Help needed. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Long story short.I'm in Poitiers , France & The van has to be recovered back to spain as the engine has gone. I'm looking for someone who can help track me down a one way vehicle vehicle hire as I think it is the best way having Alfie the dog with me. ADAC are on the case but can't find anything .They've also offered train or plane. Problem with train is I'm sure dogs aren't allowed in spain on them ?
The quick look at planes seem to indicate no direct flights? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Got to pop out but will be back shortly.Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are you looking for onward to UK or return to Spain ?

Edit - just spotted the reference to Spanish train so gave answered my question

Hope you get something sorted easily

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Took our dog on a Spanish train to Bilbao, no issues.other gogs also on the train.worthwhile to check directly.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Can't help with the car hire (and I think it's unlikely you would get a one-way hire from France to Spain) but we are less than an hour south of Poitiers, so if there's anything at all we can do to help, just ask. I have to go out tomorrow morning, though, won't be back till late afternoon.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is the motor blown or could a repair in france be carried out cheaper than recovery and hire car?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sorry to read this Richard.

One way hires are expensive. Can't you be transported back with the motorhome? Or is Alfie the problem with doing this?

Otherwise a one way hire in France and another in Spain may work out cheaper.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Sorry to hear that. Could you get a car to Hendaye then walk over the border to Irun?
That is a possibility.
Bit expensive Richard but expedia are doing one way hire over 2 days £814

I'd have swallowed that until I noticed the km charge
is the motor blown or could a repair in france be carried out cheaper than recovery and hire car?
It appears to have thrown a cam belt bearing so causing belt to come off. It doesn't spin so definitely valves damaged.
Sorry to read this Richard.

One way hires are expensive. Can't you be transported back with the motorhome? Or is Alfie the problem with doing this?

Otherwise a one way hire in France and another in Spain may work out cheaper.
I don't believe I can be. I think I might have to look at one way to The border & then a spanish one ?

Other problem is accommodation. Can't stay in the Fiat yard in van until sortedue to alarms & cameras + they aren't doing any work on it as adac told them it is going to be repatriated. The Ibis hotel I¡m in tonight hasn't a vacancy for tomorrow.:crying:

Just had a quick look at flights & none appear to be direct:frowny:

& today's our wedding anniversary .:smiley:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably cheaper to do 2 one hires one to the border then one on the Spanish side.

I take it you don't have breakdown cover as they would have sorted out the car hire.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thinking outside the box, how about van hire? might be cheaper. or buy a banger, drive it home, then sell or do a deal with scrap yard for an engine

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As long as the law hasn’t changed in France, you can take your dog into a hotel room. When I lived there you couldn’t be refused any accommodation on the grounds of having a companion animal with you.
Sorry about your van problems and hope you can get it sorted and get home ok.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can take dogs on the RENFE /FEVE railway which goes to Hendaye. It's very slow (been on it) but this could get you to say San Sebastian.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Richard sorry to hear about your MH,
Can’t help in anyway except to send hugs and what s way to spend your anniversary !
Hope you find somewhere to sleep.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I’m so sorry. I only live about 40 minutes from Poitier and would gladly help out but we are in Spain at the moment.
You might be able to get a flight from Bordeaux but you’ve still got to get there and with the dog the train is definitely the best option. Think all the trains will probably have gone now but perhaps try to find a hotel near the station and then investigate trains.
My sister in law did train from Portugal to uk once and it is long but definitely possible to Spain to as well and the network is getting better
Good luck

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aww man that's a bugger. Can't help in any way regarding transport etc

If that's the cheapest car hire €800 And odd.

A better suggestion would be to buy a cheap car and sell it again later...

Facebook marketplace I'm sure you could pick one up for less than €500 and resell

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
I can’t help either as I’m in the UK.

Do hope something can be sorted for you.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Sorry to hear about your problem

Could you do a deal with a local taxi firm?

Could get a 'reasonable' deal for a distance job

Good luck anyway (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've had a quick search and a three day car hire from San Sebastian Airport to Corvera Airport, full to full, isn't bad at all.

Don't know about a French car hire price though.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Richard, re the trains, is Alfie heavier than 10kg, as that seems to be the point at which it would be a no.
Also if 10kg or less must still be in a suitable carrier (max 60 × 35 × 35 cm)
What a shame all this is, celebrations will need to be delayed a while. Janie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
On the French side, trains accept dogs, though you have to buy a half adult fare ticket, and they must be muzzled. And under 6kg dog is cheaper but caged.
It seems San Sebastian is the place to head for and leave from again. Lots of train options, depending on Alfie's weight. Janie

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Why not try BlaBlaCar.fr? I haven’t ever used it myself but have a friend who regularly uses it for long journeys.
I just did a quick search for tomorrow morning and found several options for Poitiers - hendaye just as an example and the first person charged 45 euros per person, had room for 4 people and accepted animals. Didn’t look at the rest as on my phone.
BlaBlaCar exists throughout Europe. I tried Poitiers to Barcelona as another “test” but nothing til 28 June. If you can break your journey it might be easier. Good luck.
Anything we can help you with we will do our best, just ask

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Probably cheaper to do 2 one hires one to the border then one on the Spanish side.

I take it you don't have breakdown cover as they would have sorted out the car hire.
yes I do adac .They sorted first part offered me the 3 choices & I stupidly waited from 3pm until too late waiting for them to ring back .when I got to hotel & rang them they staed they had been waiting for the hertz office here to get back to them.When he then rang , obviously ,the office is shut. See below for rest
Hope you find somewhere to sleep.
Hopefully ,fingers x'd I won't be needing anywher tomorrow.
depending on Alfie's weight. Janie
He is only 9,4 kgs.

So sorry about delay, lost internet then had emails to send. .Got on to hertz online, input collect & drop offs & comes up with 'contact' for price.
Rang up hertz international & from 10am tomorrow until same saturday , unlimited kms, pick up here in town centre drop off at there location in Murcia ,753,79€ which includes the 450€ 'repatriation' fee. Plus if ADAC get it also sorted in the morning I can cancel this & take theirs without any charge. They've sent me the confirmation so fingers x'd .:pray2::pray2::pray2:
Thanks for all the help ,it is appreciated.I'm off to bed now.Night

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something not mentioned so far .. Why not buy a P.O.S. for a few hundred €, drive it home, then flog it ? Proly work out a lot cheaper in the long run :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back