Free Member
May 18, 2010
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
since 2000
Hi to every one i am a new member and just bought a mercedes autorail 208 td 1989 from ebay
i am collecting it this saturday 22 5 10 is there any thing specific that i should look for when i collect it has 12 months mot and tax for 6 months new turbo new tires new exhaust new pads and discs any advice would be great thanks for listening all the best mick:roflmto:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi Micky,

there is a downloadable ebook of Lists that you can download from a link on the home page. costs a nominal fee, and proceeds help run this site.

three of those lists will help you - predelivery checks inside and outside, and test drive. Really helpful.

David

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
oil leaks and rust. The engines are pretty good, and go on forever and a day. check for leaks underneath, as these, although not terminal, can be expensive to repair.

Major problems with these are rust, wings door pillars and windscreen area - when the go, they go! Also chack chassis and around the back end. and front crossmember.

Pick yourself up a damp meter and go round with that - a vehicle of this age may have a water leak somewhere. Check the body for delamination (bulges, particularly near joins)

Don't expect perfection, but on the other hand, if it has quite a few imperfections, you may save some money searching private ads.

Not a fast vehicle by any means, but sturdy, reliable and will go on and on and on - just for as long as you keep the rust at bay anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Hi to every one i am a new member and just bought a mercedes autorail 208 td 1989 from ebay
i am collecting it this saturday 22 5 10 is there any thing specific that i should look for when i collect it has 12 months mot and tax for 6 months new turbo new tires new exhaust new pads and discs any advice would be great thanks for listening all the best mick:roflmto:

check front bulkhead and front member for rust

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mickyv

mickyv

Free Member
May 18, 2010
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
since 2000

Hi Micky,

there is a downloadable ebook of Lists that you can download from a link on the home page. costs a nominal fee, and proceeds help run this site.

three of those lists will help you - predelivery checks ins ide and outside, and test drive. Really helpful.

David
thanks david very helpfull cheers Mick

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Hi, Mickyv, and a very warm welcome to MHF. It may seem like an asylum, tho' it's far better than any I've known, from Broadmoor to Barming, but it's really a home for the bewildered as well.

Anyone starting out in Motor homing has to be bewildered. The marriage of a vehicle and a house is more complicated than either. So, while I can't give you any specific advice, there are thousands here who can... my advice is ask, and keep asking. Even if you think it's something you ought to know, and just want to check, others will benefit.

So, drop in, enjoy, and go for it.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back