OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you saw my other thread you'd know we had a wing mirror incident! We are both OK, but need a wing mirror for a 1990 Merc 208D or something similar which I could rig up for now. We are in the Dordogne, will be heading West and then South. Any one familiar with the area and able to suggest a place I could detour via to pick up a new mirror?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know how much mirror you have left but could you get a small bathroom mirror from a pound shop type of thing and strap that on with insulation tape

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you Spitfire, that's brilliant. Will make contact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We had the same scenario in the UK and wingmirrorman sent to our sons which was our next stop.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If it makes it easy you could have sent to us and pick up . Doesn't sound like you had planned this route but if it helps .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Would the mirror from the other side swap for now?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't know where exactly you are in Dordogne--it's a big dept.
Broken Link Removed
I can direct you to the one in Perigueux and know there's adequate parking.
They are usually on the out of main town sites.
There's also Broken Link Removed

Leclerc often have a good car bits section in larger stores.

If you're on any out of town shopping estate type place go into any shop and ask for norauto or feu vert. Someone will also help you.
Good luck.

Found this. Type in town, shows you auto shops http://www.autofr.net

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Also if you want to say which Dordogne town you're near I might know of one of above or a garage that can help you.
I lived between Perigueux and Riberac.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I did think of that but normal car places don't normally have motorhome ones :-( but could be lucky if it us a usual van one .

Motorhome dealers will order if they can but as you know 2. - 3 weeks is usually French wait ! !!

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you so much everyone.

I have indeed swapped the right mirror over to the left side. It is a must here. I have seen some norauto shops. Will stop in when I see another.

We decided that we would make a break for it - I have had plenty of those windy roads. We are now in Montauban, and will probably head in to Toulouse tomorrow.

I need the standard Merc 208D type mirror as listed by Spitfire above. Norauto probably won't have them but was hoping to see a commercial garage on my travels, they should have one.

Here is an interesting point: The mirror from the right side of the van has 2 to 3 times the filed of view to the one which I lost on the left. It is considerably better!!!! I would suggest always swapping them when traveling to France! lol

Many thanks spitfire for you help and kind offer. If we had not come so far South I may have taken you up on that!
Cheers mate!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on the south side of toulouse there is loads of truck garages and scrap yards . plus a big narbonne accesories place . they speak english in there .
but i,m sure you will find somewhere for a mirror .
there is one main road with just about every vehicle suipplier you have ever seen . we used to pass it on theway to saverdun think its all on the n20.
just past saverdun turn back to the town on the small road back off the n20 and there is a great big layby pullin with great rest area. toilets and cafe. picnic area.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
on the south side of toulouse there is loads of truck garages and scrap yards . plus a big narbonne accesories place . they speak english in there .
but i,m sure you will find somewhere for a mirror .
there is one main road with just about every vehicle suipplier you have ever seen . we used to pass it on theway to saverdun think its all on the n20.
just past saverdun turn back to the town on the small road back off the n20 and there is a great big layby pullin with great rest area. toilets and cafe. picnic area.

Thanks vwalan! :)

I just had a look at the map, it looks like the D820 runs down to saverdun and them becomes the n20 - is that the road I should aim for? I am going to walk in to Montauban shortly and ask around see if anyone can help me here.

Cheers!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my maps show it as n20 from up near cahours, montaubon ,toulouse , saverdun , foix and all the way to andorra . . might have a few changes on the way . but same road.
i did buy my map about 20 yrs ago. ha ha . but i,m sure montaubon will have one . if not and going south follow that road .
i avoid tolls and m,ways .
but below saverdun on the n20 or by pass road then come back on your self to the right great place to stop for a night.
from montaubon you may have to take the a20 for a short while as it took over the n20 for a bit.
hope you get sorted .

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Oooh! We didn't like the Toulouse area! The lovely little town we stayed in was actually quite a way South, but we got no sleep. On the other side of the river to the aire we were in there was a fair and music sage which played so loud our van vibrated - and we were at least 300m away, across a river and canal!!!!!! And they played until 3am! So we got up and ran south again, ever closer to Spain. We are just south of Tarbes in a lovely camp site, it is quiet country side and has even stopped raining. So we are hoping for a quiet night and some nice country walks. I am going to get a temporary wing mirror meant for caravaners from Norauto tomorrow and that will be a good enough temp fix for now.
Ever onwards. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back