Help needed - Thetford electric flush toilet. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The pump on our toilet is constantly running, flooding the bowl.

The switch “clicks” when operated but doesn’t stop the pump. I can’t see how to get to the switch. The only way to stop the toilet running is to switch off the pump at the control panel losing all water pump activity. 44486C69-4B17-4FFE-AA27-E00968271242.jpeg

The switch is not accessible from the cassette locker.

Any suggestions welcome to allow us to continue the holiday.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks I will have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think it's more than just a solenoid stuck open. The pump is running and sending water to the toilet, and the solenoid valve is open allowing the water to come out. Sounds like a bit of a wiring problem maybe near the switch panel. I don't know how you get at the switch. If there's no access round the back anywhere, maybe the switch panel just prises out and clicks back in. Probably a mouse nesting in there :giggle:

If you can isolate the toilet wiring, and leave the rest of the taps working, you can use a bottle/jug of water to flush the toilet until you get it fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have checked all I can.

Having switched off the water pump I gave the solenoid a tap with a screwdriver handle. On switching on the water pump the toilet had stopped flushing. Pressing the flush button again resulted in the pump continuing to run again, so it does sound like a solenoid fault.

Hopefully, we have a mobile technician coming to look at it late this afternoon. If he arrives and fixes it I will post what the cause/remedy was in case anyone else suffers the same problem.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
I have had a similar fault, the pump / flush did not stop thus flooding the bowl. We thought we managed to stop the problem by repeatedly operating the switch. A short while later we noticed that water was flowing all over the hab floor. We isolated the water pump switch to stop the flow. A bit of a panic to dry the floor before there was any damage. It seems that the pump was running un-commanded ?
We got in touch with Thetford technical dept. Their advise was to replace the solenoid and the switch panel. Which we are going to do shortly. We have been using the van quite a bit recently, and the problem has not repeated. We isolate the pump when not in use, a bit of a fag, but better safe than sorry. Imagine the damage if 120 liters of water is pumped on to the Hab floor.

Buy the way the switch panel is easy to remove by gently levering it out of the toilet wall panel.
Please see my previous thread on this matter.

Panic....Thetford Cassette flush floods habitation area. (1 Viewer)​

I am unsure at this time if the solenoid or the switch panel is at fault. Please let me know the outcome of your fault.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wow! An interesting toilet thread, well done. Watching with interest for a cure 👍

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The mobile technician attended and diagnosed a faulty solenoid. Unfortunately the only one he had with him had the water connections in a different place so wouldn’t fit.

He disconnected the power supply to the solenoid so that we can run the rest of the water system without the loo flooding. We will “flush” with a water bottle for the last two days of our holiday.

Fortunately the m/h is already booked in for its first hab check on 25th July so the dealer will check it then, under warranty.

It cost us a £20 turn out fee but, at least, we are usable again.

If, on the dealer carrying out the repair, it turns out to be anything other than the solenoid I will post the outcome.

Thanks to those who offered advice, great stuff.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
The mobile technician attended and diagnosed a faulty solenoid. Unfortunately the only one he had with him had the water connections in a different place so wouldn’t fit.

He disconnected the power supply to the solenoid so that we can run the rest of the water system without the loo flooding. We will “flush” with a water bottle for the last two days of our holiday.

Fortunately the m/h is already booked in for its first hab check on 25th July so the dealer will check it then, under warranty.

It cost us a £20 turn out fee but, at least, we are usable again.

If, on the dealer carrying out the repair, it turns out to be anything other than the solenoid I will post the outcome.

Thanks to those who offered advice, great stuff.
Thanks for the info - how did they get to the solenoid ?

Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
If the solenoid was stuck open with debris or fault the water would not stop running if disconnected electrically.
I suspect the switch or circuitry if the water stops running when the wiring is disconnected

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
WOW ... that is cheap! Got a name and contact details please for future reference?
MJ Automarine Mobile Caravan Engineer. 07507 222600.

He covers West Wales so a long way from you. I would think his turn out charge to you could be considerably higher!😕

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If the solenoid was stuck open with debris or fault the water would not stop running if disconnected electrically.
I suspect the switch or circuitry if the water stops running when the wiring is disconnected
That depends on whether the water supply is pressure- or micro- switched.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I must admit I can see the logic in your argument.

As I said, if it turns out to be anything other than the solenoid i will post again after the dealer has looked at it on 25th July.

Jul 14, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarblazer
Exp
1year
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago in Cornwall. Same panic.
I managed to disassemble the switch panel to find out the the micro switch was jammed on be the little blue rubber button. Probably caused by over eager pressing of said button. I reassembled the panel and hey presto problem solved

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago in Cornwall. Same panic.
I managed to disassemble the switch panel to find out the the micro switch was jammed on be the little blue rubber button. Probably caused by over eager pressing of said button. I reassembled the panel and hey presto problem solved
Does the switch panel in my photo just pull off the wall?

If there is a knack please explain and I will check that out.(y)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes plastic clips around the edge, behind it everything is mounted on a PCB.
Thanks Lenny. I have pulled the panel away but the switch is hidden by the PCB.

I can’t see how to remove the board to access the switch Without possible damage. Perhaps I am better just leaving things alone until the dealer sees it on the 25th. Electronics are a mystery to me and even a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands ie mine!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For those of you who were interested in this thread the problem has now been resolved by the dealer we bought it from, during the first hab service.

The cause was a faulty PCB behind the “push button panel” in the toilet compartment. Ie the blue button for the electric flush.

Sue and Rick get the prize for correct diagnosi.

BTW West Country Motorhomes is the dealer concerned. They have always given us excellent service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back