Help needed with the kitchen! (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi,
We're at the stage of finishing the kitchen pod and really scratching our heads about the worktop. Can you use a laminate (chipboard with fermica top) in a campervan? Will is expand over the colder, wetter months?
Ideally we'd like to go for a black worktop which rules out solid wood.....unless that can be painted....although I dont know how successful that would be overtime? or if there is even paint available to suit?
Its just the colour scheme of the van (seats etc) really doesnt suit solid wood colours, which is such a shame as I love the look of solid wood....just clashes too much...weather it be a dark or light wood.
Any ideas
;)
Many thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As far as I'm aware Formica is dimensionally stable so won't expand \ contract to any great degree. You'd need to make sure the chipboard base is treated \ waterproof. If it comes with an MDF backing I'm not sure this would be waterproofed.
If you're meaning melamine faced chipboard I think you'd have problems with robustness and water ingress.
Probably best to plate your own base material (WBP plywood?) with Formica.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I would not use chipboard in a motorhome,one reason,obviously damp but the reason is (subject the amount of cut out removed) it is simply too weak. See if you can get hold of some lightwieght 15mm ply and bond a couple of thicknesses together then edge with your own laminate. It's a doddle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back