Help needed to get my head around Ipads etc (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Have been spending a lot of time looking at ipads etc. The two I have shortlisted are the Apple Ipad and the Samsung Galaxy.

Friends of ours have an Apple one thing I liked is that when photos have been taken you can get full GPS details on them. BUT I like the look and price of the Galaxy but cannot find the GPS feature on this one. Have you a Galaxy and what do you think of it and does it have the GPS feature?

colyboy

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'm thinking of a tablet, first to be answered is "will it do anything more than SatNav / Phone with Internet / camera do?"
This thread will be interesting.
May be a dumb question, but why is GPS significant?

The world seems to be becoming GPS obsessed.
Cant see the need on an ipad / tablet or whatever.
Or am I missing a potential use?

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi I am in the ipad camp.
For the past 25 years I have used msdos and later windows based computers but have recently converted to Mac and ipad. I wish I had done it years ago.
I particularly like the fact that iphone, ipad and Macbook syncronize though icloud. A photo taken with iphone automatically appears on the other devices.
I also find Apple products easy to use and the software that meets most peoples needs is free from itunes.
Another advantage is that you do not need virus protection and no longer have, the almost daily, updates for Windows.

If you don't want the recently launched ipad air 2 the air 1 and ipad mini have been reduced quite a bit on the Apple UK website.
They also sell refurbished with full 1 year warranty.

Hope this helps
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
A lot of MH people and others use the GPS capability in conjunction with Apps like 'CoPilot' for navigation. There are some that say it's much better than using a conventional motoring GPS.

I have an iPad wifi only version and wish that I had bought the 3g version.

For flying, I use a separate GPS unit bluetoothed to the iPad with a comprehensive Navigation program. A similar, though more simple version can be used in a vehicle.

iPad is my preferred tablet. More expensive though.

Bilbat

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2014
I have Galaxy tab because you can expand the memory with a micro SD card. I don't think you can do this with an Ipad.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I have an iPad, and I do love it, but it is somewhat limited compared with Android based tablets. My sons are both very savvy (19 and 20, of course they are!) and the eldest says that it depends on what you actually want to do with it! IPads are quicker and good if you have a Mac computer and iPhone so you can sync all your stuff. But Android tablets are more versatile as many have micro usb access which iPad doesn't have. He says the Hudl2 at Tescos looks like a good deal.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a Galaxy, an older model that I got at a great price. I wanted it for navigation, email away from home and as an e-reader. It does all I want and more. I've never used an iPad..... too much hype and to expensive for me but I know people that have them say they are the bees knees.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I tried a Hudl2 and took it back the day after I bought it. The screen was unresponsive. The Galaxy is a far superior beast for the same money for the older model I bought.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Why would you want to take photos with a bl*&dy great iPad (or Samsung Galaxy if you must:confused:) :eek:

If you want to have GPS information on your photos there are plenty of small compact cameras that will do a MUCH better job!

If you want a Tablet style device for general internet consumption then chose which ever one you prefer, they are all much of a muchness quite frankly.

Me? I think the Apple products are better made, nicer to use and better all round than all of the others(y)

Pays yer money and takes yer choice ;) The only real attraction to the Galaxy is the price, and that's not that much of a saving. You can now buy an iPad for £319 or an older style mini for £199. More than that will buy you the latest models but you may not really need them?

This might help...... http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Why would you want to take photos with a bl*&dy great iPad (or Samsung Galaxy if you must:confused:) :eek:

I thought that as well and the Galaxy is a lot heavier than just a camera. However the galaxy is smaller/lighter than a paperback book (which I would also have along) and I can edit photos and email them directly from the Galaxy. The camera has more megapixels and takes better photos though.

I suppose it just depends on what you want the machine to do. I use my tablet far more than I thought I would but it doesn't replace my PC or my camera. It's just another tool, a jack-of-all-trades which is useful for travelling.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everybody for your input. After reading the "Which" report on tabs. I think I am going down the Galaxy route.

colyboy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Bear in mind though that gps is only given if you are in a wifi zone or you have a 3G /4G sim at the time you take the photo.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The iPad has its place and a nice bit of kit. Lots of videos on YouTube covering how to use it....have a Google for dummy's guide to iPad. (No offence) I have dummy guides on most tech kit these days! lol

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am very firmly in the android camp, as I cant stand being controlled by the likes of apple what I can and cant put on MY tablet. plus you can upgrade by adding more memory etc

mentioned it last week, I recently bought a cheap £39 8inch tablet from a Chinese seller on eBay for my grandson. very impressed for the price and does just about everything an iPad can do for £400

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Jean and I have iphones, she has Ipad, I have Galaxy. I definitely prefer the Galaxy

Wyn

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Colyboy
The reason we have an I-Pad with GPS is so that it can be worked with a Tom Tom app downloaded from Apple (£60) . The I-Pad then sits on the Dash and gives you a large screen ed sat-nav !! Good if you strain to see a normal sized sat-nav.. I don't know if you can do the same with a Galaxy. Good luck..

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everybody I changed my mine again! and went for an Ipad 2 got a good price via JL with two years g/tee. Better prices around as they have just brought out a new ipad.

colyboy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm thinking of a tablet, first to be answered is "will it do anything more than SatNav / Phone with Internet / camera do?"

GPS is used for many apps - in particular it is used for augmented reality. Examples are an overlay on Google street view, broadcast satellite location, star mapping, and others. As well as the obvious stuff.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The only real attraction to the Galaxy is the price, and that's not that much of a saving.

I am not sure this is true...

It certainly is NOT true with smartphones but I must confess I know little about tablets.

I believe Apple devices are designed to "talk to" and "share stuff" with other Apple devices and are good at doing so...

... but when it comes to communicating and sharing with (the vast majority) of devices with other operating systems there can be compatibility difficulties.

JJ :cool:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

GPS can be a very useful tool. My son was driving on a motorway in France when he was involved in a collision, a young woman drove into the back of his car. He was not sure exactly where he was but knew that if he took a picture it would be Geo Tagged. Made it very easy to find on a map exactly where accident occured.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back