Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
I have a problem and wondered if anyone knows the solution.

The USB ports on my Toshiba laptop have stopped working. No particular reason as far as I know. I've had a wireless mouse in one of them for a couple of years and I also use them for saving to my memory stick.

Help please. :cry:

Gill

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

The USB ports on my Toshiba laptop have stopped working. No particular reason as far as I know. I've had a wireless mouse in one of them for a couple of years and I also use them for saving to my memory stick.

Gill

It sounds to me that the laptop cannot find the USB ports, perhaps an idea to go to Toshiba website download drivers and re install drivers.

It happens sometimes, hope it helps, cannot do any harm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

an option may be a system restore to an earlier point in time.

failing that, dont know if it will do any good but, you could try updating the drivers.

click the start button then type USB in the 'search programs and files' box.

on the results screen open 'update device drivers'

on the next screen select 'universal serial bus controllers'

on the next screen right click each in turn selecting 'update driver software' from the list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blobsta

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 635 2016
Exp
30 years
Go into device manager via the control panel and look at Universal serial bus controllers.
The ones that have a ! mark on them, delete. Then do a scan for hardware changes. That should find them again.

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot to say that I'd already tried a system restore and it didn't help.

Tried pappajohns idea and done update driver software on them all but they all say the same - "the best driver software for your device is already installed"

Still :cry::cry:

I can't stand using this mouse pad, I'm so used to a mouse.

Gill

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Go into device manager via the control panel and look at Universal serial bus controllers.
The ones that have a ! mark on them, delete. Then do a scan for hardware changes. That should find them again.

Thanks, but none have a ! mark. Also I've just done as suggested by pappajohn in there.

Gill

Blobsta

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 635 2016
Exp
30 years
Then delete all usb controllers and then scan for hardware changes. You cannot physically lose the usb ports, its a software thing.

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Can you please explain how to do this as I don't want to delete the wrong things. Also how/where do I scan for hardware changes.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
is it just the wireless mouse that does not work ?

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp

Gill

Gill

First please tell me the model and the operating system you are running

Marcus

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Gill

First please tell me the model and the operating system you are running

Marcus

Hi

It's a Toshiba Satellite C650. It's either 2 or 3 yrs old - would have to check which.

I've been reading on the Toshiba forum and someone wrote about the USB working for a bit when laptop first switched on. I've just tried that and amazing - both ports worked from when I first switched on for 3 minutes. Strange! :Doh:

Operating system - Windows 7.

Gill

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi

It's a Toshiba Satellite C650. It's either 2 or 3 yrs old - would have to check which.

I've been reading on the Toshiba forum and someone wrote about the USB working for a bit when laptop first switched on. I've just tried that and amazing - both ports worked from when I first switched on for 3 minutes. Strange! :Doh:

Operating system - Windows 7.

Gill

the computer is cutting power to the ports automatically to ensure longer battery life

you need to go into driver settings as described above and untick the box that says allow operating system to switch off for power saving. save the settings and reboot the computer

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
click on the following
control panel
then hardware & sound
then device manager
then usb controllers
then usb root hub
then power management
untick the box
click ok

reboot

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
the computer is cutting power to the ports automatically to ensure longer battery life

you need to go into driver settings as described above and untick the box that says allow operating system to switch off for power saving. save the settings and reboot the computer

Thanks for trying to help.

Now very cheesed off with looking at this. Thought we'd cracked it as this (above) sounded like it must do the trick, but no, unticked all the boxes and still not working. (except for the 3 minutes they work when first switch on after laptop been off for a while).

I tried unistalling all the usb drivers and rebooted so drivers reinstalled. However, I got the following screen. Any idea why the bottom one has the red X?

Attachments

• USB prob screen shot.jpg
    USB prob screen shot.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I had a problem with a USB hub bought as an after-market - designed to operate four USB items from one socket.

After a while it stopped working - in fact nothing then worked in that socket. Computer taken to local repair shop (unusual for me - normally fiddle through myself). Fixed at very low cost - guy told me he had "flashed" (I think) the BIOS - the start up screen you sometimes see before Windows kicks in.

Now I am not pretending to know how that was done - but perhaps if another Funster does this may be the solution.

Steve

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/USB-ports-stopped-working/td-p/161830

Maybe you haven't tried this. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds. Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

Last edited:

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/USB-ports-stopped-working/td-p/161830

Maybe you haven't tried this. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds. Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

Computer Engineer breaks down in his car.
He opens the boot , opens the bonnet, tells his mates to get out, tells his mates to get in, closes the boot , closes the bonnet , turns the key and goes on his merry way.

Simple solutions are the best::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Ok - update.

Followed ShiftZZ instructions and it (USB ports) worked for nearly an hour ::bigsmile: and then stopped working again :cry:

Tried it again and same thing happened.

When USB working I checked out device manager and it showed this (first picture).

When not working it looked like second picture.

Note - first pic shows "USB Composite Device" but it's not in second pic ??? Will this be the wireless mouse, but why has it gone?

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Could it be that the BIOS is detecting a faulty USB port and isolating it?

May be obvious from the suggestion that I am no expert.

Steve

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I dont mean to be rude...just trying to help, but I don't see that you have been to the manufactures website (see my first post). Why not try that and download the latest drivers to your computer and the just load them, they will have the latest drivers as the problem may have been reported to them and they may have a update that might solve the problem.

The suggestions so far are all good...I cannot think of anything that hasn't been suggested.

I find that a visit to the makers website is always a good start point.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
I dont mean to be rude...just trying to help, but I don't see that you have been to the manufactures website (see my first post). Why not try that and download the latest drivers to your computer and the just load them, they will have the latest drivers as the problem may have been reported to them and they may have a update that might solve the problem.

The suggestions so far are all good...I cannot think of anything that hasn't been suggested.

I find that a visit to the makers website is always a good start point.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help Billy. I did try un-installing and re-installing the drivers on Friday but it didn't change anything.

Funny thing is, I powered down again and did the resore BIOS about an hour and a half ago and it's still working! ::bigsmile:

Puzzled - Gill

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Just to let you know that everything has now been working okay again for 2 days.

After trying everything else, to no avail, I followed Shiftzz instructions and after the 3rd attempt things were okay.

"With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds. Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart."

I did also un-install AVG and then re-install it. Don't know if it helped.

Thanks for the help everyone. :thumb:

Gill

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am so pleased..

Before you or anyone else gets any ideas, the suggestion did not come from me, I searched the web and posted what someone else had posted.

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back