Help!! my Truma heater thinks its a fridge (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We are in a bit of a pickle as atm we are living in our MH while work is getting done to our house and all of a sudden our Truma C 6002 EH has decided that instead of producing nice hot water , it will produce water at the sort of temperature that you would get in a freezer , BALLL FREEZINGGGG!!!!!
We are running it on Gas.
The heating ( hot air ) side of the Truma seems to be working ok , ( I'm not convinced its 100% as warm as it used to be but that could be due to the cold wind / weather atm )
However when you select just the hot water ( either 40 or 60 ) you just hear a click from the heater unit ( the usual click it would make during its boot up cycle just before the burner lights up ) the nothing , and if you go outside you cannot hear the burner burning , mean while inside at the Truma control panel there are no red lights , just the green and the orange.
If you put the heater onto Heating mode and hot water mode the burner will light up ok and the heating will work ( as above I'm not convinced its 100% as warm as it used to be ) and the water will also SLIGHTLY heat up just enough to take the chill out of it , but not even make the water luke warm.

The above is all on gas usage as the gas side of the Truma is all we ever use.
BTW our gas system is a Gas It refillable system.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With heating running you will still get hot water, so I reckon your boiler has dumped and there is no water in the boiler. Check your dump valve and the air release valve in the t piece at the top of the boiler, they are prone to jamming open they are there to let the air out when the boiler fills up. If it is the valve temporary fix is to clamp the drain tube from it.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Not the dump valve Lenny as when i opened it i heard the boiler empty the water , i then unscrewed the nut at the top on the red air release valve and got soaked ,,lol.
So i then re pressurised the system with the air release disconnected until water came out the top of the boiler then re screwed back on the air release hose , and still the boiler does the same , just one click and does not light up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't understand how you are not getting any hot water if the heater is working, it will take a lot longer and won't get as hot but should get reasonably hot water.
If the heating is on when you switch the hot water on, is it not turning on as water in the tank is hot. Wondering if a non return valve somewhere is sticking so only cold flowing through but that doesn't make sense either as the feed to hot tap should only be from the boiler.
I'm just thinking out loud, but can't really offer much help.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Can you put the electric heating on? It'll be a lot slower to warm up but will narrow the problem down to the gas heating system.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Can you put the electric heating on? It'll be a lot slower to warm up but will narrow the problem down to the gas heating system.
That might be the last resort for over the weekend until I get a chance to look at it in more detail.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I don't understand how you are not getting any hot water if the heater is working, it will take a lot longer and won't get as hot but should get reasonably hot water.
If the heating is on when you switch the hot water on, is it not turning on as water in the tank is hot. Wondering if a non return valve somewhere is sticking so only cold flowing through but that doesn't make sense either as the feed to hot tap should only be from the boiler.
I'm just thinking out loud, but can't really offer much help.
Atm the tank is cold to feel, if I turn on the heating the boiler will light OK,.
If I turn on the heating all that happens is one click, and nothing else, no lit burner, no hot water etc, the hot water is running through the heater ok as when I dumped the water heater contents, the water refilled into it and then if I open it again it will re empty

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you sure you have a good gas supply, when the bulkhead regulators fail hob and fridge often work ok but not enough gas flow for the heater.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If I turn on the heating all that happens is one click, and nothing else, no lit burner, no hot water etc,

I'm sure we get two clicks. Not long after we bought our Bolero (same as Barts) the boiler wouldn't light. Was at a show and Dave Newell took a look and found an operating rod had become disconnected - the nut had unscrewed itself. Screwed back on, nipped up with pliers and we've had no trouble since.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Are you sure you have a good gas supply, when the bulkhead regulators fail hob and fridge often work ok but not enough gas flow for the heater.
I'm thinking I might try a new regulator, I'm sure they are not expensive, as the problems started at the same time the gas was nearly empty, and we noticed the large gas ring on the cooker was only lighting up on half of its diameter, also just for info the fridge is still running on gas perfectly.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm sure we get two clicks. Not long after we bought our Bolero (same as Barts) the boiler wouldn't light. Was at a show and Dave Newell took a look and found an operating rod had become disconnected - the nut had unscrewed itself. Screwed back on, nipped up with pliers and we've had no trouble since.
Not sure where to start and don't want to create another problem until I have ruled out other things.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
BTW does anyone know does this heater have a fault code system??
And does anyone have a phone number for Truma support ?? If it exists??

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Are both your gas bottles turned on?
If you switch the heating off and the water on, does the water heat up?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Has some useful FAQs and details of Truma support.

Hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Well today we got connected to the EHU and yip you guessed it , hot water once again.
Strange that the burner in the Truma is igniting ok for the heat , but not for the water.
I'll have a look at them FAQ's when i get some time , as i need to get this sorted.
Not much fun living in the MH while doing up the house if you have no hot water burner :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Well I tried phoning Truma yesterday and after a few failed attempts at getting them to answer the phone, I finally opted for a call back from their phone menu, to which I'm still waiting, and I'll not hold my breath that they will either, in the meantime our mobile phone bill has just risen by £4.24 whilst being on hold.
What cover do I need to remove on my Truma C 6002 EH to see the fault code so that I can refer to the fault code chart that Speve linked above.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Well i must say i have to eat my words , Truma phoned me back this morning at 8am ......
Their verdict is its the heaters PCB , so where can i source one of them and what silly price will it set me back??

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think everyone is too afraid to tell you how much.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When Truma rang with the "good" news, didn't they (a) give an indication of cost and (b) where to obtain one?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well,there are lots of Truma partners and dealers authorised to carry out Truma repairs. Disappointing response from Truma I must say. I'd heard they were good on customer service but never surprised when it turns out not to be the case. Hope you find someone who can replace the PCB at a reasonable price.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Someone posted on here a couple of days ago, a link to a company that repairs caravan/motorhome electronics, things like motor movers, control panels and Truma gear. I wish I could remember it, it wasn't Apuljak or A&N, but they might be worth contacting ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Someone posted on here a couple of days ago, a link to a company that repairs caravan/motorhome electronics, things like motor movers, control panels and Truma gear. I wish I could remember it, it wasn't Apuljak or A&N, but they might be worth contacting ?
I'm gonna phone these 2 companies when i am going address the problem.
http://www.arelectronics.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d28_Truma_Ultraheat__Ultrastore_PCB_Repair.html

before that i will remove the cover etc on the heater and see if i can see anything myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back