Help Needed Urgently - North Spain Laredo (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had the rear right tire blow out on the motorway on our way towards Sanandare. What a nightmare! We were stuck on the side of the motorway for over 4 hours. Trying to get my European breakdown people to understand the situation was the worst. Then they couldn't lift the van high enough when they arrived! Any way - we got it changed and we drove on and off at the next big place we found which was Laredo.

The entire tread came off and wrapped itself around the axle. In the process it has broken the floor of the LPG tank cupboard, but it is not anything needs fixing immediately. It also ripped the drain tap and the feed pipe off the fresh water tank, so we can no longer carry fresh water.
I have checked the whole underside and it seems that the wheel arch and all about it took a hard beating, but all is intact. Brakes lines are fine and fluid levels are not an issue. Breaks work well. But there is a very loud break squeak which we did not have before, and also from somewhere on the van, a very loud squeak at low speeds which we did not have before. I want the whole everything checked by an expert.

I need a good mechanic who can work on a Mercedes 1990 208D chassis, and a large sized garage. There is nothing in Laredo.

Can anyone help me find a place close by (Santander can't be more than half an hour away from here, Id even go there) where I can have the wheel/breaks/suspension checked out ASAP?????

It was awful!!!!
:notworthy::notworthy:

I'll write a thread about it later. It will help be de-brief! I have never had an experience like it, but thanks to the fine fello whose name I forget on this board who posted a video recently on what to in if you have a blow out!!!!!!!! (THANK YOU!!!!!!) I knew what to do, I floored it!!!! It worked.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Sounds horrendous. Sorry cant help but just sending you best wishes and hope some one comes along soon who can help. Stay safe .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. dont know of any garages as such .but entering santander just past the airport is like transport city . lots of garages around that area .
but i would say most village garages would be ok.
i always say stay off toll roads ,stay off motorways . you drive slower but in emergency its easier. plus all the villages have garages etc .
use the n634. its a good road.
i,m sure you will find someone . sorry cant be more help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks guys¬! :) We are in a hotel in Laredo, licking our wounds! Goiong to find a place to help us tomorrow I hope.
Anyone else?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How much longer were you planning to stay there?

Could it be an option to get a ferry back from Spain and get it repaired where you fully understand the lingo (y)

Presuming you can at least drive to a Spanish port, you sound close already

Good luck with the repairs, I do wonder if maybe the 'floored it' did some of the damage though

At least you survived to get it mended :) I look forward to the full story

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a horrible experience for you to suffer especially abroad, but glad to hear no one was injured. Hope you get thibgs sorted at a reasonable price and you get to continue your holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Glad you’re ok, hopefully the squeaks won’t be anything serious, maybe the damaged tread has bent the brake backplate or squashed the shock absorber shroud causing them to rub ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back