitely showing solar gain 2 days ago. I first noticed this yesterday when we were driving and the batteries were showing fully charged (128Ah in our case) so I thought perhaps the control panel wouldn't show a solar input if fully charged although I didn't think that this was likely. I have connected up EHU and a charge of +4.2A is showing so that side of it I think is working.
I have taken out the 15A solar fuse in the EBL and it's okay. I guess there is another fuse nearer the solar panel and wonder if this has blown? Any ideas??
Is the solar regulator integral to the ebl -not sure what it looks like if it isnt?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does the solar gain usually show when there is another charging source like EHU or engine alternator, I imagine that the on board charger will take priority and the solar will just go to standby.

No the solar reg is not integral to the EBL and does not always go through it, although if you do sometimes get solar gain showing it must be wired through.

Martin

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It could still be exactly as your first thought ..ie the batteries are full and no output from solar is required... the 4.2 amps from the mains charger could drop very quickly..how long did you watch it for ?
Best way to find out if solar is contributing is to apply a load to the system and see if the solar is working..
Theres unlikely to be a fuse on the solar input..its not normally required.
But if you could locate the controller you could check the panel voltages with a meter...
Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The ebl101 does not contain a solar regulator.
Were you able to see solar charge for the engine battery as well as leisure battery?
If so you probably have a schaudt controller and it will be close to ebl101 since the data lead is very short.
Any other type of controller could be anywhere between battery and solar panel.
Often there is a fuse between solar controller and battery.

Is it possible battery voltage with engine or mains on is high enough to make solar controller think batt is charged so cuts output.

You could disconnect from mains, put load on batt to get it down to , say, 13.4 , and see if solar charge starts.

Probably best to find solar controller and check voltage solar panel and from battery.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
My solar panel had reduced power and it turned out to be loose connection between panel and controller

OP
OP
P
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thanks folks -slow to respond as been doing the tourist thing -Le Corbusier chapel at Ronchamp.
I have located the controller behind the Ebl under the passenger seat. Awful access... Suspect that it is a Schaudt as Sandra and Martin suggest. As getting charging on Ehu and alternator I think I will leave until we get home.
Definitely no solar input -discharged down to 115Ah and still no solar recorded (it normally charges both leisure and hab batteries).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back