LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
My battery light,engine,is showing all the time now, eating it's nit chargING however since this started the engine revs are higher,the battery is less than a year old,so I'm thinking it's more than a batt,but any advice please would be helpful, I really don't understand why the revs would increase?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
My battery light,engine,is showing all the time now, eating it's nit chargING however since this started the engine revs are higher,the battery is less than a year old,so I'm thinking it's more than a batt,but any advice please would be helpful, I really don't understand why the revs would increase?

When there’s no load on the alternator revs would increase slightly. Is the belt ok?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Alternator for sure - happened to me. The small increase in revs is the engine management system looking for a charge.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
It's either alternator or your battery split charge unit. Auto electrician can track down the issue in 2 minutes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As others have said alternator or belt.

Check belt. If it is ok and spinning. Then get a multimeter on the battery terminals and check for in excess of 13V when running.
If you are not seeing 13+ volts then it is most likely the alternator.

If both ok. Then you will need an ODB2 dongle. You can pick up a blutooth one for around £10 and find out what codes are being pushed out.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Cheers all,just took batt lead off while running,engine died so must be alternator,hopefully lol,now stuck in spain,on my way back to uk as well,was gonna risk it but sod that,will sort Monday. Thx all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Karl send us link to the done I need please mate,I got no idea wats Wat, maybe a visit to the ne is in my plans lol

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Karl my mh fiat ducato 130 multijet, how easy if u know,how to change the alternator?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
not hard bill i did mine in the booki it says remove the exhaust but you dont need to just undo the mounting of the power steering pump and i wriggles out.Its a working from underneath job so without ramps could be difficult
running fast is the classic symptom of a failed alternator

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Cheers all,just took batt lead off while running,engine died so must be alternator,hopefully lol,now stuck in spain,on my way back to uk as well,was gonna risk it but sod that,will sort Monday. Thx all
Not sposed to do that , not the stopping , but removing batt lead with engine running (n)

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Np all it does is re sets my radio,and a sure fire way to know it's the alternator

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Np all it does is re sets my radio,and a sure fire way to know it's the alternator
If it wasn't the alternator before you did that it is a sure fire way to kill the alternator - and possibly the engine ECU and others. If the alternator is OK it can output a much higher voltage than it should - certainly enough to kill it and anything connected to it. You may have got away with it more than once in the past but it really is a very unwise thing to do.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not necessarily the alternator. If the belt has gone then it won't have charged the battery so when you removed the battery.....
Did you check the belt? If it is intact check it is turning when the engine is running.

Karl send us link to the done I need please mate,I got no idea wats Wat, maybe a visit to the ne is in my plans lol
Do a search on ebay for "ODB2 Blutooth". It would be good to see you again. @Wildbill is the man for the job (y)

Karl my mh fiat ducato 130 multijet, how easy if u know,how to change the alternator?
No idea sorry. Mine is an old 244. The alternator was a pig on mine apparently and they bust the bracket changing it. Should be a local garage that could do it at reasonable price.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If the belt has gone and the battery has been run well down, this would also cause the radio to reset.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If it wasn't the alternator before you did that it is a sure fire way to kill the alternator - and possibly the engine ECU and others. If the alternator is OK it can output a much higher voltage than it should - certainly enough to kill it and anything connected to it. You may have got away with it more than once in the past but it really is a very unwise thing to do.
Thanks for reinforcing the point , sometimes I am not forceful enough , and as you say its not a good thing for someone to think "thats a good idea to do a quick check" when it would possibly become a self fulfilling prophecy :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp