Help Needed In Abergavenny Please..... (1 Viewer)

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Similar request as an earlier post, but this time in in Abergavenny. Heard of an S550 which is what I would prefer (love MB engines) Not advertised yet which is good news and whilst 170 miles is not too bad, it's still a fair trek to find it was a wasted journey especially for someone who does not know what to look for in the first place!

Understand it has the Mercedes OM601 engine which I believe is as bulletproof as these things ever are. Is the good reputation well deserved? What are the things to watch for on that engine and also the S550 in general?

Just asking for someone to take a look and tell me "yes, could be worth a drive" or "STAY AWAY"!! and if the seller seems reasonable. From our exchanges so far he seems sound (says selling due to worsening heath), but of course you never know!

Having said that, if someone was knowledgeable enough to look a little deeper and give an opinion (which is just that - an opinion) that would be great also and a huge help!!!! (y)

Beer tokens or Charity donations available ;)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you could fill us in a little more it might help. How old is it? The Hymer 550 on the Merc chassis rolls quite a bit, the Fiat might be a better bet if you can locate one. Another thing to bear in mind is they are very thirsty, one or two others might not agree but I can only go off my own experience of owning one in the past. Check for patched over holes in the interior walls. The one I owned suffered with condensation around the drop down bed and it needed to be dropped when not in use or you would find a damp bed.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
the Fiat might be a better bet if you can locate one.

SEDITION...

Off with his head!

(One is "whoops, I am stuck on some wet grass 'cos front wheel drive is rubbish then... bugger I need a new cambelt. The other is a MERCEDES Hymer.)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
SEDITION...

Off with his head!

(One is "whoops, I am stuck on some wet grass 'cos front wheel drive is rubbish then... bugger I need a new cambelt. The other is a MERCEDES Hymer.)

Are they chain belts like my E-Class?

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just because the Merc is a rear wheel drive doesn't mean it won't get stuck on wet grass. If it is a twin wheel rear wheel drive then the chance of getting stuck is very unlikely but can happen. Yes Mercs have a chain driven cam shaft but so do some Fiats. My Fiat 3 Ltr is chain driven and is a dream to drive.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just going back to the Hymer Merc 550 which is a short rear lounge (double bed only) there's more stability going on a ferry across the bay to Santander than driving in the Merc short wheelbase chassis.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just because the Merc is a rear wheel drive doesn't mean it won't get stuck on wet grass. If it is a twin wheel rear wheel drive then the chance of getting stuck is very unlikely but can happen.

Nit pick as much as you like...

The truth is...

Front wheeled driven motorhomes slip on wet grass (etc) much more than rear wheeled driven ones.

I have a twin rear wheeled Hymer and, yes, I got stuck once... I drove through a one foot deep, mini lake of mud taking a stupid short cut at Praia da Rocha... I wouldn't have got stuck even then had I not eased up, so stuff wouldn't fall off my table!

A FWD van wouldn't have even made it onto the field... never mind into the quagmire!

:restmycase:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
JJ, I'm not Nit Picking I'm just highlighting the different aspects of the chassis configurations. You are not the only one who has owned a twin wheel Hymer Merc. Mine had the registration number NCB60 and one of its previous owners was the chairman of JCB Diggers. I have also owned a Hymer Merc 550 single rear wheel drive. From a road stability point of view, and it's only my view I think that the Fiat chassis is far more stable on the open road. What other owners think is up to them and I've no problem with it. As far as wet grass is concerned as I've previously mentioned, the twin wheel Merc will always have more traction than a front wheel drive but a single rear wheel drive will struggle. A lot depends on the weight distribution because many motorhomes have quite large rear garages and are loaded to the gunnels. A mention was made about how good a Merc engine is. The Bremen engine is the Rolls Royce of engines and is still powering many Mercs today but the 5 cylinder isn't in the same class and it's not uncommon for number 5 cylinder piston to collapse. I'm on my 2nd 3 ltr Fiat and the engine is a match if not far better than any Merc engine apart from the Bremen. Based on ownership experience if anyone out there is considering a replacement motorhome then a 3ltr is the way to go. Although the 2.3ltr is a robust engine it's totally different to the 3ltr.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
it's not uncommon for number 5 cylinder piston to collapse.

First time I have heard of it...

What does "uncommon" mean?

Anyway...

You stick to your Fiat for your reasons...

I prefer RWD motorhomes because they are not so easily stuck on wet grass and ither, similar, surfaces.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @Gollom any more thoughts are you going to have a look at this one. There is a nice little camp site at Crickhowell but you can also overnight on the Car Park there.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
JJ just make sure your engine cooling system's in good order. This is friendly advice, if you haven't changed the coolant for some time a good flush out and recharge will benefit it. Poor coolant circulation due to a clogged radiator is a recipe for a very expensive repair bill. A good reason for number 5 cylinder to overheat and collapse.
Not to long ago I met an owner with a Merc 5cyl motorhome in Spain who had just got it back out of the garage after having to have a complete brand new engine fitted which had to be ordered and shipped from Germany. Number 5 cylinder piston had collapsed, the bill so he said, was an eye watering 14500 euros.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you Mr Rolandrat for your wise advice.

My radiator coolant is changed at least every year.

My oil, oil filter and fuel filter are changed every 5,000 kilometres (not miles). This sometimes means three times a year (more often than I change my bedding!)

I can (and do) keep an eye on my cooling system via the temperature gauge.

Mr Geoff Carney, the foreman at Joesph Cockshoots' main garage at Bellevue, Manchester, taught me and the other apprentices well.

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
If you could fill us in a little more it might help. How old is it? The Hymer 550 on the Merc chassis rolls quite a bit, the Fiat might be a better bet if you can locate one. Another thing to bear in mind is they are very thirsty, one or two others might not agree but I can only go off my own experience of owning one in the past. Check for patched over holes in the interior walls. The one I owned suffered with condensation around the drop down bed and it needed to be dropped when not in use or you would find a damp bed.

Year is 1990 with 181KM on clock. He wants £10.5K which I feel is quite a lot too much (most people who say £10.K are looking for £10K) It has a new cab carpet and curtains, just been serviced with new glow plugs and will have 12M MOT. There also seem to be 2 big solar panels on the roof. From what he says it sounds like it has been his pride and joy which would explain in part the price. My (inexpert) opinion is £8K - £9K is more like it - what do people think is fair and reasonable?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check how easy it is to make up all the beds and put them away again.

Our over-cab bed was a b*gg*r to put back up.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds a bit on the high side to me can you compare it with what Jeff & June were asking to give you a guide, buy if it's on excellent condition will fit ok were you want it could be worth it. @Puddleduck we find if you put then bed out with a movement of pulling towards you and up it's much easier than going straight up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I got £8K for mine. The one I sold had all the extras :)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
There's a 1993 one on Ebay for same price - might be a bargaining point as 3 years younger. You would have to compare mileage and condition though.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Another one for you to consider .... Ikonic Kampers have a 1991 S550 advertised as just arrived.

You might have to move quite fast if you find the right one as these old classic S class Hymers get snapped up by the hire firms .... we were pipped at the post on a really nice S660 last year.

Now happy with our old Fiat model .... for now.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I love rear wheel drive Mercs, trust me, you can still get them stuck on wet grass!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£10,000 for a 1990 Merc Hymer 550 with 180,000 kms on the clock is a good price or a bad price or some where in between.

They are more popular than the longer and heavier 660's because they are only 3,500 kilos so you can drive them on a normal licence even if you are young (or over 70) and they are under 6 metres long.

If it has been looked after well and is dent free and everything works (and I mean everything) then I would think £10 grand was fair enough and I would expect you to get your money's worth of use from it and resell it quite easily.

When I am on the road in Portugal in my 1987 660S, hardly a week goes by without someone offering to buy it from me. I explain that it is not for sale, but for €20,000 I might start thinking about it.

But, in reality, I don't think I would sell, even at that price, because where would I find a classic, practical motorhome of similar standard and layout to replace it?

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
What needs consideration with the older end of motorhomes is the wiring systems. My old Hymer Merc 660 had a birds nest of wires behind the dash and was a nightmare tracing faults.

codriver

Free Member
Jul 15, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
Hi Gollom. Just come across your post.
I live in Abergavenny and would be very happy to have a look for you.
PM me with details if I can be of assistance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back