Help my toilets broke (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I ordered a replacement aqua magic v toilet on Monday afternoon from Freedom motorhomes. We had tried everywhere in UK to get the right one, right colour etc. There were none in UK so Freedom contacted America and I got it at 10 am this morningNot bad 82 hours door to door.

BUT

To fit it I have to cut the water pipe as it is too high.

Two questions

1 How do I cut the brass clamp on the pipe so I can remove the pipe from the elbow ( and how do I make it watertight after )

2. Is the pipe American size. I don't want to cut it too short and find I can't replace it for another 24 hours as we would be without water.

Any suggestions GRATEFULLY recieved

JJSD

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
Firstly... How much too high is the pipe? Oftentimes you can push the pipes down into the floor and it will go down an inch or so, maybe that would be enough?
The pipe will be an imperial size mate and getting fittings for it will not be easy over here so do be very careful. I am assuming that when you say "How do I cut the brass clamp on the pipe so I can remove the pipe from the elbow ( and how do I make it watertight after )" that you are referring to the clamp that clamps the pipe onto the brass elbow fitting? If that is the case, I believe that the clamps are compressed using a special tool and cannot be re-used. The only way I can think of (without seeing the job) is to use a jubilee clip to refit the pipe onto the fitting, a stainless steel one would be appropriate. Maybe you can post a picture for us to see and then we can hopefully make some sensible comments mate?
Let us know

Keith

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A picture would be handy so we can see what you mean!::bigsmile:
But anyway!
Here is a link to the best plumbing supplier in the UK!

Link Removed

They must have something that can help you!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for the replies.

If I can"t do this SIMPLE job do you really think I know how to put a picture on here.

No chance::Blush:

A straight cut and jubillee clip is the obvious answer but I just don't know if it will be watertight.

ABP sell some sort of posh jubilee clip but as the pipe is so rigid I am loathed to do it until I am sure we can have the water pump on after I've done it.

Where did I go wrong in life. Why did I learn Latin at school. Why did I play sport and go to the pub all my " Learning " years. Why didn't I learn to do something useful !!:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
John your young daughter knows how to put a picture on the web::bigsmile:

Get her to post a picture on to her website and we can look at it there, she can delete it when your all done:Smile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
I think I know the pipe that you are talking about. Is it grey and very hard material? If so I think (I did say think......) that you have to heat the end up so that it will fit over the fitting and then clamp it down. If you try to clamp it cold then you will a) not be able to push it over the fitting and b) not be able to tighten it down if you were successful.....
Get Daisy to post a pic as Jim has said and we can try to advise you better...

Keith

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks again

Daisy is a waste of space. Too busy on MSN to help me !!

I have had a pm from someone who knows the answer . I will reveal all tomorrow.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi billym

Hi

When I needed to add a T for the washing machine supply I found a plastic push fit connector in the plumbers section at B&Q , it was slightly smaller than the pipe but by heating the pipe in boiling water it softened it enough to push it into the fitting.
So rather than cutting at the elbow I suggest cutting a piece out of the line after the elbow and re joining using a straight connector. My pipe is 5/8" , the nearest metric equivalent being 15mm .. (5/8 = 15.875mm)

Hope this helps

Jim

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I just replaced a hot water boiler on an RV on camp. He had cut the feed pipe to stop the old boiler from leaking. It was a simple job to heat up some garden hose and fit over the cut ends and then Jubilee clips to hold in place. Works a treat. The other idea of heating the pipe and pushing over the end is also a GOOD idea. :winky:

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Yes we've all sat on it - but it's in the middle of the living area NOT plumbed in!
We think it makes a lovely spare seat for visitors!

I have spoken to a man who knows, Damon Dunc & I have to measure the pipe to make sure he will send me the correct fitting & that's a job for tomorrow, I have to make these jobs last or I will have nothing to do...........

F

fordy

Deleted User
Yes we've all sat on it - but it's in the middle of the living area NOT plumbed in!
We think it makes a lovely spare seat for visitors!

I have spoken to a man who knows, Damon Dunc & I have to measure the pipe to make sure he will send me the correct fitting & that's a job for tomorrow, I have to make these jobs last or I will have nothing to do...........

OR DO IT ON !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

FORDY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for the help !!!!

DamonDunc at Starspangled Spanner pm,d me on here and sent me the very thing I needed.

I even manageed to do the job in about 4 minutes so it must have been VERY easy indeed.

The fitting was from the Flair-it range

www.flair-it.com

Damondunc keeps loads of the different types of fittings in stock:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back