Help needed planning my route (1 Viewer)

Annie Laika

Free Member
Jul 21, 2019
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip 400i
Exp
1 year
I’m going Portsmouth to Santander in October till March. Would love some help planning my route.
Free aires, best (cheapest!) beach sites, beautiful views and sights etc
Anyone willing to share an already planned, tried and tested full route would be appreciated.
Thank you all so much x

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You should find the ships captain and crew will know the route and deliver you safely at Santander

Where would you like help getting to from there ??

I’m going Portsmouth to Santander in October till March. Would love some help planning my route.
Free aires, best (cheapest!) beach sites, beautiful views and sights etc
Anyone willing to share an already planned, tried and tested full route would be appreciated.
Thank you all so much x

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I feel bad now that your thread stalled, but I think you need to quote a town or area as destination, the whole of the Iberian peninsular is slightly too vague (y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Sure you'll have a lovely time, but bear in mind that if we are out of the EU by then, you'll only be able to stay for 90 days, if you hold a British passport :oops:

Deleted User
It depends a lot on what you like doing, if the weather is good when you arrive it is worth at least a few days around the Santander area is good, coast and the Picos de Europa mountains.

We like thecarea on the East coast from Peniscola,Alcossebre, Benicassim, particularly Alcossebre, not overdeveloped but enough going on. On the way is Albarracin, a n old fortified town near to Teruel.

From there we usually travelled down to Almeria and Los Escullos, beautiful area especially for walking.

The Western/Southern route would take you past Burgos, Palencia, Caceres, Merida all of which are worth a look then possibly Cordoba, Seville and on to Portugal or Cadiz.

Spain is a big place with the much smaller and different Portugal next door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daisy Daze ?

Free Member
Aug 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Duetto
Exp
Since Oct 2018
Hi! Newbie here! I'm hoping to do similar Annie so I'm following this with interest. I'm currently full-timing in my van & super confident driving her in the UK but really apprehensive of going abroad in her...need to put my big girl pants on & get planning!!!

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi! Newbie here! I'm hoping to do similar Annie so I'm following this with interest. I'm currently full-timing in my van & super confident driving her in the UK but really apprehensive of going abroad in her...need to put my big girl pants on & get planning!!!

All I can say is that I guarantee you after 15 minutes driving on the continent you'll be used to it. You'll honestly be wondering what all the worrying was about. Plus there is less pot holes than back home. Insurance, break-down cover to give you peace of mind, decent sat-nav and a decent pair of big girl pants and you'll be fine.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Annie Laika

I spy with my little eye, a Red Flag over the Envelope image on the blue line on top of the page (next to your name).

Give it a Click(y)

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Septembers MMM magazine on page 86 has an itemised route from Calais to san sebastian and from there 3 other itemised routes to1 to Vinaros 1 to Valencia and one to Cartagena shoud be fairly simple to pick up from Santander. It may also be on their out nd about live web site or MMM site not checked(y)

Daisy Daze ?

Free Member
Aug 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Duetto
Exp
Since Oct 2018
Thanks for your encouragement Monzer...I've hear the roads are so easy to drive on but worried about staying in Aires etc on my own as I've read about people getting robbed..just want to feel safe. Will go shopping for big girl pants ASAP! ?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks for your encouragement Monzer...I've hear the roads are so easy to drive on but worried about staying in Aires etc on my own as I've read about people getting robbed..just want to feel safe. Will go shopping for big girl pants ASAP! ?

Ah right so it's more the security side of things that worry you. I'd say as long as you stick to the bigger type aires where there is plenty other vans about you will be fine. Probably means taking a bit more time online and on the apps looking at how much vans etc they can cater for.

The likes of Torrelominos and Benamaldena have huge spaces for vans right next to the beach so you would be highly unlikely to encounter any problems in places like those.

You could also take up some self defence classes. I would be more than happy to share the skills from my time in the elite special forces but 1 I am out of the country and 2 they are highly classified. Sorry :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back