help! my fridge has given up on me (1 Viewer)

J

jurooney

Deleted User
Hi, well it didn't take me long to need to seek help. My fridge has decided to give up the ghost. does any one know where i could either get a new one or someone to come and try and fix it for me. Its a norcold fridge freezer and Im living in Poole so any advice would be much appreciated, I'm a bit desperate so would appreciate any help. Thank you all by the way for posting messages to me it made me feel much better about my new experience and very welcome on here. Thank you again

Ju

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Can you provide more information?
Does it not work at all?
Does it not work when hooked up to electrical power?
Does it not work on gas?
Is the gas turned on?
Does the burner try and light or just click - go outside the Rv and listen.
Has the vehicle been parked for a while on a slope - the refrigerant may have fallen to the wrong place - a good drive round up hill and down dale might redistribute it.
If not sit down when you call one of the above - it's going to be expensive:cry:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Yes would be helpful to know what is wrong or does it just not work atall on gas or electric?

Sometimes removing the fridge from the van and letting it stand upside down for a few hours get's them to work again though.

Regards Pat

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi JU

sorry to hear of your troubles, you could try autoair they are in poole and may be able to help, I have dealt with duncan a couple of times from starspangled spanner and have been very impressed by his knowledge ( from me that is a great compliment )

hope you get it sorted

nick

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
same thing happened to us on our first trip out and complete novices we parked on a slant discover this was not good for the fridge,:eek:r sleeping!!!Doh: completely broke it un-repairable, lynda at stateside tuning (as bryan said) brought us one in from usa and its perfect, now i am paranoid about parking, expensive mistake not to be repeated:ROFLMAO: hope yours turns out to be repairable
ruth

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi, well it didn't take me long to need to seek help. My fridge has decided to give up the ghost. does any one know where i could either get a new one or someone to come and try and fix it for me. Its a norcold fridge freezer and Im living in Poole so any advice would be much appreciated, I'm a bit desperate so would appreciate any help. Thank you all by the way for posting messages to me it made me feel much better about my new experience and very welcome on here. Thank you again

Ju

Hi Ju
The first thing to check is look for a small pile of rust at the bottom of the flue, you can get bits of metal fall down the flue make apile of rust and short the safety cut out stopping it working next check the gap on the jet and wire brush the nozel
Paul

M

Mitch

Deleted User
Fridge

I'm no expert but a friend of mine who is a refridgeration and A/C engineer (he also has a motorhome) once told me that these are sealed units with a mixture of gas, so they can't be refilled and if they stand for long periods the gas settles in layers.

He said to try and "shake" the unit to mix and circulate the gas.

Last Saturday another friend of mine had the same issue, we took the unit out, literally shook it:whatthe:, not easy, re-fitted and "hey" it worked like a dream.

Tough job but cheaper that the £600 & vat & postage he was qouted. :Smile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
fridges

Hi

R-V/caravan fridges use a mixture of gasses in a sealed circuit to extract "heat" from the interior of the Unit, the "primemover" is Heat. Either a small flame OR an electric element (110/220 or 12volt). Using the principle of "partial pressures". (see your old Physics text books!!!!)

First check (or have checked) that the Gas supply is Ok and that the electric supply is Likewise. Clean up the burner of debris (rust flakes spider webs dead flies and small birds/annimals) check that all vents etc are clear. ALL the above will stop the "frig functioning to a degree. IF the frig; has been on an incline for some time you can try "turning" it through 360 degrees vertically and leave it in the 4positions for a few hours at each turn, IF the gasses are still in situ this can re-boot the unit. If it still won`t go At this point the unit has probably lost its "gas". Have you noticed a smell of ammonia? recently as this can be one of the constituant gasses.

A new Frig will cost "arm and Leg" refurbishing with new "unit" will cost slightly less depending on Labour. Years ago there was a guy in Yorkshire (Hudersfield way) who would refurb; them if you could get it to him. Paul Rees (ARVM) would know as they had a working relationship for some years in the `90`s. if he is still in the game. (my 2004 US Catalogue lists 2 door fridges from 12 to 1600 dollars) which will equate to that in GBP when it lands on your driveway) the one in my old Pace Arrow was Re-furbed at a cost of about £600 (1998 price)

Pete

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi

If you do find the fridge cooling unit is kapput DONT buy a new fridge complete. these people Mobile RV Maintenance Home Page 01869 351861 supplied me with a new cooling unit for mine which i fitted myself. it cost £480 in 2006. they wanted £200 to fit it but as i say i did mine myself.
They were really helpfull and had the cooling unit shipped in within 2 weeks.

hope this helps

Keith.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I would be very interested to know if they can still suply the elements now.

I used to bring them in but nowadays many suppliers in the States will not supply without the old elements being returned. They used to apply a hefty core charge but now they ask for them back. Cores, especially for the older model fridges are becoming very scarce and need them to re-condition and re-sell.

Imagine the cost of sending one of these things back to the States :Eeek:
unfortunately that, coupled with the price of a replacement unit makes the cost prohibitive so often a new fridge is the only way to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back